August Hawkins and his sister Prudence around 1900

Menu


Brookhaven-South Haven BLOG:  news, events, and commentary

 

 

 

 

 

Historic and Natural Districts Inventory Form

Table of ContentsReturn to Sites Table of Contents

Unless indicated below, this is a transcript of the original Society for the Preservation of Long Island Antiquities/Town of Brookhaven survey form.  Corrections to obvious typographical and spelling errors have been made.  Corrections to factual errors, updates or comments on the information are either enclosed in [square brackets], or will be clearly indicated as updated material.  Since most of the surveys were conducted in the late 1970's and early 1980's, much of the information reflects that time period. 

Sites with an Inventory Code suffix of "S" are supplemental sites not included in the original surveys.


Historic and Natural Districts Inventory Form

Squassux Landing

 If checked, this is a Supplemental Form, not in the original surveys.

   Click for:
Photos and images   No Link Available   Related Sites   Printer Friendly
Picture People Other Documents Printer Friendly
Inventory Code:   Br16  
Prepared Date:   8/16/1982  
Last Modified:   11/7/2010  
Submitter
Submitter Name:   Town of Brookhaven/SPLIA
Submitter Address:   Town Hall
205 S. Ocean Ave.
Patchogue, NY 11772  
Organization:   Brookhaven Community Development Agency
Identification
1-Site Name:   Squassux Landing  
2a-County:   Suffolk     2b-Town:   Brookhaven     2c-Village:   Hamlet of Brookhaven
Address:   About 372-374 Beaver Dam Road  
3-Description
Squassux landing is located on the Carman's River at the bottom of Beaver Dam Road. A bulk headed portion forms the end of the road and is a public area for fishing and crabbing. The larger portion to the south is privately owned and maintained by the Brookhaven Village Association, as a boat landing and dockage. About forty narrow docks on locust posts sit on the river bank. There are two narrow canals to the west of the river also used for dock space. The area is mostly wetlands with phragmites and waterfowl in profusion. Note that the Carman's River is a New York State protected river, and the Wertheim Wildlife Refuge extends to the east and part of the west. Immediately to the west of Squassux Landing is a privately owned boatyard working since before the turn of the century.  
4-Significance

Fishermen, sailors, and haulers have used the landing since the early eighteenth century. Before that it was used by Indians living in the lands stretching across the south shore who were whalers. It is a natural landing place at the end of the Carman's River which in early days was much deeper, influenced by the opening to the Atlantic Ocean directly across the bay form the mouth of the river. That inlet has since closed up (in the 1830's). [The inlet first opened in the 1770's and closed in 1837, and was therefore only open about 65 years.] It is named for an Indian who is supposed to have lived here and made pottery. The name Fire Place derives, according to some stories, from the fires made in the pottery kilns.

[Additional and updated information on the history of the Carman's River, the inlet, and Squassux Landing may be found elsewhere on this web site.]

 
5-Map
NYS DOT Bellport Quad;
The latitude and longitude of Squassux Landing, New York is: 40° 46' 23" N / 72° 53' 57" W
 
 
View Larger Map
6-Sources
 
7-Threats to Area
 By Zoning    By Roads
 By Developers  By Deterioration
 Other  None known  
8-Local Attitudes Toward the Area

The area is much appreciated by all who use it. The boat slips are maintained by the Brookhaven Village Association. This land was given as a gift by James Post (See Br10) a local benefactor of the community, who acquired it in order to keep it open to the local residents.

[James H. Post's daughters deeded the land to the Brookhaven Village Association in 1945 - being the same premises conveyed to James H. Post by Carman R. Lush in 1917, being the same premises conveyed to Carman R. Lush by Edward Carman and his wife Isabella and Joseph Carman and his wife Eliza in 1907 (Deed Liber 609, page 370-372). Ownersip prior to 1907, ownership is uncertain and is being researched. Breschard.]

 
9-Photos
  Photos and images  
Prepared By:
  Ellen Williams, Research Assistant.  
Supplemental Material

Riverhead County Review, Friday, Aug. 30, 1907:
"The public spirit of Neighbor Lush in conceding shore rights at Carman's river in order that the town of Brookhaven may have a public dock, is there worthy of emulation in other sections of the Island. There are many places where such concessions on the part of individuals would be very beneficial to the general public.

Patchogue Advance, 31 August, 1934, P. 6:
"Brookhaven Has Thriving Industry This Summer in Clams and Fish
The dock at the foot of Beaver Dam road on Carman's River, Brookhaven, is the scene of a thriving industry this summer. Boat loads of clams are brought in every day and shipped to Fulton market, Brooklyn, and other places in the evening. For the last six weeks there has been an average of 100 tubs a day, five days a week, and thousands of tubs have beens hipped since the beginning of the season. Although there are no crabs, eels and fish are brought in and Alfred Smith, who has the house boat at the foot of the road, reports as much as 200 pounds of fish have been caught in the nets in one night.