August Hawkins and his sister Prudence around 1900

Menu


Brookhaven-South Haven BLOG:  news, events, and commentary

 

 

 

 

 

Building Inventory Form

Table of ContentsReturn to Sites Table of Contents

Unless indicated below, this is a transcript of the original Society for the Preservation of Long Island Antiquities/Town of Brookhaven survey form.   Since most of the surveys were conducted in the late 1970's and early 1980's, much of the information reflects that time period. 

Corrections to obvious typographical and spelling errors have been made.  Corrections to factual errors in the original surveys, and updates or comments on the information are either enclosed in [square brackets], or are clearly indicated as updated material from the context of the comments. 

Sites which have a suffix of "S" are supplemental sites not included in the original surveys.


Building-Structure Inventory Form

Miller House and Farm (Allardt/Geraghty house)

 If checked, this is a Supplemental Form, not included in the original surveys.

Click for:
 Photos and images

People Links

Related Sites Printer Friendly
Images People Other Documents Printer Friendly
Inventory Code: Br30C
Prepared Date: 3/10/1975
Last modified: 8/14/2015
Original Submitter
Submitter Name: Mrs. Paul W. Bigelow
Submitter Address: 7 Thornhedge Road

Organization: Bellport-Brookhaven Historical Society
Identification
1-Building/Site Name:  
2a-County:   Suffolk 2b-Town:  Brookhaven 2c-Village:  Hamlet of Brookhaven
3-Street Location:   9 Fireplace Neck Road

 If checked, this site is within the Fire Place (Brookhaven Hamlet) Historic District

Ownership
   4a-Public     4b-Private
5a-Owner  (at original survey date):    Frederick E. Allardt 5b-Address:    Fireplace Rd., Brookhaven
Use

6a-Original:    farmhouse, post office

6b-Present:    private home

Accessibility
 7a-Visible From Road

 7b-Interior Accessible:
7b-Interior Comment:   appointment only  
Building Materials 
   8a-Clapboard    8b-Stone    8c-Brick
   8d-Board & Batten    8e-Cobblestone    8f-Shingles
   8g-Stucco
8-Other:     
Structural System
   9a-Wood Frame Interlocking Joints    9b-Wood Frame Light Members:    9c-Masonry:
    9d-Metal
9d-Metal Comment:     
   9e-Other
9e-Other Comment:     
Condition
    10a-Excellent   10b-Good   10c-Fair     10d-Deteriorated
Integrity
   11a-Original Site  11b-Moved   If so, when?  
11c-Alterations:  [The north portion of the house was added after 1815 by Nathaniel Miller, Jr. (1815-1896).]  
Photo & Map
12-Photo Photos and images
13-Map
Threats
  14a-None Known:    14b-Zoning   14c-Roads
  14d-Developers :   14e-Deterioration
14f-Other:     
14-Comment:     
Related Outbuildings
and Property

  15a-Barn   15b-Carriage House  15c-Garage
  15d-Privy   15e-Shed   15f-Greenhouse
  15g-Shop   15h-Gardens   15i-Landscape Features
15i-Landscape Features:   Williamsburg type gardens
15j-Other:  blacksmith shop (originally Dr. Miller's  
15-Comment:     
Surroundings of the Building
  16a-Open Land   16b-Woodland   16c-Scattered Bldgs.
  16d-Densely Built-up   16e-Commercial  16f-Industrial
  16g-Residential 16h-Other:   picket fence
Interrelationship of Building and Surroundings
17-Interrelationships:    
Other Notable Features of Building and Site
18-Notable Features:       
Significance
19-Initial Const Date:   South portion (with entry facing south) built 1815 for Dr. Nathaniel Miller
19-Architect:    
19-Builder:    
Historic and Architectural Importance
20-Importance:   House faced south, not road. Front door center of present porch. Dr. Miller had built the cellar of heavy wood, like a barge, to keep water out when the brook overflowed. Post office 1818, 1829, 1849.   
Sources
21-Sources:      on 1858 map of "Fireplace", "Dr. N. Miller" (Chace). On Brookhaven 1873 map, as "N. Miller res." Pictured in "Bellport-Brookhaven" book published 1968 by Bellport Brookhaven Historical Society. ** ["Early Photographs of the Hamlet of Brookhaven collected by George Perley Morse 1945-1949."]  
Theme
22-Theme:     
Prepared By:
 
Supplemental Material: 
 

** [George Perley Morse indicates --

"Home built by Dr. Nathaniel Miller who came from a place called Springs, near East Hampton. Elijah and Abigail were his father and mother, and he was born April 17, 1784. Doctor Miller's wife was the daughter of Sarah and Col. John Havens. Two of the children were born (Mary and Nathaniel) were born about 1815 in the house of Elizabeth Ellison, while the doctor was building his home.
"The picture shows the older part of the home, which regardless of the road, faced south. The doctor built a cellar under the house of heavy wood like a barge, to keep water out, because the location was near the level of the brook.
"The Millers maintained a complete and independent farm, including a blacksmith shop and a yoke of oxen. They raised and trapped trout from their trout ponds, placed them in barrels with duck weed and shipped them to the city.
"Doctor Miller was the third postmaster of Fireplace in 1818, and was postmaster again in 1829 and 1849. Their home was no doubt the post office at the time.
"Nathaniel Miller (2nd) married Ellen Carman, Daughter of Catherine Homan and Sam Carman (2nd). They had three sons, Fred, N. Clinton and George. Nathaniel Miller worked the farm and also held various local official jobs. He built the north addition to the home.
"Nathaniel kept a diary and when his mother died September 11, 1863, he wrote 'She has gone to that home which she lived to be worthy of.' Of Big Tom Ellison he wrote, 'March 31, 1867, Mr. Ellison died. We have lost a good kind neighbor.'
"N. Clinton Miller was married and lived on the north side of Beaver Dam Road. He had no children.
"Fred Miller married Julia Ashby and had a son named Fred. The second Fred married Lillian Field, and they had a son named Fred. The third Fred married the daughter of Thomas Lyons. They now (1959) live in the old homestead.
"NOTES: Mrs. Jane Lightbody's grandmother was Sarah Havens. Also Mrs. Lightbody was a twin sister of Julia Ashby.
"Catherine Homan was the daughter of Joseph Homan and Elizabeth Hawkins.
"Dr. Miller's box of medicines is in the Suffolk County Historical Society Building at Riverhead."