August Hawkins and his sister Prudence around 1900

Menu


Brookhaven-South Haven BLOG:  news, events, and commentary

 

 

 

 

 

Site Images

Click on image for enlarged view.

Photo ID: 239
Name: Seaman House
Type: Historic
Date: Uncertain
Site Data Sheet Link Code: Br09D
Inventory Name: Seaman-Ljungvist house
Address: South Country Road
Source: Post-Morrow
Source Call Number: RG1 Series 10

Comment: From: "Early Photographs of the Hamlet of Brookhaven collected by George Perley Morse 1945-1959."

Morse comments: "Seaman house as it originally looked before dormer windows were added. Dormers were added when house became over-night stage stop half-way between New York and Montauk.

[Morse's comments raise questions. If he was correct, that the dormers were added when the building became an overnigt stage stop, then the picture would likely predate the extension of the South Side rail road from Patchogue eastward in 1881. And it would likely be much earlier than that; the main line to Greeport was completed in 1844 with a station in Yaphank instituted in 1845. The South Side Rail Road line to Patchogue was completed in 1869. After those dates, Brookhaven and Bellport would most likely have been serviced by "station" stages, and it would seem that there would be no need for a long distance stage with overnight lodging stops.]

Date Entry Modified: 8/27/2011 12:00:00 AM
Photo ID: 50
Name: Seaman House
Type: Historic
Date: before 1941
Site Data Sheet Link Code: Br09D
Inventory Name: Seaman-Ljungvist house
Address: South Country Road
Source: Ljungquist
Source Call Number:

Comment: The house when it was located near to South Country Rd.

Date Entry Modified:
Photo ID: 255
Name: Seaman House
Type: Historic
Date: Uncertain
Site Data Sheet Link Code: Br09D
Inventory Name: Seaman-Ljungvist house
Address: South Country Road
Source: Post-Morrow
Source Call Number: RG1 Series 10

Comment: From: "Early Photographs of the Hamlet of Brookhaven collected by George Perley Morse 1945-1959."

Morse comments: "Old Seaman house before it was moved back to Fire Place Creek [Beaver Dam Creek]; now the home of William Hanaway.

"Captain Seaman came from England in 1635, bringing eight sons and eight daughters, and settled in Hempstead. His descendant John Seaman came to Brookhaven about 1779. The original name was Symonds or Simond of Danish origin and was changed to Seaman in this country."

Date Entry Modified: