August Hawkins and his sister Prudence around 1900

Menu


Brookhaven-South Haven BLOG:  news, events, and commentary

 

 

 

 

 

Historic and Natural Districts Inventory Form

Table of ContentsReturn to Sites Table of Contents

Unless indicated below, this is a transcript of the original Society for the Preservation of Long Island Antiquities/Town of Brookhaven survey form.  Corrections to obvious typographical and spelling errors have been made.  Corrections to factual errors, updates or comments on the information are either enclosed in [square brackets], or will be clearly indicated as updated material.  Since most of the surveys were conducted in the late 1970's and early 1980's, much of the information reflects that time period. 

Sites with an Inventory Code suffix of "S" are supplemental sites not included in the original surveys.


Historic and Natural Districts Inventory Form

South Country Road

 If checked, this is a Supplemental Form, not in the original surveys.

   Click for:
Photos and images   No Link Available   No Link Available   Printer Friendly
Picture People Other Documents Printer Friendly
Inventory Code:   Br01.1.2-S  
Prepared Date:   10/24/2015  
Last Modified:   10/24/2015  
Submitter
Submitter Name:   John Deitz
Submitter Address:   7 Locust Rd.

Brookhaven, NY 11719  
Organization:  
Identification
1-Site Name:   South Country Road  
2a-County:   Suffolk     2b-Town:   Brookhaven     2c-Village:   Hamlet of Brookhaven
Address:   South Country Rd., Brookhaven, NY  
3-Description

South Country Road was one of the earliest Town of Brookhaven roads running east-west "at South." While there was likely an east-west path or trail at south in the late 17th century, Town records first formalize a road from Fire Place to Wintrops Patent (Patchogue) in the Town minutes of 5 May 1724. The road eastward to South Haven and the Manor of St. George (Mastic) was no doubt much earlier, soon after the Old Purchase at South in 1664. Portions of this road were not formalized in the Town records until 15 April 1762 as a four-rod road, following the "usual path."

At the time, the term "Country Road" seems to have had a meaning more than just as a rural road, but as a major through road or highway between communities. Thus we have in Suffolk County major east-west highways "North Country Road" (to Orient), "Middle Country Road" (to Riverhead), and "South Country Road" (now Montauk Highway to Montauk Point).

 
4-Significance
Until modern times (with the construction of the Sunrise Highway expressway), South Country Road was the main east-west highway along the south shore. It became known as Montauk Highway, altthough sections of the original road retained the name South Country Road or Old South Country Road, especially where improvements were made to the roadway path bypassing sections of the original road. For example, the section of road between Brookhaven and Patchogue, through Bellport and East Patchogue, retains the name South Country after it was bypassed by modern Montauk Highway (a.k.a, Robinson Blvd.) about 1931. And a short section of the roadway in South Haven retains the name "Old South Country Road" after it was bypassed about 1935.  
5-Map
 
  Historical Maps
6-Sources
 
7-Threats to Area
 By Zoning    By Roads
 By Developers  By Deterioration
 Other    
8-Local Attitudes Toward the Area
 
9-Photos
  Photos and images  
Prepared By:
   
Supplemental Material