From Osborne Shaw's "History of Brookhaven," October 5th, 1933:
"Anyone owning property along the south side of Beaver Dam Road, can well imagine how inconvenient it would be, if he or she had to drive down to the head of the meadow along the Bay and then turn into a cross road and from it, enter his or her land. It was just such a condition as this that the owners of the Long Lots found themselves in, after each of the meadow shares skirting the Bay had 15 acres of upland annexed. They must have been very patient for it was not until 1735, that they petitioned for a change. On the 26th of March, that year, they petitioned the road commissioners to move the south crossroad up to the north ends of their lots, complaining that they had "by Experence found: ye unconveniency of ye high waye layd att ye south end of oure :15: aker lots in ye fier place neck". From this petition, it will be learned who were the owners in 1735. They were Thomas Hulse, Daniel Rose, Eleazer Hawkins, Thomas Rose, Nathan Rose, William Helme, Richard Hulse, John Hulse, John Hulse, Jr., Nathaniel Bayles, John Wood and James Tuthill -- twelve names, so we learn that there were twelve lots, each of 15 acres excluding meadow, in the Long Lots. It was two years later, on the 10th of June 1737 before the road was reported as laid out, and this road, of course, is your Beaver Dam Road. At the same time, the old south cross-road was closed and the land given to the twelve owners in exchange for the land taken off the north ends of their lots. From the report, it is learned that the old south cross-road ran from Squassucks Point to the "Little Fly". As "Fly" is an English corruption of the old Dutch word Vlaie, meaning a low marsh piece of ground, or a meadow, evidence is added that the Little Fly is the meadow adjoining Fire Place Creek [Beaver Dam Creek] and that the old cross-road ran only to it. In connection with Little Fly, I might properly add here that the meadow adjoining the Connecticut river was called the "Great Fly", thus Fire Place Neck had its Little Fly and its Great Fly and both are spoken of in the town records several times."