Building Inventory Form

Unless indicated below, this is a transcript of the original Society for the Preservation of Long Island Antiquities/Town of Brookhaven survey form.  Corrections to obvious typographical and spelling errors have been made.  Corrections to factual errors, updates or comments on the information are either enclosed in [square brackets], or will be clearly indicated as updated material with textual comments.  Since most of the surveys were conducted in the late 1970's and early 1980's, much of the information reflects that time period. 

Sites which have a suffix of "S" are supplemental sites not included in the original surveys.

Building-Structure Inventory Form

Brookhaven Free Library

 If checked, this is a Supplemental Form, not included in the original surveys.

Inventory Code: Br27
Prepared Date: 8/16/1982
Last modified: 6/20/2011
Original Submitter
Submitter Name: Town of Brookhaven/SPLIA
Submitter Address: Town Hall
205 S. Ocean Ave.
Organization: Brookhaven Community Development Agency
1-Building/Site Name:  
2a-County:   Suffolk 2b-Town:  Brookhaven 2c-Village:  Hamlet of Brookhaven
3-Street Location:   273 Beaver Dam Road at Library Lane

 If checked, this site is within the Fire Place (Brookhaven Hamlet) Historic District

   4a-Public     4b-Private
5a-Owner  (at original survey date):    5b-Address:   

6a-Original:    library

6b-Present:    library

 7a-Visible From Road

 7b-Interior Accessible:
7b-Interior Comment:   during open hours  
Building Materials 
   8a-Clapboard    8b-Stone    8c-Brick
   8d-Board & Batten    8e-Cobblestone    8f-Shingles
Structural System
   9a-Wood Frame Interlocking Joints    9b-Wood Frame Light Members:    9c-Masonry:
9d-Metal Comment:     
9e-Other Comment:     
    10a-Excellent   10b-Good   10c-Fair     10d-Deteriorated
   11a-Original Site  11b-Moved   If so, when?  
11c-Alterations:  [various additions]  
Photo & Map
12-Photo Photos and images
View Larger Map
  14a-None Known:    14b-Zoning   14c-Roads
  14d-Developers :   14e-Deterioration
Related Outbuildings
and Property

  15a-Barn   15b-Carriage House  15c-Garage
  15d-Privy   15e-Shed   15f-Greenhouse
  15g-Shop   15h-Gardens   15i-Landscape Features
15i-Landscape Features:   
Surroundings of the Building
  16a-Open Land   16b-Woodland   16c-Scattered Bldgs.
  16d-Densely Built-up   16e-Commercial  16f-Industrial
  16g-Residential 16h-Other:   
Interrelationship of Building and Surroundings
17-Interrelationships:   This structure is located on Beaver Dam Road, which was first opened in 1735  
Other Notable Features of Building and Site
18-Notable Features: The land was donated by James Post (see Br10); it was previously part of the Rose property which extended up and down Beaver Dam Road until the early 1800s. A Rose cemetery was located at this site until Oaklawn Cemetery was founded and all the graves moved there.      
19-Initial Const Date:   1926
Historic and Architectural Importance
20-Importance:   1 1/2 story, 3 bay, side entrance plan, gable roof library building. Its basic design is drawn from the Long Island vernacular farmhouse, and blends with the early buildings found in Brookhaven Hamlet. The 1 story wing on east was added later [as well as the addition on the north side.] Shingled roof, dentilled cornice board, and paneled blinds and front door. The doorknob and plate were a gift to the library of Mrs. Lyons who formerly owned the John Rose House (Br29B) from which they were removed.*   
21-Sources:      * Interview: Mrs. Deborah Love/Sack, 235 Beaver Dam Road, Brookhaven. Bigelow, Stephanie, "Bellport and Brookhaven, 1968.  
Prepared By:
  Ellen Williams, research assistant.
Supplemental Material: