August Hawkins and his sister Prudence around 1900


Brookhaven-South Haven BLOG:  news, events, and commentary






Building Inventory Form

Table of ContentsReturn to Sites Table of Contents

Unless indicated below, this is a transcript of the original Society for the Preservation of Long Island Antiquities/Town of Brookhaven survey form.   Since most of the surveys were conducted in the late 1970's and early 1980's, much of the information reflects that time period. 

Corrections to obvious typographical and spelling errors have been made.  Corrections to factual errors in the original surveys, and updates or comments on the information are either enclosed in [square brackets], or are clearly indicated as updated material from the context of the comments. 

Sites which have a suffix of "S" are supplemental sites not included in the original surveys.

Building-Structure Inventory Form

Post Carriage House

 If checked, this is a Supplemental Form, not included in the original surveys.

Click for:
 Photos and images

No Link Available

Related Sites Printer Friendly
Images People Other Documents Printer Friendly
Inventory Code: Br09B.1-S
Prepared Date: 5/11/2004
Last modified: 6/20/2011
Original Submitter
Submitter Name: John Deitz
Submitter Address: 7 Locust Rd.

1-Building/Site Name:  
2a-County:   Suffolk 2b-Town:  Brookhaven 2c-Village:  Hamlet of Brookhaven
3-Street Location:   Beaver Dam Rd. at South Country Rd.

 If checked, this site is within the Fire Place (Brookhaven Hamlet) Historic District

   4a-Public     4b-Private
5a-Owner  (at original survey date):    Old South Haven Church Parish 5b-Address:    PO Box 203, Brookhaven, NY 11719

6a-Original:    Carriage House and barn

6b-Present:    Church Hall

 7a-Visible From Road

 7b-Interior Accessible:
7b-Interior Comment:   By Appointment  
Building Materials 
   8a-Clapboard    8b-Stone    8c-Brick
   8d-Board & Batten    8e-Cobblestone    8f-Shingles
Structural System
   9a-Wood Frame Interlocking Joints    9b-Wood Frame Light Members:    9c-Masonry:
9d-Metal Comment:   The structure has been supported on steel beams and poured concrete basement walls after 2003.  
9e-Other Comment:     
    10a-Excellent   10b-Good   10c-Fair     10d-Deteriorated
   11a-Original Site  11b-Moved   If so, when?  
11c-Alterations:  Barn doors replace with personnel doors and interior remodeled for church hall use in about 1960. Building raised and basement constructed as part of conservation project in 2003-2004.  
Photo & Map
12-Photo Photos and images
View Larger Map
  14a-None Known:    14b-Zoning   14c-Roads
  14d-Developers :   14e-Deterioration
Related Outbuildings
and Property

  15a-Barn   15b-Carriage House  15c-Garage
  15d-Privy   15e-Shed   15f-Greenhouse
  15g-Shop   15h-Gardens   15i-Landscape Features
15i-Landscape Features:   
15j-Other:  Building originally a part of the Post estate, now at its original location, but on the grounds of Old South Haven Church.  
Surroundings of the Building
  16a-Open Land   16b-Woodland   16c-Scattered Bldgs.
  16d-Densely Built-up   16e-Commercial  16f-Industrial
  16g-Residential 16h-Other:   
Interrelationship of Building and Surroundings
17-Interrelationships:   Used by the Old South Haven Church as a church hall.  
Other Notable Features of Building and Site
18-Notable Features: Construction is typical of barn-like structures of the late 19th - early 20th centuries.      
19-Initial Const Date:   Reported to be about 1900
Historic and Architectural Importance
20-Importance:   The carriage house was originally a part of the James Post estate (Br09B). It became the property of the Old South Haven Church (originally the Brookhaven-Southaven Parish) in 1959 when the congregation purchased the property from Elizabeth Post Morrow. In 1961, the church building in South Haven (Br09A) was moved to the site.   
21-Sources:      Paqtchogue Advance, 25 Jun 1959 and 3 Sep 1959. Old South Haven Church Records.  
Prepared By:
  John Deitz
Supplemental Material: