August Hawkins and his sister Prudence around 1900

Menu


Brookhaven-South Haven BLOG:  news, events, and commentary

 

 

 

 

 

Building Inventory Form

Table of ContentsReturn to Sites Table of Contents

Unless indicated below, this is a transcript of the original Society for the Preservation of Long Island Antiquities/Town of Brookhaven survey form.   Since most of the surveys were conducted in the late 1970's and early 1980's, much of the information reflects that time period. 

Corrections to obvious typographical and spelling errors have been made.  Corrections to factual errors in the original surveys, and updates or comments on the information are either enclosed in [square brackets], or are clearly indicated as updated material from the context of the comments. 

Sites which have a suffix of "S" are supplemental sites not included in the original surveys.


Building-Structure Inventory Form

Murdock House

 If checked, this is a Supplemental Form, not included in the original surveys.

Click for:
 Photos and images

People Links

No Link Available Printer Friendly
Images People Other Documents Printer Friendly
Inventory Code: Br36.188-S
Prepared Date: 8/23/2011
Last modified: 8/23/2011
Original Submitter
Submitter Name: John Deitz
Submitter Address: 7 Locust Rd.

631-286-3178
Organization:
Identification
1-Building/Site Name:  
2a-County:   Suffolk 2b-Town:  Brookhaven 2c-Village:  Hamlet of Brookhaven
3-Street Location:   188 Old Stump Rd.

 If checked, this site is within the Fire Place (Brookhaven Hamlet) Historic District

Ownership
   4a-Public     4b-Private
5a-Owner  (at original survey date):    5b-Address:    188 Old Stump Rd.
Use

6a-Original:    Residence

6b-Present:    Residence

Accessibility
 7a-Visible From Road

 7b-Interior Accessible:
7b-Interior Comment:     
Building Materials 
   8a-Clapboard    8b-Stone    8c-Brick
   8d-Board & Batten    8e-Cobblestone    8f-Shingles
   8g-Stucco
8-Other:     
Structural System
   9a-Wood Frame Interlocking Joints    9b-Wood Frame Light Members:    9c-Masonry:
    9d-Metal
9d-Metal Comment:     
   9e-Other
9e-Other Comment:     
Condition
    10a-Excellent   10b-Good   10c-Fair     10d-Deteriorated
Integrity
   11a-Original Site  11b-Moved   If so, when?  
11c-Alterations:   
Photo & Map
12-Photo Photos and images
13-Map
Threats
  14a-None Known:    14b-Zoning   14c-Roads
  14d-Developers :   14e-Deterioration
14f-Other:     
14-Comment:     
Related Outbuildings
and Property

  15a-Barn   15b-Carriage House  15c-Garage
  15d-Privy   15e-Shed   15f-Greenhouse
  15g-Shop   15h-Gardens   15i-Landscape Features
15i-Landscape Features:   
15j-Other:   
15-Comment:     
Surroundings of the Building
  16a-Open Land   16b-Woodland   16c-Scattered Bldgs.
  16d-Densely Built-up   16e-Commercial  16f-Industrial
  16g-Residential 16h-Other:   
Interrelationship of Building and Surroundings
17-Interrelationships:    
Other Notable Features of Building and Site
18-Notable Features:       
Significance
19-Initial Const Date:   Uncertain
19-Architect:    
19-Builder:    
Historic and Architectural Importance
20-Importance:   This house has not been researched fully. It was perhaps one of the first houses built on what would become known as Old Stump road, but was originally known as Railroad Ave. Railroad avenue is thought to have been put through as an extension of Yaphank avenue shorthly after the Brookhaven rail road station was established in about 1881.

On the 1915 E Belcher Hyde map of Brookhaven hamlet, the house is identified as belonging to "Wm. Murdock," and included several vacant parcels that extended north now occupied by residences. The 1915 map also indicates a "Wm. Murdock" associated with a house on Newey Ln. (According to the 1888 Atlas of the Towns of Babylon, Islip and the South Part of Brookhaven, William Murdock also resided in the building presently located at 5 Newey Lane.) This latter William is most likely Captain William Downing Murdock (Capt. Bill, 1869-1940), suggesting perhaps that the William of this residence is another, a likely candidate being William W. Murdock (1848-1918), Capt. Bill's father-in-law.

A photograph from the Barbara Kresse Collection, was undated but perhaps taken in the 1980-90s. It had the following notation: "Martha and Paul Temme bought their house from the Murdocks. Mrs. Temme came from Germany with Ella Gerhardt. They were both friends in the city. Martha worked for Mrs. Michelsen in the city and then also in Brookhaven. She cleaned the house [Rossmore, 191 Old Stump Rd.]. They moved across the street in Brookhaven to be nearer her job. She also cleaned the Lush [house] on the river. There was a path from her house straight thru to the river, instead of roundabout on the road."

Additional research is required to establish when the house was built and early ownership.

 
 
Sources
21-Sources:      1915 E. Belcher Hyde map of Brookhaven Hamlet.

Nototation on a photograph of the house from the Barbara Kresse Collection.

 
Theme
22-Theme:   Residential   
Prepared By:
  John Deitz
Supplemental Material: