August Hawkins and his sister Prudence around 1900

Menu


Brookhaven-South Haven BLOG:  news, events, and commentary

 

 

 

 

 

Site Images

Click on image for enlarged view.

Photo ID: 248
Name: Ellison House
Type: Historic
Date: Shortly before 1952
Site Data Sheet Link Code: Br05D.1-S
Inventory Name: Ellison House
Address: South Country Rd.
Source: Post-Morrow
Source Call Number: RG1 Series 10

Comment: From "Early Photographs of the Hamlet of Brookhaven collected by George Perley Morse 1945-1959." Morse's caption: "Home of Thomas Ellison shortly before it was destroyed by fire in 1952. It stood just north of the Brook House on South Country Road." On the 1973 Beers map the location is labeled "Mrs. T. J. Ellison."

Date Entry Modified:
Photo ID: 284
Name: "Big Tom" Ellison
Type: Historic
Date: Uncertain
Site Data Sheet Link Code: Br05D.1-S
Inventory Name: Ellison House
Address: South Country Rd.
Source: Post-Morrow
Source Call Number:

Comment: "Big Tom" Ellison, born in 1806, was the son of the first postmaster of Fire Place. He and his mother ran the original Brook Store and tavern, originally on the other side of South Country Rd to the east of Beaver Dam Creek.

Date Entry Modified: