August Hawkins and his sister Prudence around 1900

Menu


Brookhaven-South Haven BLOG:  news, events, and commentary

 

 

 

 

 

Site Images

Click on image for enlarged view.

Photo ID: 526
Name: Better 'Ole cartoon
Type: Historic
Date:
Site Data Sheet Link Code: Br04A.1-S
Inventory Name: Better 'Ole Restaurant
Address: 416 South Country Rd. (at RR Viaduct)
Source:
Source Call Number: BetterOle/WellIfYouKnowsOfABetterOleGoToIt

Comment: Bruce Bairnsfather was the artist who produced the original WW I cartoon after which the restaurant was named. He also was the playwright for the original play of the adventures of Old Bill and his friends, Bert and Alf, in the trenches of the first World War. The play had different versions; in 1917, a successful musical based on the character Old Bill, "The Better 'Ole," opened in London at the Oxford Music Hall, where it ran for over 800 performances, starring Arthur Bourchier as Old Bill. In 1918-1919, it ran successfully in New York City at several different theaters, where Charles Coburn starred as Old Bill. It was made into a 1919 silent film and a 1926 Warner Brothers sound film, the 1926 version staring Syd Chaplin, Harold Goodwin, Jack Ackroyd, Edgar Kennedy, and Charles K. Gerrard. The 1926 version has been restored and is available on DVD.

Date Entry Modified: 1/4/2010 12:00:00 AM
Photo ID: 205
Name: Painters' Restaurant
Type: Modern
Date: 17 Jun 2003
Site Data Sheet Link Code: Br04A.1-S
Inventory Name: Better 'Ole Restaurant
Address: 416 South Country Rd. (at RR Viaduct)
Source: Deitz
Source Call Number: 030617/P030617 009

Comment:

Date Entry Modified:
Photo ID: 206
Name: Painters' Restaurant
Type: Modern
Date: 17 Jun 2003
Site Data Sheet Link Code: Br04A.1-S
Inventory Name: Better 'Ole Restaurant
Address: 416 South Country Rd. (at RR Viaduct)
Source: Deitz
Source Call Number: 030617/P030617 010

Comment:

Date Entry Modified:
Photo ID: 402
Name: The Better 'Ole Tea Porch
Type: Historic
Date: Early 20th Century
Site Data Sheet Link Code: Br04A.1-S
Inventory Name: Better 'Ole Restaurant
Address: 416 South Country Rd. (at RR Viaduct)
Source: Library of Congress
Source Call Number: LC-USZ62-127023 (b&w film copy neg.)

Comment: The Better 'Ole Restaurant was said to have been in operation since shortly after WWI. This picture likely shows the original restaurant.

Source identified by Ken Spooner.

The Library of Congress photograph is from the Wittemann Brothers Collection. Mr. Herman L. Wittemann's Brooklyn-based company, later known as the Albertype Company, produced over 25,000 photoprints which were used in postcard and souvenir booklets from about 1890 to 1952.

Date Entry Modified:
Photo ID: 533
Name: Drawing Room - Better 'Ole Tea Porch
Type: Post Card
Date: About 1925
Site Data Sheet Link Code: Br04A.1-S
Inventory Name: Better 'Ole Restaurant
Address: 416 South Country Rd. (at RR Viaduct)
Source: Deitz
Source Call Number: better ole/drawingroombetteroletearoom1925

Comment: Interior view from a post card, labeled "Drawing Room Better 'Ole Tea Porch"

Date Entry Modified: 1/23/2010 12:00:00 AM
Photo ID: 534
Name: Better 'Ole Tea Porch
Type: Post Card
Date: about 1925
Site Data Sheet Link Code: Br04A.1-S
Inventory Name: Better 'Ole Restaurant
Address: 416 South Country Rd. (at RR Viaduct)
Source: Deitz
Source Call Number: betterole/bettertoletearoom1925

Comment: From a Post Card. Labeled "Better 'Ole Tea Porch."

Date Entry Modified: 1/23/2010 12:00:00 AM
Photo ID: 245
Name: Better 'Ole Restaurant
Type: Post Card
Date: Uncertain (an Ebay auctioneer dates about 1940)
Site Data Sheet Link Code: Br04A.1-S
Inventory Name: Better 'Ole Restaurant
Address: 416 South Country Rd. (at RR Viaduct)
Source: Post-Morrow/Deitz
Source Call Number: RG3 Series 1

Comment: The Better 'Ole Restaurant was long identified by a large sign by the adjacent railroad tracks clearly visible to the railroad passengers. I would very much like to obtain a picture which shows this sign.

Original post Card was in color. However, reds have so faded that image renders better in grayscale.

Date Entry Modified:
Photo ID: 535
Name: Road Sign, The Better 'Ole
Type: Historic
Date: 1956
Site Data Sheet Link Code: Br04A.1-S
Inventory Name: Better 'Ole Restaurant
Address: 416 South Country Rd. (at RR Viaduct)
Source: Ron Kinsella
Source Call Number: BellportHighSchool/BellportHSYearbook/betterolesign1956

Comment: From the Bellport High School yearbook, 1956

Date Entry Modified: 1/23/2010 12:00:00 AM
Photo ID: 538
Name: Interior
Type: Post Card
Date: About 1951
Site Data Sheet Link Code: Br04A.1-S
Inventory Name: Better 'Ole Restaurant
Address: 416 South Country Rd. (at RR Viaduct)
Source: Post-Morrow Foundation Heritage Collection
Source Call Number: BetterOle/better'oleinteriorapr1951

Comment: Interior of the Better 'Ole, said to be the early 1950s.

Date Entry Modified: 2/8/2010 12:00:00 AM
Photo ID: 207
Name: Painters' Restaurant Rear
Type: Modern
Date: 17 Jun 2003
Site Data Sheet Link Code: Br04A.1-S
Inventory Name: Better 'Ole Restaurant
Address: 416 South Country Rd. (at RR Viaduct)
Source: Deitz
Source Call Number: 030617/P030617 012

Comment: The red 2-story wood frame section seen in this photograph may have been the original structure. It is located at the east end of the present restaurent complex, and appears as if it could have been a residence. There appears to have been a structure at this location in 1903 as indicated on the USGS map. 19th century census records and maps suggest that it may have been the residence of Joshua Carman.

Date Entry Modified: