August Hawkins and his sister Prudence around 1900

Menu


Brookhaven-South Haven BLOG:  news, events, and commentary

 

 

 

 

 

Building Inventory Form

Table of ContentsReturn to Sites Table of Contents

Unless indicated below, this is a transcript of the original Society for the Preservation of Long Island Antiquities/Town of Brookhaven survey form.   Since most of the surveys were conducted in the late 1970's and early 1980's, much of the information reflects that time period. 

Corrections to obvious typographical and spelling errors have been made.  Corrections to factual errors in the original surveys, and updates or comments on the information are either enclosed in [square brackets], or are clearly indicated as updated material from the context of the comments. 

Sites which have a suffix of "S" are supplemental sites not included in the original surveys.


Building-Structure Inventory Form

Swezey-DeHond house

 If checked, this is a Supplemental Form, not included in the original surveys.

Click for:
 Photos and images

People Links

No Link Available Printer Friendly
Images People Other Documents Printer Friendly
Inventory Code: Br32A
Prepared Date: 3/10/1975
Last modified: 1/6/2011
Original Submitter
Submitter Name: Mrs. Paul W. Bigelow
Submitter Address: 7 Thornhedge Road

Organization: Bellport-Brookhaven Historical Society
Identification
1-Building/Site Name:  
2a-County:   Suffolk 2b-Town:  Brookhaven 2c-Village:  Hamlet of Brookhaven
3-Street Location:   5 Locust Lane

 If checked, this site is within the Fire Place (Brookhaven Hamlet) Historic District

Ownership
   4a-Public     4b-Private
5a-Owner  (at original survey date):    Alexandre H. S. DeHond 5b-Address:    same also New York City
Use

6a-Original:    private home

6b-Present:    same

Accessibility
 7a-Visible From Road

 7b-Interior Accessible:
7b-Interior Comment:   by appointment  
Building Materials 
   8a-Clapboard    8b-Stone    8c-Brick
   8d-Board & Batten    8e-Cobblestone    8f-Shingles
   8g-Stucco
8-Other:     
Structural System
   9a-Wood Frame Interlocking Joints    9b-Wood Frame Light Members:    9c-Masonry:
    9d-Metal
9d-Metal Comment:     
   9e-Other
9e-Other Comment:     
Condition
    10a-Excellent   10b-Good   10c-Fair     10d-Deteriorated
Integrity
   11a-Original Site  11b-Moved   If so, when?   1928 by Swezey family from Beaver Dam Rd.
11c-Alterations:   
Photo & Map
12-Photo Photos and images
13-Map
Threats
  14a-None Known:    14b-Zoning   14c-Roads
  14d-Developers :   14e-Deterioration
14f-Other:     
14-Comment:     
Related Outbuildings
and Property

  15a-Barn   15b-Carriage House  15c-Garage
  15d-Privy   15e-Shed   15f-Greenhouse
  15g-Shop   15h-Gardens   15i-Landscape Features
15i-Landscape Features:   old gate, with iron chain and collar, for closing
15j-Other:   
15-Comment:     
Surroundings of the Building
  16a-Open Land   16b-Woodland   16c-Scattered Bldgs.
  16d-Densely Built-up   16e-Commercial  16f-Industrial
  16g-Residential 16h-Other:   
Interrelationship of Building and Surroundings
17-Interrelationships:    
Other Notable Features of Building and Site
18-Notable Features: Boxed in narrow, steep staircase; exposed beams; small windows      
Significance
19-Initial Const Date:   1738 Considered by all to be the oldest house in this vicinity. [Beaver Dam Road was completed in 1737.]
19-Architect:    
19-Builder:  A member of the Rose family  
Historic and Architectural Importance
20-Importance:     
Sources
21-Sources:      1873 Brookhaven Map as E. Swezey, house still on Beaver Dam Road before removed to Locust St. (Beers-Comstock map)  
Theme
22-Theme:     
Prepared By:
 
Supplemental Material: 
  29 Mar 1947, Suffolk County Deeds, L2689, pg. 533: The house was sold by Dorothy H. Totten to Alexandra and Leah de Hond.