August Hawkins and his sister Prudence around 1900

Menu


Brookhaven-South Haven BLOG:  news, events, and commentary

 

 

 

 

 

Historic and Natural Districts Inventory Form

Table of ContentsReturn to Sites Table of Contents

Unless indicated below, this is a transcript of the original Society for the Preservation of Long Island Antiquities/Town of Brookhaven survey form.  Corrections to obvious typographical and spelling errors have been made.  Corrections to factual errors, updates or comments on the information are either enclosed in [square brackets], or will be clearly indicated as updated material.  Since most of the surveys were conducted in the late 1970's and early 1980's, much of the information reflects that time period. 

Sites with an Inventory Code suffix of "S" are supplemental sites not included in the original surveys.


Historic and Natural Districts Inventory Form

Snow's Corner

 If checked, this is a Supplemental Form, not in the original surveys.

   Click for:
No Link Available   People Links   No Link Available   Printer Friendly
Picture People Other Documents Printer Friendly
Inventory Code:   Br02.0-S  
Prepared Date:   1/31/2010  
Last Modified:   1/31/2010  
Submitter
Submitter Name:   John Deitz
Submitter Address:   7 Locust Rd.

Brookhaven, NY 11719  
Organization:  
Identification
1-Site Name:   Snow's Corner  
2a-County:   Suffolk     2b-Town:   Brookhaven     2c-Village:   Hamlet of Brookhaven
Address:   Montauk Highway and Yaphank Avenue (Old Stump Road)  
3-Description

Snow's corner was the intersection of Montauk Highway (South Country Road, County Road 80) and Yaphank Avenue. South of Montauk Highway, Yaphank Ave. is now usually known as Old Stump Road, although historically Yaphank Avenue extended all the way south to the Long Island Rail Road tracks, with Old Stump Road then extending from there south.

On 5 September 1899, William H. Snow sold the property to Silas Tuthill for $900, at which time it consisted of about 11 acres on the west side of Yaphank Avenue extending 124 rods northward from South Country Road. (Suffolk County Deeds Libor 570, page 485, recorded 2 November 1899).

 
4-Significance
It is said to have gotten its name as the location of the William Snow family homestead in the early 19th century. William was a shoemaker, and his gravestone is in the nearby "Barteau Cemetery." There is no evidence of this homestead now.  
5-Map

View Larger Map
 
 
6-Sources
 
7-Threats to Area
 By Zoning    By Roads
 By Developers  By Deterioration
 Other    
8-Local Attitudes Toward the Area
 
9-Photos
  No Link Available  
Prepared By:
   
Supplemental Material