August Hawkins and his sister Prudence around 1900

Menu


Brookhaven-South Haven BLOG:  news, events, and commentary

 

 

 

 

 

Historic and Natural Districts Inventory Form

Table of ContentsReturn to Sites Table of Contents

Unless indicated below, this is a transcript of the original Society for the Preservation of Long Island Antiquities/Town of Brookhaven survey form.  Corrections to obvious typographical and spelling errors have been made.  Corrections to factual errors, updates or comments on the information are either enclosed in [square brackets], or will be clearly indicated as updated material.  Since most of the surveys were conducted in the late 1970's and early 1980's, much of the information reflects that time period. 

Sites with an Inventory Code suffix of "S" are supplemental sites not included in the original surveys.


Historic and Natural Districts Inventory Form

Wertheim National Wildlife Refuge

 If checked, this is a Supplemental Form, not in the original surveys.

   Click for:
Photos and images   People Links   Related Sites   Printer Friendly
Picture People Other Documents Printer Friendly
Inventory Code:   SH01A  
Prepared Date:   7/14/1982  
Last Modified:   10/8/2010  
Submitter
Submitter Name:   Town of Brookhaven/SPLIA
Submitter Address:   Town Hall
205 S. Ocean Ave.
Patchogue, NY 11772  
Organization:   Brookhaven Community Development Agency
Identification
1-Site Name:   Wertheim National Wildlife Refuge  
2a-County:   Suffolk     2b-Town:   Brookhaven     2c-Village:   Hamlet of Southaven
Address:   360 Smith Rd. Shirley, NY 11967  
3-Description
The Wertheim Refuge is owned byy the Federal government and managed by the National Fish and Wildlife Service. It is comprised of 2400 acres of wooded uplands and wetlands. This includes several miles bordering the Great South Bay, and the Carman River from Montauk Highway south to the Bay. There are four creeks which feed the Carman's River (see map). Approximately 1800 acres were donated by Maurice Wertheim, and other parcels were acquired from private owners. Most recently, approximately twenty-five acres with a house and out-buildings were donated by Mrs. Lucille Wellington upon her death. These are situated on the west side of Carman's River, below Squassux Landing.

Also within the Refuge are the remains of a house built in 1801/1838 (see BH03) and the gunning lodge of Maurice Wertheim (see below)

 
4-Significance
 
5-Map
United States Department of Interior, Fish and Wildlife Service. Compiled in the Office of Realty from surveys by U.S.G.S., and USF&WS.  
 
6-Sources
 
7-Threats to Area
 By Zoning    By Roads
 By Developers  By Deterioration
 Other  None known  
8-Local Attitudes Toward the Area
Great local concern for area, and support for refuge is very high. Very positive.  
9-Photos
  Photos and images  
Prepared By:
  Ellen Williams, research assistant  
Supplemental Material
The deed from Maurice Wertheim to the Federal government which established the core of the Wertheim National Wildlife Refuge was made on 7 June 1947 (Suffolk County Deeds Liber 2714 p. 336). There were 38 separate parcels in this conveyance. Maurice Wertheim and his wife had a "life estate" in the property for and during the remainder of their natural lives. Maurice Wertheim died 27 May 1950; his wife Cecile Berlage died 3 Dec 1974. Therefore, it was not until after 1974 that the Federal government began active and exclusive management of the Refuge.

While it is true that Wertheim acquired the land "piecemeal," many of the pieces had already been assembled for him by the Carman River Corporation. For a brief history of this organization and its principals, see the memorandum prepared by Dr. Richard A. Thomas in the "other documents" section.