August Hawkins and his sister Prudence around 1900

Menu


Brookhaven-South Haven BLOG:  news, events, and commentary

 

 

 

 

 

Historic and Natural Districts Inventory Form

Table of ContentsReturn to Sites Table of Contents

Unless indicated below, this is a transcript of the original Society for the Preservation of Long Island Antiquities/Town of Brookhaven survey form.  Corrections to obvious typographical and spelling errors have been made.  Corrections to factual errors, updates or comments on the information are either enclosed in [square brackets], or will be clearly indicated as updated material.  Since most of the surveys were conducted in the late 1970's and early 1980's, much of the information reflects that time period. 

Sites with an Inventory Code suffix of "S" are supplemental sites not included in the original surveys.


Historic and Natural Districts Inventory Form

Rose Cemetery

 If checked, this is a Supplemental Form, not in the original surveys.

   Click for:
Photos and images   No Link Available   Related Sites   Printer Friendly
Picture People Other Documents Printer Friendly
Inventory Code:   Br33  
Prepared Date:   8/16/1982  
Last Modified:   8/16/1982  
Submitter
Submitter Name:   Town of Brookhaven/SPLIA
Submitter Address:   Town Hall
205 S. Ocean Ave.
Patchogue, NY 11772  
Organization:   Brookhaven Community Development Agency
Identification
1-Site Name:   Rose Cemetery  
2a-County:   Suffolk     2b-Town:   Brookhaven     2c-Village:   Hamlet of Brookhaven
Address:   Jareds Path  
3-Description
Rose Cemetery is located in a farmer's field, midway between Mott Lane and Edgar Avenue, about one third of a mile south of Beaver Dam Road. It is reached by a cart path, and measures approximately 35' by 50'. It once contained about twenty-five graves, but some were moved to Oaklawn Cemetery in 1873 when that cemetery opened [incorrect, Oaklawn Cemetery opened in 1890.] Many of the gravestones are now broken. Only a half dozen remain standing.  
4-Significance
The Rose family were the first to settle and farm on Beaver Dam Road. It was largely through their efforts that Beaver Dam Road was created a road by the early town fathers (1735). The cemetery lies behind the site of an early Rose house, now gone. Two officers of the Revolutionary War, both Roses, lie buried here. Other graves of early nineteenth century residents are record of the Rose family who passed out of influence by the 1840s.  
5-Map
not reproducible  
 
6-Sources
 
7-Threats to Area
 By Zoning    By Roads
 By Developers  By Deterioration
 Other    
8-Local Attitudes Toward the Area
The Rose Cemetery has been slowly eroded in size by farming of the area, but was recently fenced by the Town, through the efforts of the Brookhaven Village Association Cemetery Committee  
9-Photos
  Photos and images  
Prepared By:
  Ellen Williams, research assistant  
Supplemental Material