|Communities Long Gone … Old Inlet||Br01.6-S||Fire Place & Old Inlet Beach Clubs||Old Inlet was just that! According to old maps at the Maritime Museum in West Sayville, between 1763-1827, this area had an wide inlet from the bay to the ocean. It is now long since closed up, but during the worst storms, minor ocean wash-over can be seen running to the bay. It has opened as a very minor inlet, in the last 30 years, but mother nature quickly closed it up. This 2 mile stretch of Fire Island is one of the flattest areas of the island.
While Old Inlet was never a community, it was once a private bathing beach called The Old Inlet Club, which members used for ocean swimming and occasional picnics. It had a dock and a picnic shelter similar to the one at Bellport Beach. There was a dock on the bay and a winding boardwalk to the Ocean. Along the way were a small set of bath houses where beach goers could change their clothing and shower with cold, fresh water.
|History of the Fire Place and Old Inlet Beach Clubs by Robert Stark||Br01.6-S||Fire Place & Old Inlet Beach Clubs||Recorded Jan 23, 2003. Revision 1, by Bob Starke, January 28, 2003. Revision 2, by Bob and Helen Starke, February 5, 2003. Bob Starke is now deceased.