August Hawkins and his sister Prudence around 1900

Menu


Brookhaven-South Haven BLOG:  news, events, and commentary

 

 

 

 

 

Site Images

Click on image for enlarged view.

Photo ID: 587
Name: Old Stump Road Duck Farms & Little Neck
Type: Historic
Date: Abt 1930
Site Data Sheet Link Code: Br36.105-S
Inventory Name: Leszkowicz Duck Farm
Address: About 105 Old Stump Road
Source: Van Lith
Source Call Number: maps/images/1930littleneckaerial

Comment: .. The duck farms along Old Stump road and Little Neck run are shown as they existed about 1930.

Date Entry Modified: 5/22/2011 12:00:00 AM
Photo ID: 585
Name: Aerial Leszkowicz Duck Farm
Type: Historic
Date: 1947
Site Data Sheet Link Code: Br36.105-S
Inventory Name: Leszkowicz Duck Farm
Address: About 105 Old Stump Road
Source: Suffolk Co., NY
Source Call Number: http://gis.co.suffolk.ny.us/LandViewer/index.html

Comment: .. by 1947, three separate farms along Little Neck run—Savage, Kuzmech, Leszkowicz—had been consolidated into one duck ranch. The Advance (5 Dec 1946) reported that it was the third largest duck farm in Suffolk County, NY. In this aerial view, only the main body of the farm south of the Long Island Rail Road is shown.

Date Entry Modified: 5/21/2011 12:00:00 AM
Photo ID: 586
Name: Aerial of Original Leszkowicz Duck Farm
Type: Modern
Date: 2006
Site Data Sheet Link Code: Br36.105-S
Inventory Name: Leszkowicz Duck Farm
Address: About 105 Old Stump Road
Source: Suffolk County, NY
Source Call Number: http://gis.co.suffolk.ny.us/LandViewer/index.html

Comment: .. while there had been concerns about the polluting influence of Suffolk County duck ranches on the Island's water resources in the early 20th century, following World War II these concerns intensified. Changing population demographics, intensified environmental concerns, and the costs of pollution controls and other health regulations were factors in the gradual demise of the duck farms. The Leszkowicz farmland was eventually purchased by the Federal government and incorporated into the Wertheim National Wildlife Refuge. As can be seen in this image, nearly all the farm sheds and barns have been torn down, and the land and creek are gradually returning to their more natural state.

As in the previous image, this aerial is only of the southern portion of the farm; the portion north of the Long Island Rail Road is not shown.

It is also interesting to note the extensive residential development on the east side of the Old Stump road.

Date Entry Modified: 5/21/2011 12:00:00 AM
Photo ID: 581
Name: Leszkowicz Farm House
Type: Modern
Date: o6 Oct 2008
Site Data Sheet Link Code: Br36.105-S
Inventory Name: Leszkowicz Duck Farm
Address: About 105 Old Stump Road
Source: Deitz
Source Call Number: 081006/081006 017

Comment:

Date Entry Modified: 5/18/2011 12:00:00 AM
Photo ID: 582
Name: Leszkowicz Farm barn
Type: Modern
Date: 6 Oct 2008
Site Data Sheet Link Code: Br36.105-S
Inventory Name: Leszkowicz Duck Farm
Address: About 105 Old Stump Road
Source: Deitz
Source Call Number: 081006/081006 018

Comment: .. This is the only barn structure that remains of the many such structures on the Leszkowicz duck farm.

Date Entry Modified: 5/18/2011 12:00:00 AM
Photo ID: 583
Name: Leszkowicz Farm House
Type: Modern
Date: 18 May 2011
Site Data Sheet Link Code: Br36.105-S
Inventory Name: Leszkowicz Duck Farm
Address: About 105 Old Stump Road
Source: Deitz
Source Call Number: 110518/LeszkowicsFarmHouse01

Comment: .. This house is adjacent to the north of the main Leszkowicz farm house. It has a street address of about 103 Old Stump road. Public records suggest that It may have been the residence of the Adam Leszkowicz family (Leszkowicz patriarch Joseph's eldest son) from about 1935 until perhaps 1993.

Date Entry Modified: 5/18/2011 12:00:00 AM
Photo ID: 584
Name: Leszkowicz Farm House
Type: Modern
Date: 18 May 2011
Site Data Sheet Link Code: Br36.105-S
Inventory Name: Leszkowicz Duck Farm
Address: About 105 Old Stump Road
Source: Deitz
Source Call Number: 110518/072oldstumprd02

Comment: .. This house, at 72 Old Stump road, is said to have been another residence associated with the Leszkowicz duck farm properties. U. S. Public records suggest that it was the home of Joseph (Joe) Leszkowicz family (patriarch Joseph's second son) from about 1935 until perhaps 1993.

Date Entry Modified: 5/18/2011 12:00:00 AM
Photo ID: 588
Name: Savage Duck Farm
Type: Historic
Date: 1920s
Site Data Sheet Link Code: Br36.105-S
Inventory Name: Leszkowicz Duck Farm
Address: About 105 Old Stump Road
Source: Probably Ben Savage via Marty Van Lith
Source Call Number: savage/savageduckfarmbw

Comment: .. the Antonio (Tony) Savage family farm was the southernmost of the three duck farms established in the early twenth century along Little Neck Run and Old Stump road (then known as Railroad Avenue). Sometime after 1930, the Leszkowicz brothers, Joseph and Ignatz, purchased the Kuzmeck (most northern) and Savage farms, as well as all the land north of Kuzmeck and the Long Island Rail Road right-of-way to the Montauk Highway between Old Stump road and Little Neck run. The Savage farm was purchased in 1934 following the death of Antonio.

At the top center, the Savage homestead can barely be seen. It is no longer extant.

Date Entry Modified: 5/22/2011 12:00:00 AM