What's New | Photos | Histories | Sources | Reports | Cemeteries | Headstones | Statistics | Surnames
                    Brookhaven - South Haven BLOG
Note: Living people and people who may still be living have been "privatized." Only their name appears here.


 Photos


HomeHome    SearchSearch    PrintPrint    Add BookmarkAdd Bookmark

Matches 51 to 100 of 635     » Thumbnails Only

    «Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 13» Next»

   Thumb   Description   Linked to 
51
Ben Savage
Ben Savage
.. about 1980 
 
52
Ben Savage Artwork
Ben Savage Artwork
 
 
53
Ben Savage Artwork
Ben Savage Artwork
 
 
54
Ben Savage Artwork
Ben Savage Artwork
 
 
55
Ben Savage Artwork
Ben Savage Artwork
 
 
56
Ben Savage Artwork
Ben Savage Artwork
 
 
57
Ben Savage Illustration
Ben Savage Illustration
.. originally created as a children's book illustration. Book appears never to have been published 
 
58
Ben Savage in his studio
Ben Savage in his studio
 
 
59
Ben Savage with his B29 WWII bomber
Ben Savage with his B29 WWII bomber
.. Ben is on the right 
 
60
Ben Savage, WWII bomber pilot
Ben Savage, WWII bomber pilot
.. Ben is on far left 
 
61
Ben Wiswall
Ben Wiswall
 
 
62
Benjamin Huntting Howell
Benjamin Huntting Howell
 
 
63
Benn Stuart Schulberg
Benn Stuart Schulberg
 
 
64
Bennet, Duryea, Brown, Walton family
Bennet, Duryea, Brown, Walton family
Standing: William Walton, Leonore Victors Duryea, Helen Victors Bennet, Edna Wilson Bennet, Elmer Sidney Duryea; seated: Gloria Duryea Brown, Robert Millard Brown, Anna Bennet Walton. Photo probably taken by Richard W. Bennet at Bennet home on Old Stump road in the 1950s. 
 
65
Bessie Bonehill
Bessie Bonehill
.. in a professional theatrical picture. She frequently played the role of a male impersonator. 
 
66
Better 'Ole Restaurant
Better 'Ole Restaurant

.. Br04A.1-S. First know as the Better 'Ole Tea Room. Founded by vaudeville actor William Seeley and his wife shortly after World War II, it has had several proprietors and names, most recently as "Painter's."

 
 
67
Betty Puleston
Betty Puleston
 
 
68
Betty Taylor Budny
Betty Taylor Budny
.. cropped from a picture taken while she was examining the Woodruff Family Cemetery, Bellport, NY  
 
69
Big Tom Ellison's chair
Big Tom Ellison's chair
 
 
70
Bob & Gloria Brown mural
Bob & Gloria Brown mural

Marty Van Lith writes (2008): "I went over to personally thank Bob (former BNL meteorologist) and Gloria Brown, 8 Chapel Ave, for their $300 donation to the cemetery fund. The mural is on their kitchen wall, painted by Ralph Taylor's grandson circa 1980. He took a picture from the roof and worked from that." Chapel avenue is to the right. Shown are top right, Brook House (site ID Br06); top left, intersection of South Country road and Fire Place Neck road with Memorial Triangle (Br06A.1-S) and Brook Store (Br07); right, Chapel House (Br05C); left, Ketcham-Nelson house (Br06A).

 
 
71
Bob and Helen Starke, 1996
Bob and Helen Starke, 1996
 
 
72
Br01.1-S:  The McKeown Sisters at Beaver Dam Creek
Br01.1-S: The McKeown Sisters at Beaver Dam Creek
.. this was taken at the South Country "goin' over." It is said to be a photograph of Elsie, Anna and Bertha McKeown, all of whom grew up on Bay Avenue in Brookhaven. Bertha, the youngest, is in the foreground. Their parents were William and Anna Knies McKeown. It is said that it appeared in Harpers Magazine early in the 20th century. 
 
73
Br05B.  Richard Corwin - Carl Olson house ['Willow Tree Cottage']
Br05B. Richard Corwin - Carl Olson house ["Willow Tree Cottage"]
.. Richard Corwin House is a half-cape built in the late-18th or early-19th century and is located at 408 South Country Rd. The highway is to the left, making the house appear to be 90 to the road. This home has Site ID Br05B
 
74
Br09F. Mills Clark House
Br09F. Mills Clark House

Built first half of 19th century, this was the basic shape of all early built houses in Fire Place (Brookhaven). Like many homes of the era, it was erected close to the highway. This home has Historic Site ID Br09F.

 
 
75
Br17.1.1-S.  The Black House.
Br17.1.1-S. The Black House.
.. originally built by N. Blair and Joan Munhofen mid-1950s. Sold by them after his retirement and move to the Carolinas. After a couple of ownership flips, the new owners painted it black in November, 2015. 
 
76
Br23.051a:  Brookhaven Chalet
Br23.051a: Brookhaven Chalet

.. Hidden away in Brookhaven Hamlet is this interesting house. It is situated at the south end of Hawkins Lane down near the marshes of the Great South Bay shoreline. Hawkins Lane is a discontinuous street, the southern end is reached from Bond lane.

Real estate listing by Douglas Elliman, 2015, stated: ".. Completely Remodeled Castle Like Colonial On 9.75 Acres, Redone Inside And Out. Nestled On Private Road. This 11 Room, 5 Bdrm, 2.5 Bth Luxurious Colonial Boasts European Living Fit For A King. Dual Staircase In Eh, Marble Flrs, Marble Bths, Ss Appiances, French Drs, Wood Flrs And Much More. A True Turn Key." Listing price: $949,000.

The history of this house has been lost to the mists of time. Many local residents believe it is proof-positive of 16th century French colonization of Long Island as the French extended their exploration south along the east coast from Quebec. Inexplicably it is not mentioned in any of the early Town of Brookhaven records or histories of Long Island. Perhaps the English, who were at war with the French at the time, did not want to provide any evidence of a French claim to Long Island. The stone is said to be from the famous Fire Place stone quarry, remnants of which can be seen at the Beaver Dam Road kettle hole near the intersection with Mott Lane (see Site ID Br24B.1-S).

 
 
77
Br23.051b:  Brookhaven Castle
Br23.051b: Brookhaven Castle
 
 
78
Br23.051c:  Brookhaven Castle
Br23.051c: Brookhaven Castle
 
 
79
Br29B.  Rose House
Br29B. Rose House
..this house was built by John Rose in the early years of the 19th century. It continued to be occupied by members of the Rose family into the 20th century.

More Information see document ID Br29B.

Sketch is by Ann Wiswall

 
 
80
Br29B.  Rose House.
Br29B. Rose House.
..This house was built before 1818 for "Senator" John Rose, son of Revolutionary War hero Lt. Thomas Rose. John Rose married Elizabeth Rose, daughter of Priest David Rose, Pastor of the Old South Haven Church during the Revolutionary War. The Rose's were among the earliest residents of the Hamlet. The house looks much as it did at least from the late 19th century. The Rose family occupied the house until at least the early 20th century. The smaller wing on the right is said to have been once used as a small store. The modern address for the house is 228 Beaver Dam Rd. This home has Historic Site ID Br29B
 
81
Br30C.  Nathaniel Miller House
Br30C. Nathaniel Miller House

.. This house was built in about 1815 for Dr. Nathaniel Miller, a physician and farmer. It is located at 9 Fire Place Neck Rd. The wing on the right was the original house, the front facing south, 90 to the road. The Miller's had extensive land holdings in the Hamlet, and maintained the farm for three generations. This home has Historic Site ID Br30C

 
82
Br32A.  Swezey-DeHond House
Br32A. Swezey-DeHond House
.. Perhaps the oldest house still standing in the Hamlet (c. 1738-40), this half-cape with addition (to left) originally stood on Beaver Dam Rd. at what later became the intersection of Locust Rd. It is known to have been occupied by William Egbert Swezey in the mid-19th century. It was moved about 1927 to the next lot up Locust Rd. when Everett Swezey built a new house on the corner lot. This home has Site ID Br32A
 
83
Br35.1-S.  Beaver Dam Creek 'Lighthouse'
Br35.1-S. Beaver Dam Creek "Lighthouse"
This private residence, on Lindner Court, Brookhaven, is at the mouth of Beaver Dam Creek as it enters the Great South Bay, and the man-made canals located there. It is distinguished by the "Lighthouse" tower, a landmark that can be seen far out into the bay. 
 
84
Brook House
Brook House
Br06. This restaurant was built by C. Oliver Wellington, as an outlet for the produce of his dairy farm. It is sited at the location of the old "Brook Store" prior to its relocation to its present location further west on South Country road. 
 
85
Brook House
Brook House
.. Br06. Another post card of the Brook House. 
 
86
Brook Store
Brook Store

.. Br07: Village store and Post Office after it was moved to present location.

 
 
87
Brook Store
Brook Store

.. Br07. Brook Store and Post Office at original location. The Post Office was the 1-story addition to the right.

 
 
88
Brook Store & Post Office
Brook Store & Post Office

.. Br07.  Post card is postmarked 1915, shortly before the structure was moved further west along South Country road.

 
 
89
Brook Store and Post Office.
Brook Store and Post Office.

.. Br07. Pictured is the Brook Store and Post before it was relocated a short distance further west along South Country Road. The Post Office was the small 1-story addition to the right. To the left was a dwelling house which is said to have been relocated at the same time as the store and became the core of the home known as the Valentine house (Br30B)

 
 
90
Brookhaven Ambulance Company
Brookhaven Ambulance Company
.. the Brookhaven Ambulance Company was founded in 1940. It was separately incorporated from the Brookhaven Fire Department, but had a close association with it, sharing the Brookhaven Fire House with the fire department until 1970 when it moved into its own station. The Brookhaven Ambulance Company has now merged with the Bellport and Hagerman Ambulance Companies as the South Country Ambulance Company, and services most of the region between Patchogue and Shirley, NY.

The ambulance pictured is a 1927 Kissell ambulance purchased from the Patchogue Ambulance Company in 1940. This venerable vehicle served the community until 1948.

 
 
91
Brookhaven Boys
Brookhaven Boys
.. at the Brook Store, Brookhaven, NY, 1898. From left, Forrest P. Reeve (store partner with Jake Valentine), William Nesbitt, Edward Ketcham, William Sweezey, Jake L. Valentine (store partner), Nathaniel Clinton Miller, Sidney Hawkins, and George Miller. 
 
92
Brookhaven Dock on Carmen River. L.I. (Squassux Landing)
Brookhaven Dock on Carmen River. L.I. (Squassux Landing)

.. Br16.    (Published by L.G. Wallace, Brookhaven General Store.)

 
 
93
Brookhaven Elementary School About 1921
Brookhaven Elementary School About 1921
.. Ron Kinsella has assisted in identifying individuals. Please feel free to communicate identity of others. 
 
94
Brookhaven Elementary School about 1928-1930
Brookhaven Elementary School about 1928-1930
 
 
95
Brookhaven Fire Commissioners (Brookhaven, NY, Fire District), about 1947
Brookhaven Fire Commissioners (Brookhaven, NY, Fire District), about 1947
.. in front of the new fire station of the Brookhaven Fire Department dedicated August 1947.

In 1947, the fire district had just one fire station. There is now a second station at the eastern end of the district, in Shirley, NY. An addition has also been added to this building to the left. Also, a detached service building has been constructed further to the left (east). A private dwelling behind this site has been converted to fire district offices.

The actual date of the picture is uncertain. A history of the South Country Ambulance Company (successor to the Brookhaven Ambulance Company) indicated that their purchase of a 1938 LaSalle ambulance from the Patchogue ambulance company did not occur until February 1948. The vehicle immediately to the right of the fire commissioners is almost certainly the 1938 ambulance. The vehicle to the extreme right is the 1926 Kissell ambulance also purchased from the Patchogue ambulance company in 1940 at the founding of the Brookhaven Ambulance Company.

For enlarged image click here.

 
 
96
Brookhaven Fire Department Baseball Team circa 1936.
Brookhaven Fire Department Baseball Team circa 1936.

.. according to newspaper accounts of the era, they were known as the "Quacks." The Brookhaven playing field was located behind the Robert Lyons home off Cemetery Rd.

Patchogue Advance, 10 May, 1935, p. 4: "The Center Moriches Bears and the Brookhaven Fire Department Quacks will play Sunday afternoon at 3 o'clock at Lyon's field in Brookhaven. It is the first meeting of the season between these two popular nines and neither of them have been defeated this season."

We would appreciate further identifications of the men in the picture.

 
 
97
Brookhaven Free Library, 1941.
Brookhaven Free Library, 1941.
.. Raymond Perry painting of the Brookhaven Free Library (see site ID Br27), showing the library 1n 1941. The Brookhaven Free Library celebrated its 100th anniversary in 2012. 
 
98
Brookhaven Hamlet World War I Memorial Tablet
Brookhaven Hamlet World War I Memorial Tablet
.. erected at the memorial cannon in the Hamlet's memorial triangle. 
 
99
Brookhaven Park
Brookhaven Park
.. also know as Fire Place park, this small park is at the intersection of South Country and Fire Place Neck roads, adjacent the the Memorial Triangle site. It was originally the site of a small trout pond on the Miller farm.

More Information about the Memorial Triangle and Fire Place park

 
 
100
Brookhaven Presbyterian Church
Brookhaven Presbyterian Church

.. Br29C. Before the Fall of 1945, it was a Methodist Church. It is now a private residence.

 
 

    «Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 13» Next»

The Hamlet People Database is maintained by John Deitz. Copyright 2011.
This site powered by The Next Generation of Genealogy Sitebuilding, Copyright © 2001-2011, created by Darrin Lythgoe, Sandy, Utah. All rights reserved.