August Hawkins and his sister Prudence around 1900

Menu


Brookhaven-South Haven BLOG:  news, events, and commentary

 

 

 

 

 

Building Inventory Form

Table of ContentsReturn to Sites Table of Contents

Unless indicated below, this is a transcript of the original Society for the Preservation of Long Island Antiquities/Town of Brookhaven survey form.   Since most of the surveys were conducted in the late 1970's and early 1980's, much of the information reflects that time period. 

Corrections to obvious typographical and spelling errors have been made.  Corrections to factual errors in the original surveys, and updates or comments on the information are either enclosed in [square brackets], or are clearly indicated as updated material from the context of the comments. 

Sites which have a suffix of "S" are supplemental sites not included in the original surveys.


Building-Structure Inventory Form

Stephen J. Swezey House

 If checked, this is a Supplemental Form, not included in the original surveys.

Click for:
 Photos and images

People Links

No Link Available Printer Friendly
Images People Other Documents Printer Friendly
Inventory Code: Br36.183-S
Prepared Date: 8/17/2011
Last modified: 8/10/2013
Original Submitter
Submitter Name: John Deitz
Submitter Address: 7 Locust Rd.

631-286-3178
Organization:
Identification
1-Building/Site Name:  
2a-County:   Suffolk 2b-Town:  Brookhaven 2c-Village:  Hamlet of Brookhaven
3-Street Location:   183 Old Stump Rd.

 If checked, this site is within the Fire Place (Brookhaven Hamlet) Historic District

Ownership
   4a-Public     4b-Private
5a-Owner  (at original survey date):    John & Susan Barry 5b-Address:    183 Old Stump Rd.
Use

6a-Original:    Residence

6b-Present:    Residence

Accessibility
 7a-Visible From Road

 7b-Interior Accessible:
7b-Interior Comment:     
Building Materials 
   8a-Clapboard    8b-Stone    8c-Brick
   8d-Board & Batten    8e-Cobblestone    8f-Shingles
   8g-Stucco
8-Other:   Early photo suggests that it may originally have had clapboard siding.  
Structural System
   9a-Wood Frame Interlocking Joints    9b-Wood Frame Light Members:    9c-Masonry:
    9d-Metal
9d-Metal Comment:     
   9e-Other
9e-Other Comment:     
Condition
    10a-Excellent   10b-Good   10c-Fair     10d-Deteriorated
Integrity
   11a-Original Site  11b-Moved   If so, when?  
11c-Alterations:  A two-story addition added to south side.  
Photo & Map
12-Photo Photos and images
13-Map
Threats
  14a-None Known:    14b-Zoning   14c-Roads
  14d-Developers :   14e-Deterioration
14f-Other:     
14-Comment:     
Related Outbuildings
and Property

  15a-Barn   15b-Carriage House  15c-Garage
  15d-Privy   15e-Shed   15f-Greenhouse
  15g-Shop   15h-Gardens   15i-Landscape Features
15i-Landscape Features:   
15j-Other:   
15-Comment:     
Surroundings of the Building
  16a-Open Land   16b-Woodland   16c-Scattered Bldgs.
  16d-Densely Built-up   16e-Commercial  16f-Industrial
  16g-Residential 16h-Other:   
Interrelationship of Building and Surroundings
17-Interrelationships:    
Other Notable Features of Building and Site
18-Notable Features:       
Significance
19-Initial Const Date:   1872
19-Architect:    
19-Builder:  Stephen J. Swezey  
Historic and Architectural Importance
20-Importance:   According to the 1888 Atlas of the Towns of Babylon, Islip and the South Part of Brookhaven, the east side of Old Stump Road was developing faster than the west (traveling north from the road's juncture with Beaver Dam Road). At that time, Beaver Dam Road was known as Brookhaven Avenue and Old Stump Road as Railroad Ave.

According to deed records, this house was built about 1872.

For some 67 years in the 20th century, the residence was owned by the Bennet family, principally as a summer residence. It is currently the residence of John (Jeb) and Susan Barry.

 
 
Sources
21-Sources:      Barbara Kresse  
Theme
22-Theme:   Residential   
Prepared By:
  John Deitz
Supplemental Material: