Maps.. map images of many of which are of historical interest
Home Search Print Add Bookmark
Matches 1 to 12 of 12 » Thumbnails Only
|1||1664 Old Purchase at South & 1668 Yaphank Neck|
A modern map indicating the extent of the first land purchases which later became the Hamlets of Brookhaven and South Haven - the "Old Purchase at South" in 1664 and "Yamphank Neck" in 1688.
|2||1678 Dayton & Tar Men's Necks|
This map indicates the approximate boundaries of Dayton's Neck and Tar Men's Neck,* Hamlet of Brookhaven, Brookhaven Town, Suffolk County, NY. It is overlaid on a modern map of the area.
In 1678, Samuel Dayton received a grant of forty acres from the Town of Brookhaven on what was to become known as Dayton's Neck. He also received a portion of the small neck known as Tar Men's Neck.
Dayton's Neck is located between Mott's Creek, the eastern boundary of the Village of Bellport, and a small marshy hollow known as Clam Hollow.
He moved his family from his home lot in the founding community of Setauket, on the north shore, to his new homestead on the south shore. While the exact location of this homestead is not known, some suggest that it was near the site of the George Washington Lodge on South Country Road. He and his family are generally considered to have been the first permanent European settlers in the Bellport/Brookhaven area.
At the same time, the Town also granted Samuel Dayton an allotment of land near the apparently by then abandoned Tar Men's house on Tar Men's Neck—the small neck to the east of Dayton's Neck, between Dayton's Neck and Fire Place Neck. This house was apparently a temporary dwelling used by workers who harvested pitch pine sap used in the production of turpentine and lubricants.
Tar Men's Neck is located between Clam Hollow on the west and Beaver Dam Creek on the east.
* Broadly speaking, a neck of land is a narrow piece of land that comes out of a wider part, usually synonymous with an isthmus. On Long Island, especially along the south shore, land parcels were frequently defined as being "necks," their east-west boundaries being small bays, streams or swamps flowing into the larger southern bay.
|3||1797 Map Section of the Town of Brookhaven showing South Haven, Fire Place, Mastic and Environs|
This is segment of a tracing of a map of the Town of Brookhaven originally prepared in 1797 by Isaac Hulse. The full tracing is in the South Country Library, Bellport, NY. Copies of the map may also be viewed at the Town of Brookhaven's Historian's office. This segment shows Fire Place, South Haven, and vicinity. The Carman's Mills at South Haven are at the center.
|4||1815 William Damerum|
This is a cropped section of a large wall map published in 1815 which shows South Haven (labeled Carmans) at the center.
It's interesting to note the confluence of roads on little South Haven, and the absence of many prominent community names such as Bellport, Patchogue, and Yaphank.
South Haven not only was the site for the important Carman's Mills, a commercial center, and the South Haven Presbyterian Parish, but it was also the only "goin' over" of the Carman's River on the south shore.
|5||1839 South Country road (now Montauk Highway)|
.. on this modern map is overlaid a portion of an 1839 Town of Brookhaven survey which shows a portion of South Country road in Brookhaven Hamlet. This survey was recorded in the Records of the Town of Brookhaven. It apparently was authorized by the Town to clarify the lots of the Great and Little Division made in 1733 at "South." The portion of the full survey shown here shows South Country road from the "Yaphank Line" westward to Ellison's Swamp. Ellison's Swamp contains the headwaters of Beaver Dam creek. "Ellison" was likely Robert Ellison.
The Yaphank Line is a survey line that runs north from the headwaters of Yaphank creek to where it intersects the Carman's River near the hamlet of Yaphank. This line crosses the South Country road (Montauk highway) at the western intersection with Old South Country road. This line was the eastern edge of the Great Division, and defined in part the western boundary of the original Manor of St. George.
Of particular note here is that this survey mentions and more or less defines the location of Rev. Nathaniel Hawkins homestead situated on the south side South Country road. This residence is no longer extent, although evidence of Hawkins family cemetery remains.
Also of note is that the survey defines the original intersection of the Old Town road with the South Country road to travel east. Old Town road, as it was originally laid out by the Town, stretched from Setauket at the north southward to the Great South Bay at Brookhaven hamlet (Fire Place). At Brookhaven it intersected with an east-west road (South Country road); this intersection (to travel east) was in the northern portion of the Brookhaven hamlet. The intersection to travel west was further south (at the "36" route marker, bottom of this map).
|6||1845 Minature Map of Long Island|
In this 1845 map of Long Island, the approximate area of Brookhaven Hamlet is shaded green. At the time, the area would have been known as Fire Place. Note that the convergence of roads at the northeast corner of the shaded area was called "Carmans." This locale is now known as South Haven, and it was the location of Sam Carman's mills, the South Haven Parish Church, a post office, small hotel, a store, and several residences. Shallow drafted coastal vessels where able to navigate up the Carman's River nearly to this point
|7||Hulse Family Properties Mid-19th Century |
This diagram is based on an undatedAbstract of Title for David Harmon Hulse's property. David Overton Hulse, who died in 1849, apparently subdivided and transferred to his sons the parcel he owned at the intersection of Beaver Dam and Fireplace Neck roads, Brookhaven (then Fire Place), NY. This parcel had been transferred to David O. Hulse by his father, Nehemiah Hulse, on 1 March 1807, shortly before Nehemiah's death
The abstract indicates that David Harmon's property had a 95-foot frontage on Beaver Dam road and was 75 feet wide at the back. It is probably the parcel labeled "1" on the diagram
If this is correct, then parcel 2 would have been that of his brother, Charles Hallock Hulse; parcel 3 that of Andrew Jackson Hulse, and parcel 4 that of William Warren Hulse.
The youngest brother, Van Buren Hulse, is not mentioned in the abstract; he may have been granted another parcel not touching David Harmon Hulses parcel.Since this diagram associates a mid-19th century description with modern property lines, it may not accurately reflect the property lines at the time of the abstract.
|8||1858 Chace Map of Fire Pace (Brookhaven) and South Haven Hamlets|
.. the map shown here as a section of a large wall map that may be found at the Suffolk County Historic Society, Riverhead, NY. It identifies individual residencies.
|9||1873 F. W. Beers Map of Brookhaven Hamlet|
..On this map, South Country Rd. is called Main St., the east end of Beaverdam Rd. is called South St.; the west end of Beaverdam Rd. (which is a dead end) is called Ruland Ave.; Fire Place Rd. is called Beaver St.; and Bay Ave. is called Atlantic St
|10||1873 Beers Map of the Southern Portion of the Town of Brookhaven|
.. This is an 1873 map of southern Town of Brookhaven. The solid curving line running west-east at the bottom of the map is the proposed path of the South Side Railroad extension from Patchogue to Eastport, later to become the Long Island Rail Road. The actual tracks were not laid along this path when constructed in 1879-1881, but in a slightly more northerly, nearly straight-line path without the curve south into the center of Bellport Village. Montauk Hwy. was then built adjacent to the railroad, bypassing the Village.
|11||Map of Barteau Homestead & Cemetery at time of sale in 1886 by Stephen C. and Ida M. (Rose) Barteau to Silas Tuttle of Southampton.|
This map is of the original homestead and farm of Francis Barteau (iii) as it existed at the time of its sale by Stephen Curtis and Ida Rose Barteau to Silas Tuttle in 1886. Francis (iii) removed from Huntington, NY to Fire Place (now Brookhaven and South Haven hamlets) in 1741. Francis was Stephen's third great grandfather. It was drawn by Richard A. Thomas overlaid on a modern Google map, and based on the description of the property in the 1886 deed (Suffolk County Deeds Libor 299, page 427). Richard discusses the difficulties in transcribing the site description from the 1886 deed to a modern map, including ambiguities in the deed in two emails: March 08, 2014 & November 3, 2015.
|12||Brookhaven Hamlet Zoning Map|
.. this is a zoning map probably extracted from a 2009 study (I’m not 100% sure of this source).
The Hamlet People Database is maintained by
John Deitz. Copyright © 2011.