August Hawkins and his sister Prudence around 1900

Menu


Brookhaven-South Haven BLOG:  news, events, and commentary

 

 

 

 

 

Building Inventory Form

Table of ContentsReturn to Sites Table of Contents

Unless indicated below, this is a transcript of the original Society for the Preservation of Long Island Antiquities/Town of Brookhaven survey form.   Since most of the surveys were conducted in the late 1970's and early 1980's, much of the information reflects that time period. 

Corrections to obvious typographical and spelling errors have been made.  Corrections to factual errors in the original surveys, and updates or comments on the information are either enclosed in [square brackets], or are clearly indicated as updated material from the context of the comments. 

Sites which have a suffix of "S" are supplemental sites not included in the original surveys.


Building-Structure Inventory Form

Samual Hawkins/Paris House

 If checked, this is a Supplemental Form, not included in the original surveys.

Click for:
 Photos and images

No Link Available

No Link Available Printer Friendly
Images People Other Documents Printer Friendly
Inventory Code: SH11
Prepared Date: 7/17/1982
Last modified: 4/17/2014
Original Submitter
Submitter Name: Town of Brookhaven/SPLIA
Submitter Address: Town Hall
205 S. Ocean Ave.
631-634-7806
Organization: Brookhaven Community Development Agency
Identification
1-Building/Site Name:  
2a-County:   Suffolk 2b-Town:  Brookhaven 2c-Village:  Hamlet of Southaven
3-Street Location:   2715 Montauk Highway

 If checked, this site is within the Fire Place (Brookhaven Hamlet) Historic District

Ownership
   4a-Public     4b-Private
5a-Owner  (at original survey date):    Mrs. R. M. Paris [1982] 5b-Address:    2715 Montauk Highway, Southaven
Use

6a-Original:    residence

6b-Present:    residence

Accessibility
 7a-Visible From Road

 7b-Interior Accessible:
7b-Interior Comment:   by appointment  
Building Materials 
   8a-Clapboard    8b-Stone    8c-Brick
   8d-Board & Batten    8e-Cobblestone    8f-Shingles
   8g-Stucco
8-Other:     
Structural System
   9a-Wood Frame Interlocking Joints    9b-Wood Frame Light Members:    9c-Masonry:
    9d-Metal
9d-Metal Comment:     
   9e-Other
9e-Other Comment:     
Condition
    10a-Excellent   10b-Good   10c-Fair     10d-Deteriorated
Integrity
   11a-Original Site  11b-Moved   If so, when?  
11c-Alterations:  Modern windows. Porch added and partly enclosed on front.  
Photo & Map
12-Photo Photos and images
13-Map
Threats
  14a-None Known:    14b-Zoning   14c-Roads
  14d-Developers :   14e-Deterioration
14f-Other:     
14-Comment:     
Related Outbuildings
and Property

  15a-Barn   15b-Carriage House  15c-Garage
  15d-Privy   15e-Shed   15f-Greenhouse
  15g-Shop   15h-Gardens   15i-Landscape Features
15i-Landscape Features:   
15j-Other:   
15-Comment:     
Surroundings of the Building
  16a-Open Land   16b-Woodland   16c-Scattered Bldgs.
  16d-Densely Built-up   16e-Commercial  16f-Industrial
  16g-Residential 16h-Other:   
Interrelationship of Building and Surroundings
17-Interrelationships:   This structure is located in the hamlet of South Haven, which was first settled in the eighteenth century.  
Other Notable Features of Building and Site
18-Notable Features: 

This house was owned by Samual Hawkins in 1858. It is marked but unidentified on the 1838 map.*

Armbruster says it was built about 1787.

[This house may have been mis-identified as "Samual Hawkins in 1858." The location of houses on the 1858 map are imprecise; this house may actually be a house further west of the house identified as "S. Hawkins" on the 1858 map – perhaps "N. Hawkins." N. Hawkins may have been the Rev. Nathaniel Hawkins (d. 1860).]  

   
Significance
19-Initial Const Date:   before 1858.
19-Architect:    
19-Builder:    
Historic and Architectural Importance
20-Importance:   1 1/2 story, 5 bay, center entrance, gambrel roof house. It is very similar in style to the Tobin-Homan house (see SH07)   
Sources
21-Sources:      Armbruster, Eugene, Landmarks on the Montauk Highway, 1925, p. 10.. [Some have suggested that Ambruster's commentary on "The Captain Seaman House" as a reference to the present house is wrong.. Instead it is a reference to the "Seaman-Ljungvist house," Br09D, located several miles further west on South Country road.]

Map of Suffolk County, James Chace, New York: 1858. Repository: Bellport-Brookhaven Historical Society.

U.S. Coast Survey Map, No. 58, 1838. Repository: Library of Congress, Washington, D.C.
 
Theme
22-Theme:   Residential   
Prepared By:
  Ellen Williams, research assistant.
Supplemental Material: 
  * From Landmarks on the Montauk Highway, by Eugene L. Armbruster, 1925.