August Hawkins and his sister Prudence around 1900

Menu


Brookhaven-South Haven BLOG:  news, events, and commentary

 

 

 

 

 

Building Inventory Form

Table of ContentsReturn to Sites Table of Contents

Unless indicated below, this is a transcript of the original Society for the Preservation of Long Island Antiquities/Town of Brookhaven survey form.   Since most of the surveys were conducted in the late 1970's and early 1980's, much of the information reflects that time period. 

Corrections to obvious typographical and spelling errors have been made.  Corrections to factual errors in the original surveys, and updates or comments on the information are either enclosed in [square brackets], or are clearly indicated as updated material from the context of the comments. 

Sites which have a suffix of "S" are supplemental sites not included in the original surveys.


Building-Structure Inventory Form

Stirling-Clevidence House

 If checked, this is a Supplemental Form, not included in the original surveys.

Click for:
 Photos and images

People Links

No Link Available Printer Friendly
Images People Other Documents Printer Friendly
Inventory Code: Br37.01-S
Prepared Date: 1/4/2006
Last modified: 5/6/2009
Original Submitter
Submitter Name: John Deitz
Submitter Address: 7 Locust Rd.

631-286-3178
Organization:
Identification
1-Building/Site Name:  
2a-County:   Suffolk 2b-Town:  Brookhaven 2c-Village:  Hamlet of Brookhaven
3-Street Location:   South end Edgar Ave. (108 Edgar Ave.)

 If checked, this site is within the Fire Place (Brookhaven Hamlet) Historic District

Ownership
   4a-Public     4b-Private
5a-Owner  (at original survey date):    Gary Clevidence 5b-Address:    south end Edgar Ave
Use

6a-Original:    residence

6b-Present:    residence

Accessibility
 7a-Visible From Road

 7b-Interior Accessible:
7b-Interior Comment:   by appointment  
Building Materials 
   8a-Clapboard    8b-Stone    8c-Brick
   8d-Board & Batten    8e-Cobblestone    8f-Shingles
   8g-Stucco
8-Other:     
Structural System
   9a-Wood Frame Interlocking Joints    9b-Wood Frame Light Members:    9c-Masonry:
    9d-Metal
9d-Metal Comment:     
   9e-Other
9e-Other Comment:     
Condition
    10a-Excellent   10b-Good   10c-Fair     10d-Deteriorated
Integrity
   11a-Original Site  11b-Moved   If so, when?   abt 1952
11c-Alterations:  Rear kitchen addition, garage and woor shed attached to structure  
Photo & Map
12-Photo Photos and images
13-Map
Threats
  14a-None Known:    14b-Zoning   14c-Roads
  14d-Developers :   14e-Deterioration
14f-Other:   This structure is in the wetlands and subject and especially vulnerable to severe storms.  
14-Comment:     
Related Outbuildings
and Property

  15a-Barn   15b-Carriage House  15c-Garage
  15d-Privy   15e-Shed   15f-Greenhouse
  15g-Shop   15h-Gardens   15i-Landscape Features
15i-Landscape Features:   
15j-Other:   
15-Comment:     
Surroundings of the Building
  16a-Open Land   16b-Woodland   16c-Scattered Bldgs.
  16d-Densely Built-up   16e-Commercial  16f-Industrial
  16g-Residential 16h-Other:   Wetlands
Interrelationship of Building and Surroundings
17-Interrelationships:    
Other Notable Features of Building and Site
18-Notable Features:       
Significance
19-Initial Const Date:   Parts early 19th century, perhaps late 18th century.
19-Architect:    
19-Builder:    
Historic and Architectural Importance
20-Importance:   The front 1 1/2-story section of this house was originally a part of a house in South Haven on Montauk Highway owned by Kenneth Hard and the Hard Estate/Suffolk Game Preserve. About 1952, this structure was purchased by Robert (Bud) Stirling and moved to this Brookhaven Hamlet location. He also brought in fill that raises the house 4-5 feet above the marshland, and constructed the road at the end of Edgar Ave. to the house.

A modern kitchen wing has been added to the rear of the house, a garage and work sheds added to the north side, and a dormer added to the south side. There has been some remodeling to the interior, although some of the wide floorboards still contain original hand forged nails. Additional windows and doors have also been added to the exterior facades.

From this house there is an unobstructed view across the marshland (originally a salt hay meadow) to the Great South Bay.
 
 

Sources
21-Sources:      Interviews with Gary Clevidence (current owner), Ken Hard (friend of Bud Stirling), Ruth Stirling Gould (Bud's sister), Joan and Dick Watson (remembers specifically discussing the house with Bud), and others, mostly conducted by Marty van Lith.  
Theme
22-Theme:   Residential   
Prepared By:
  John Deitz
Supplemental Material: