August Hawkins and his sister Prudence around 1900

Menu


Brookhaven-South Haven BLOG:  news, events, and commentary

 

 

 

 

 

Historic and Natural Districts Inventory Form

Table of ContentsReturn to Sites Table of Contents

Unless indicated below, this is a transcript of the original Society for the Preservation of Long Island Antiquities/Town of Brookhaven survey form.  Corrections to obvious typographical and spelling errors have been made.  Corrections to factual errors, updates or comments on the information are either enclosed in [square brackets], or will be clearly indicated as updated material.  Since most of the surveys were conducted in the late 1970's and early 1980's, much of the information reflects that time period. 

Sites with an Inventory Code suffix of "S" are supplemental sites not included in the original surveys.


Historic and Natural Districts Inventory Form

South Haven Hamlet District

 If checked, this is a Supplemental Form, not in the original surveys.

   Click for:
Photos and images   No Link Available   Related Sites   Printer Friendly
Picture People Other Documents Printer Friendly
Inventory Code:   SH01  
Prepared Date:   7/14/1982  
Last Modified:   7/9/2015  
Submitter
Submitter Name:   Town of Brookhaven/SPLIA
Submitter Address:   Town Hall
205 S. Ocean Ave.
Patchogue, NY 11772  
Organization:   Brookhaven Community Development Agency
Identification
1-Site Name:   South Haven Hamlet District  
2a-County:   Suffolk     2b-Town:   Brookhaven     2c-Village:   Hamlet of Southaven
Address:    
3-Description
South Haven is approximately 5 square miles in area. It is bounded on the east by Carman's River; on the west by Old Stump/Yaphank road; on the north by Southaven Park; and on the south also by the Carman's River. Settlers first came in the eighteenth century to this fertile farm land which rests on an important river. The Montauk Highway runs through the middle of Southaven. Part of it has become the Southaven Park, owned by Suffolk County.  
4-Significance
Southaven was first settled in the early 1700s. It is one of the earliest settlements on the south shore of Long Island, due to its location on the river. It was first known as "the South" and Fireplace, and the families came here from the settlements at Setauket. The Presbyterian Church was first built in 1728, the the Southaven Mills (later known as Carman's Mills) were built before 1745. Through the old South Country Road, now called Montauk Highway, and the Sunrise Highway, run through Southaven, it remains largely undeveloped until the present time. A large portion north of the Sunrise Highway is preserved as a park, and a very large tract is preserved in the Wertheim Refuge, south of Montauk Highway.  
5-Map
N.Y.S. DOT Bellport Quad See attached.  
 
6-Sources
 
7-Threats to Area
 By Zoning    By Roads
 By Developers  By Deterioration
 Other    
8-Local Attitudes Toward the Area
Positive.  
9-Photos
  Photos and images  
Prepared By:
  Ellen Williams, research assistant  
Supplemental Material
1910: Town Board decides that highway at the going-over bridge crossing the Carmen's River should be straightened. "The Town Board and Superintendent of Highways convened at Patchogue on Monday and proceeded to Southaven to investigate the condition of the highway crossing the bridge at Carman's River. After a thorough examination of the existing conditions, it was the sense of the board that the highway should be straightened to meet the requirements for safety of the increased travel over said highway." The Port Jefferson Echo, Saturday, September 24, 1910.