August Hawkins and his sister Prudence around 1900

Menu


Brookhaven-South Haven BLOG:  news, events, and commentary

 

 

 

 

 

Building Inventory Form

Table of ContentsReturn to Sites Table of Contents

Unless indicated below, this is a transcript of the original Society for the Preservation of Long Island Antiquities/Town of Brookhaven survey form.   Since most of the surveys were conducted in the late 1970's and early 1980's, much of the information reflects that time period. 

Corrections to obvious typographical and spelling errors have been made.  Corrections to factual errors in the original surveys, and updates or comments on the information are either enclosed in [square brackets], or are clearly indicated as updated material from the context of the comments. 

Sites which have a suffix of "S" are supplemental sites not included in the original surveys.


Building-Structure Inventory Form

Theodosia Carman house

 If checked, this is a Supplemental Form, not included in the original surveys.

Click for:
 Photos and images

People Links

Related Sites Printer Friendly
Images People Other Documents Printer Friendly
Inventory Code: SH09
Prepared Date: 7/15/1982
Last modified: 8/8/2014
Original Submitter
Submitter Name: Town of Brookhaven/SPLIA
Submitter Address: Town Hall
205 S. Ocean Ave.
631-634-7806
Organization: Brookhaven Community Development Agency
Identification
1-Building/Site Name:  
2a-County:   Suffolk 2b-Town:  Brookhaven 2c-Village:  Hamlet of Southaven
3-Street Location:   2777 Montauk Highway

 If checked, this site is within the Fire Place (Brookhaven Hamlet) Historic District

Ownership
   4a-Public     4b-Private
5a-Owner  (at original survey date):    Carlo Cestra 5b-Address:    2777 Montauk Highway
Use

6a-Original:    residence

6b-Present:    residence

Accessibility
 7a-Visible From Road

 7b-Interior Accessible:
7b-Interior Comment:   by appointment  
Building Materials 
   8a-Clapboard    8b-Stone    8c-Brick
   8d-Board & Batten    8e-Cobblestone    8f-Shingles
   8g-Stucco
8-Other:     
Structural System
   9a-Wood Frame Interlocking Joints    9b-Wood Frame Light Members:    9c-Masonry:
    9d-Metal
9d-Metal Comment:     
   9e-Other
9e-Other Comment:     
Condition
    10a-Excellent   10b-Good   10c-Fair     10d-Deteriorated
Integrity
   11a-Original Site  11b-Moved   If so, when?  
11c-Alterations:   
Photo & Map
12-Photo Photos and images
13-Map
View Larger Map
Threats
  14a-None Known:    14b-Zoning   14c-Roads
  14d-Developers :   14e-Deterioration
14f-Other:     
14-Comment:     
Related Outbuildings
and Property

  15a-Barn   15b-Carriage House  15c-Garage
  15d-Privy   15e-Shed   15f-Greenhouse
  15g-Shop   15h-Gardens   15i-Landscape Features
15i-Landscape Features:   
15j-Other:   
15-Comment:     
Surroundings of the Building
  16a-Open Land   16b-Woodland   16c-Scattered Bldgs.
  16d-Densely Built-up   16e-Commercial  16f-Industrial
  16g-Residential 16h-Other:   
Interrelationship of Building and Surroundings
17-Interrelationships:   This structure is located in Southaven, which was first settled in the eighteenth century.  
Other Notable Features of Building and Site
18-Notable Features: The property on wehich nthe house sits was gifted to Theodosie (Carman) Smith by her father Samuel Carmen, Sr.. in 1821. The house was said to have been built for her as a wedding present by her father, Samuel Carman, Sr., who owned Carman's Mills. The 1797 Hulse Map of the Town of Brookhaven indicates a dwelling house at a location near that which on later maps is identified as belonging to Theodocia, If this house was a wedding present, it is unlikely the same one shown on the 1797 map. See Richard Thomas' history in Other Documents section.      
Significance
19-Initial Const Date:   perhaps before 1797, more likely early 19th century, say 1818-1821
19-Architect:    
19-Builder:  Samuel Carman Sr.  
Historic and Architectural Importance
20-Importance:   2 1/2 story, 3 bay, gable roof, brick, Greek Revival house with 4 bay, 1 1/2 story, brick, gable roof wing on west with 4 small windows under the eaves. Brick pilasters on main house. Wide-frieze cornice with returns. Dentiles under gable eaves, and 4 low-level windows in the frieze.
The "block and wing" style was popular from the late eighteenth century into the middle of the nineteenth.The "block" or "upright" section is called a "two-story, three-bay, half house" and is a common Long Island house type.
It's called a "half-house" because of the asymmetrical arrangement of three bays. Instead of being a five-bay house with a center entrance and hall, the entrance is at one side. (It should really be called a 3/5ths house.) A "half house" has a side hall instead of a central hall. Like a full house, the long axis, rather than a gabled end, of the half house faces the road.
The "two-story, three-bay, half-house" was popular during the late colonial, Georgian, and Federal periods.
Brick houses of this era are unusual on Long Island, being considerably more expensive to build than wood framed structures.
 
 
Sources
21-Sources:      "U.S. Coast Survey Map," No. 58, 1836-38. Repository: Library of Congress, Washington, D.C.
"U.S. Census for 1850," p. 202, repository: Library, SUNY at Stony Brook. [See this site for transcript.
1797 Isaac Hulse Map of the Town of Brookhaven
 
Theme
22-Theme:   residential   
Prepared By:
  Ellen Williams, research assistant. Revised J. Deitz
Supplemental Material: 
  Photo from Pratt Album. Theodosia Carman house now owned by Cestra family taken from SW, front.