August Hawkins and his sister Prudence around 1900


Brookhaven-South Haven BLOG:  news, events, and commentary






Historic and Natural Districts Inventory Form

Table of ContentsReturn to Sites Table of Contents

Unless indicated below, this is a transcript of the original Society for the Preservation of Long Island Antiquities/Town of Brookhaven survey form.  Corrections to obvious typographical and spelling errors have been made.  Corrections to factual errors, updates or comments on the information are either enclosed in [square brackets], or will be clearly indicated as updated material.  Since most of the surveys were conducted in the late 1970's and early 1980's, much of the information reflects that time period. 

Sites with an Inventory Code suffix of "S" are supplemental sites not included in the original surveys.

Historic and Natural Districts Inventory Form

Southaven Cemetery (Presbyterian Church)

 If checked, this is a Supplemental Form, not in the original surveys.

   Click for:
Photos and images   People Links   Related Sites   Printer Friendly
Picture People Other Documents Printer Friendly
Inventory Code:   SH03  
Prepared Date:   7/14/1982  
Last Modified:   7/14/1982  
Submitter Name:   Town of Brookhaven/SPLIA
Submitter Address:   Town Hall
205 S. Ocean Ave.
Patchogue, NY 11772  
Organization:   Brookhaven Community Development Agency
1-Site Name:   Southaven Cemetery (Presbyterian Church)  
2a-County:   Suffolk     2b-Town:   Brookhaven     2c-Village:   Hamlet of Southaven
Address:   Montauk Highway  
A small local cemetery standing some yards south of Montauk Highway on east side of private road to Robinson's Duck Farm. The Presbyterian Church, now moved to Brookhaven hamlet to save it from demolition [I do not believe this was the reason for the move], stood facing north just north of this cemetery. It is not fenced [it now has a split rail fence]. Only seven stones are left standing. There is periodic vandalism. For information on the church, see BH10A.  
A good example of a small church cemetery. It has lain here since the time of the founding of the Church in 1740.  
N.Y.S. DOT Bellport Quad  
7-Threats to Area
 By Zoning    By Roads
 By Developers  By Deterioration
 Other  by Vandalism  
8-Local Attitudes Toward the Area
Residents express regret over deterioration, but cannot stop vandalism.  
  Photos and images  
Prepared By:
  Ellen Williams, research assistant  
Supplemental Material
Eugene L. Armbruster, "Landmarks on the Montauk Highway," 1925. P. 11: "THE PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH shingled and painted white, was built about 1740 and rebuilt in 1828, the old frame being used and enlarged. The church yard in the rear, 50 by 100 feet, contains a score of tombstones."