August Hawkins and his sister Prudence around 1900


Brookhaven-South Haven BLOG:  news, events, and commentary






Building Inventory Form

Table of ContentsReturn to Sites Table of Contents

Unless indicated below, this is a transcript of the original Society for the Preservation of Long Island Antiquities/Town of Brookhaven survey form.   Since most of the surveys were conducted in the late 1970's and early 1980's, much of the information reflects that time period. 

Corrections to obvious typographical and spelling errors have been made.  Corrections to factual errors in the original surveys, and updates or comments on the information are either enclosed in [square brackets], or are clearly indicated as updated material from the context of the comments. 

Sites which have a suffix of "S" are supplemental sites not included in the original surveys.

Building-Structure Inventory Form

Burnett Barn ("Red Barn" - Now Destroyed)

 If checked, this is a Supplemental Form, not included in the original surveys.

Click for:
 Photos and images

No Link Available

Related Sites Printer Friendly
Images People Other Documents Printer Friendly
Inventory Code: Br19.1-S
Prepared Date: 5/10/2004
Last modified: 5/5/2012
Original Submitter
Submitter Name: John Deitz
Submitter Address: 7 Locust Rd.

1-Building/Site Name:  
2a-County:   Suffolk 2b-Town:  Brookhaven 2c-Village:  Hamlet of Brookhaven
3-Street Location:   Abt. 321 Beaver Dam Rd.

 If checked, this site is within the Fire Place (Brookhaven Hamlet) Historic District

   4a-Public     4b-Private
5a-Owner  (at original survey date):    Betty Puleston 5b-Address:   

6a-Original:    Barn

6b-Present:    Barn & Community Center

 7a-Visible From Road

 7b-Interior Accessible:
7b-Interior Comment:   By appointment  
Building Materials 
   8a-Clapboard    8b-Stone    8c-Brick
   8d-Board & Batten    8e-Cobblestone    8f-Shingles
Structural System
   9a-Wood Frame Interlocking Joints    9b-Wood Frame Light Members:    9c-Masonry:
9d-Metal Comment:     
9e-Other Comment:     
    10a-Excellent   10b-Good   10c-Fair     10d-Deteriorated
   11a-Original Site  11b-Moved   If so, when?   (not confirmed that it is on the original site)
11c-Alterations:  Large windows added.  
Photo & Map
12-Photo Photos and images
  14a-None Known:    14b-Zoning   14c-Roads
  14d-Developers :   14e-Deterioration
14-Comment:   The "Red Barn" was totally destroyed by fire on the evening of Monday, January 18, 2010. See related links.  
Related Outbuildings
and Property

  15a-Barn   15b-Carriage House  15c-Garage
  15d-Privy   15e-Shed   15f-Greenhouse
  15g-Shop   15h-Gardens   15i-Landscape Features
15i-Landscape Features:   Fields and horse corrals
Surroundings of the Building
  16a-Open Land   16b-Woodland   16c-Scattered Bldgs.
  16d-Densely Built-up   16e-Commercial  16f-Industrial
  16g-Residential 16h-Other:   
Interrelationship of Building and Surroundings
Other Notable Features of Building and Site
18-Notable Features:       
19-Initial Const Date:   Reportedly constructed about 1900 (not confirmed)
Historic and Architectural Importance

The barn was a 1-1/2 - 2 story wood frame structure. The barn was originally a part of the Burnett Farm, although this barn was constructed long after the Burnett House itself (Br18B). It was one of the few remaining barn structures in the Hamlet -- once largely a farm community, and is typical of the small farm barns of the late 19th, early 20th centuries.

The field on which the barn stood – to the west of the Burnett homestead (Br18B) is stilled owned by the Wellington family heirs. The development rights to this land have been purchased by the town of Brookhaven. This means that it will remain an agricultural or natural open space for perpetuity. It is currently (2012) being farmed by the Hamlet Organic Garden (HOG) organization.

21-Sources:      Karen Rowley, Hamlet Organic Garden newsletters.  
Prepared By:
  J. Deitz
Supplemental Material: