August Hawkins and his sister Prudence around 1900

Menu


Brookhaven-South Haven BLOG:  news, events, and commentary

 

 

 

 

 

South Shore Estuary Survey Form

Table of ContentsReturn to Sites Table of Contents

The information in this form is based on information in the original South Shore Estuary Survey.  Corrections to obvious typographical and spelling errors have been made.  Corrections to factual errors, updates or comments on the information are enclosed either in [square brackets] or are clearly indicated as updates in the text..  Since the surveys were conducted in the Summer of 2004, the information reflects that time period unless otherwise noted.  Because the South Shore Estuary Survey report format is not entirely consistent with the original Society for the Preservation of Long Island Antiquities/Town of Brookhaven survey formats, there are a few additional fields on this page not found on the original forms.  The original South Shore Estuary Survey Report is available as a PDF document by clicking on the below.


South Shore Estuary Survey Form  

178 Old Stump Rd. - Kresse House

 If checked, this is a Supplemental Form, not included in the original surveys.

Click for
Photos and images   No Link Available   Related Sites   Printer Friendly
Photo People Other Documents Printer Friendly
Inventory Code: Br36.178-S  
Prepared Date: 2/2/2010  
Revised Date: 3/2/2010  
Submitter
Submitter Name: John Deitz  
Submitter Address: 7 Locust Rd.

Brookhaven, NY 11719
631-286-3178
Organization:  
Identification
1-Building/Site Name: 178 Old Stump Rd. - Kresse House  
2a-County: Suffolk   2b-Town: Brookhaven 2c-Village: Hamlet of Brookhaven
3-Street Location:  
Ownership
 4a-Public    4b-Private
5a-Present Owner:   Kresse 5b-Address:   178 Old Stump Rd.
Use

6a-Original:   Residence

6b-Present:   Residence

Accessibility
 7a-Visible From Road

 7b-Interior Accessible
7b-Interior Comment:   
Architectural Style:   
   
Description: 
   
Decorative Features: 
   
Building Materials 
 8a-Clapboard

 8b-Stone

 8c-Brick

 8d-Board & Batten

 8e-Cobblestone

 8f-Shingles

 8g-Stucco
8-Other:   
Structural System
 9a-Wood Frame Interlocking Joints    9b-Wood Frame Light Members:   9c-Masonry:
 9d-Metal
9d-Metal Comment:   
 9e-Other
 9e-Other Comment:   
Roof Style: 
   
Roofing Materials: 
   
Foundation: 
   
Windows: 
   
Entrances: 
   
Chimneys: 
   
Condition
   10a-Excellent   10b-Good   10c-Fair    10d-Deteriorated
Integrity
  11a-Original Site  11b-Moved If so, when?
11c-Alterations:   Original WWI Army structure altered to a residence about 1921.  «»
Photo & Map
12-Photo Photos and images
13-Map
Threats
[Threats were not evaluated in the original South Shore Estuary Survey.  They are an evaluation by J. Deitz]
  14a-None Known:   14b-Zoning   14c-Roads
  14d-Developers   14e-Deterioration
14f-Other:   
14-Comment:   
Related Outbuildings and Property
 15a-Barn  15b-Carriage House  15c-Garage
 15d-Privy  15e-Shed   15f-Greenhouse
 15g-Shop  15h-Gardens   15i-Landscape Features
15i-Landscape Features:   
15j-Other:   
15-Comment:   
Surroundings of the Building
 16a-Open Land  16b-Woodland  16c-Scattered Bldgs.
 16d-Densely Built-up  16e-Commercial  16f-Industrial
 16g-Residential 16h-Other:   
Interrelationship of Building and Surroundings
17-Interrelationships:    
Other Notable Features of Building and Site
18-Notable Features:      «»
Significance
19-Initial Const Date:   Abt 1919  
19-Architect: Department of the Army, USA  
19-Builder:  
Historic and Architectural Importance
20-Importance:   According to current homeowner, Barbara Anne Kresse, the building at 178 Old Stump Road was one of many temporary buildings from the U.S. Army’s Camp Upton, presently the site of Brookhaven National Laboratory, which was converted into a residence. Camp Upton was one of sixteen cantonments erected across the country to train the New York area inductees when the United States entered the First World War in 1917. With the war’s end in November of 1918, the Army decided that Camp Upton was of no further use and deactivated the camp. In August of 1921, a public auction emptied the Yaphank base of all its contents including household wares and appliances to complete structures.

Original owners Carrie and George Nesbitt, then Michael and Mary Grodeski Embro. Since 1971, Barbara Anne Kresse.  «»

Sources
21-Sources:   Barbara Anne Kresse «»
Theme
22-Theme:   Residence  
Prepared By: 
  John Deitz  
Supplemental Material: