August Hawkins and his sister Prudence around 1900

Menu


Brookhaven-South Haven BLOG:  news, events, and commentary

 

 

 

 

 

Site Images

Click on image for enlarged view.

Photo ID: 486
Name: John Larson, Post Chauffeur
Type: Historic
Date: uncertain
Site Data Sheet Link Code: Br09B.2-S
Inventory Name: Post Chauffeur's Cottage - Anderson/Kerins House
Address: 186 Beaver Dam Rd
Source: Post Morrow Foundation Heritage Collection
Source Call Number: post/JamesPostCar_2

Comment: This house was originally a residence provided by James H. Post to the family chauffeur, John Larsen, while the family was living in Brookhaven. Larsen was well liked by the Post family, serving as their chauffeur in Brooklyn as well as Brookhaven. In addition to managing the Post's motor vehicles and carriages, he also managed the Post's boats, horses, and other aspects of the Brookhaven property.

I'd appreciate knowing the make, model and year of the car.

Date Entry Modified: 2/25/2009 12:00:00 AM
Photo ID: 496
Name: Cottage at Original Location
Type: Historic
Date: About 1958
Site Data Sheet Link Code: Br09B.2-S
Inventory Name: Post Chauffeur's Cottage - Anderson/Kerins House
Address: 186 Beaver Dam Rd
Source: Kerins Family
Source Call Number: Post/PostChauffeurHouse/anderson1-1

Comment: Notation on verso: "Brookhaven house in original position. Note the 2nd garage attached on back. View from just off Beaver Dam Rd. looking SSE. The car is a 1950-51 Plymouth suburban 2 door green."

About 1958-59, Dr. R.C. Anderson purchased the cottage from the Post family heirs, and had it moved one lot west, to a site on the former Hubert estate.*

The garage addition to the right (behind the car) was detached by the Andersons, and at the new site was remodeled as a library.

The photograph was taken by Dr. Anderson and currently is in the possession of the Kerins family, modern owners of the property.

Date Entry Modified: 2/27/2009 12:00:00 AM
Photo ID: 497
Name: Cottage at Original Location
Type: Historic
Date: About 1958
Site Data Sheet Link Code: Br09B.2-S
Inventory Name: Post Chauffeur's Cottage - Anderson/Kerins House
Address: 186 Beaver Dam Rd
Source: Kerins family
Source Call Number: post/PostChauffeurHouse/anderson1-2

Comment: Notation on verso: "View of back of Brookhaven house - 'chauffers [sic] cottage' in original setting. View is to the North north west. The line of trees to the left mark the property line of extended holding. ~1958-1959"

The photograph was taken by Dr. R. C. Anderson and currently is in the possession of the Kerins family, modern owners of the property.

Date Entry Modified: 2/27/2009 12:00:00 AM
Photo ID: 502
Name: Chauffeur's Cottage
Type: Historic
Date: About 1958
Site Data Sheet Link Code: Br09B.2-S
Inventory Name: Post Chauffeur's Cottage - Anderson/Kerins House
Address: 186 Beaver Dam Rd
Source: Kerins family
Source Call Number: post/postchauffeurhouse/anderson4-1

Comment: While not notated, this view is probably from Beaver Dam Road.

Date Entry Modified: 3/5/2009 12:00:00 AM
Photo ID: 498
Name: Anderson House
Type: Historic
Date: About 1959
Site Data Sheet Link Code: Br09B.2-S
Inventory Name: Post Chauffeur's Cottage - Anderson/Kerins House
Address: 186 Beaver Dam Rd
Source: Kerins family
Source Call Number: Post/PostChauffeurHouse/anderson3-2

Comment: Notation on verso: "Pete, Lisa, RC at 'mushroom' table. Note early wall on porch consisting of panels that could be removed & stacked in the summer. ~1959"

This picture was likely taken shortly after the Anderson family moved in.

The gabled side to the left (north) is the side facing Beaver Dam Road. At the end of the porch, to the left, was the Anderson library. Both features can still be found in the modern Kerins house.

This photograph was among those passed on by Dr. R. C. Anderson to the Kerins family, modern owners of the property.

Date Entry Modified: 2/27/2009 12:00:00 AM
Photo ID: 495
Name: Kerins House
Type: Modern
Date: 26 Feb 2009
Site Data Sheet Link Code: Br09B.2-S
Inventory Name: Post Chauffeur's Cottage - Anderson/Kerins House
Address: 186 Beaver Dam Rd
Source: John Deitz
Source Call Number: 090226/IMG_3759

Comment: The chauffeur's cottage has been incorporated into a completely remodeled Kerins house. The original house is the 2-story peaked structure and low 1-story auxiliary building (with chimney) to the right (west). The simple original cottage has become the distintive architectural feature of the remodeled house.

Date Entry Modified: 2/27/2009 12:00:00 AM
Photo ID: 499
Name: Kerins House
Type: Modern
Date: 27 Feb 2009
Site Data Sheet Link Code: Br09B.2-S
Inventory Name: Post Chauffeur's Cottage - Anderson/Kerins House
Address: 186 Beaver Dam Rd
Source: John Deitz
Source Call Number: 090226/img_3766

Comment: Closeup of the Chauffeur's Cottage as incorporated into the modern Kerins House. The white porch leads to the semidetached game room, the former Anderson library.

Date Entry Modified: 2/28/2009 12:00:00 AM
Photo ID: 500
Name: Kerins House
Type: Modern
Date: 27 Feb 2009
Site Data Sheet Link Code: Br09B.2-S
Inventory Name: Post Chauffeur's Cottage - Anderson/Kerins House
Address: 186 Beaver Dam Rd
Source: John Deitz
Source Call Number: 090226/img_3765

Comment: The Kerins family game room (the Anderson's library). The structure was originally a garage addition to the Chauffeur's Cottage.

Date Entry Modified: 2/28/2009 12:00:00 AM
Photo ID: 501
Name: Site Map 2007
Type: Modern
Date: March 2007
Site Data Sheet Link Code: Br09B.2-S
Inventory Name: Post Chauffeur's Cottage - Anderson/Kerins House
Address: 186 Beaver Dam Rd
Source: Google Maps
Source Call Number: Google Map of Site

Comment: The Kerins purchased the site from the Andersons in 2006. This Google satellite image was taken just as the Kerins began work on the site. The Anderson house has not yet been touched. Much of the site has been cleared, and some horse pens constructed. At the south end of the site can be seen the foundation for the barn.

When R. C. Anderson had the house moved in 1958-59, the path was across a culivated field planted with rye. It is said he had to pay the farmer $75 to get permission to create a clear path to move the building.

It is also said that this site was an early 20th century experimental field operated by Cornell University studying the feasability of growing grapes on Long Island.

Date Entry Modified: 2/28/2009 12:00:00 AM