August Hawkins and his sister Prudence around 1900

Menu


Brookhaven-South Haven BLOG:  news, events, and commentary

 

 

 

 

 

Site Images

Click on image for enlarged view.

Photo ID: 241
Name: Carol Robinson Cottage
Type: Historic
Date: Uncertain
Site Data Sheet Link Code: Br09E
Inventory Name: Carol Robinson cottage
Address: South Country Road
Source: Post-Morrow
Source Call Number: RG1 Series 10

Comment: From: "Early Photographs of the Hamlet of Brookhaven collected by George Perley Morse 1945-1959."

Carol Robinson (1889-1979) was a pianist and composer of some note. For a time, the cottage was the home of Margaret Anderson and jama heap, who founded, published and edited the literary magazine "The Little Review" which published avant-garde writers, 1914-29.

The house is on the west bank of Beaver Dam Creek..

Date Entry Modified:
Photo ID: 477
Name: Cottage as seen from across Beaver Dam Creek
Type: Historic
Date: Abt 1930
Site Data Sheet Link Code: Br09E
Inventory Name: Carol Robinson cottage
Address: South Country Road
Source:
Source Call Number: MorrowBoatSlipRobinsonHouse1930(2)

Comment: Beaver Dam Creek was dredged for the first time in 1930. Thomas and Elizabeth Post Morrow dredged a boat slip at about the same time. The picture is looking west across the creek, and the house seen is what has become known as the Carol Robinson Cottage. What is seen is therefore the east face, opposite to the picture above.

Date Entry Modified: 2/5/2009 12:00:00 AM
Photo ID: 661
Name: Location of Carol Robinson Cottage
Type: Modern
Date: Abt 2012
Site Data Sheet Link Code: Br09E
Inventory Name: Carol Robinson cottage
Address: South Country Road
Source: Deitz
Source Call Number: robinsoncarol/CarolRobinsonCottage(Br09E)A

Comment: Aerial photograph showing location of the "Carol Robinson" cottage on the west bank of Beaver Dam creek.

Date Entry Modified: 5/7/2014 12:00:00 AM