August Hawkins and his sister Prudence around 1900

Menu


Brookhaven-South Haven BLOG:  news, events, and commentary

 

 

 

 

 

Site Images

Click on image for enlarged view.

Photo ID: 637
Name: Kresse House
Type: Historic
Date: Uncertain. Perhaps 1940s
Site Data Sheet Link Code: Br36.178-S
Inventory Name: 178 Old Stump Rd. - Kresse House
Address: 178 Old Stump Rd.
Source: Post-Morrow Foundation - Barbara Kresse
Source Call Number: kresse/178oldstumprd0001

Comment: .. Original photo undated. Note small tree in front yard has grown to a large tree.

Date Entry Modified: 9/3/2011 12:00:00 AM
Photo ID: 323
Name: Northeast Elevation
Type: Modern
Date: 11 Jun 2004
Site Data Sheet Link Code: Br36.178-S
Inventory Name: 178 Old Stump Rd. - Kresse House
Address: 178 Old Stump Rd.
Source: Jayme Breschard
Source Call Number: 040611/Old Stump Road 178

Comment: According to current homeowner, Barbara Anne Kresse, the building at 178 Old Stump Road was one of many temporary buildings from the U.S. Army’s Camp Upton, presently the site of Brookhaven National Laboratory, which was converted into a residence. Camp Upton was one of sixteen cantonments erected across the country to train the New York area inductees when the United States entered the First World War in 1917. With the war’s end in November of 1918, the Army decided that Camp Upton was of no further use and deactivated the camp. In August of 1921, a public auction emptied the Yaphank base of all its contents including household wares and appliances to complete structures. During World War II, the camp was rebuilt primarily as an induction center for draftees and as a rehabilitation hospital for the returning wounded.

From: Jayme Breschard, 'South Shore Estuary Survey,' conducted Summer 2004.

Date Entry Modified:
Photo ID: 539
Name: Kresse House
Type: Modern
Date: after 1971
Site Data Sheet Link Code: Br36.178-S
Inventory Name: 178 Old Stump Rd. - Kresse House
Address: 178 Old Stump Rd.
Source: Post Morrow Foundation Barbara Kresse Collection
Source Call Number: kresse/kressehouse after1971

Comment: This photograph is marked with a brief history: "Built 1919; Carrie & George Nesbitt; Michael & Mary (Grodeski) Embro; Kresse 1971-Present

Date Entry Modified: 3/2/2010 12:00:00 AM