August Hawkins and his sister Prudence around 1900

Menu


Brookhaven-South Haven BLOG:  news, events, and commentary

 

 

 

 

 

Building Inventory Form

Table of ContentsReturn to Sites Table of Contents

Unless indicated below, this is a transcript of the original Society for the Preservation of Long Island Antiquities/Town of Brookhaven survey form.   Since most of the surveys were conducted in the late 1970's and early 1980's, much of the information reflects that time period. 

Corrections to obvious typographical and spelling errors have been made.  Corrections to factual errors in the original surveys, and updates or comments on the information are either enclosed in [square brackets], or are clearly indicated as updated material from the context of the comments. 

Sites which have a suffix of "S" are supplemental sites not included in the original surveys.


Building-Structure Inventory Form

Wellington house "The Meadows"

 If checked, this is a Supplemental Form, not included in the original surveys.

Click for:
 Photos and images

People Links

Related Sites Printer Friendly
Images People Other Documents Printer Friendly
Inventory Code: Br30
Prepared Date: 9/9/1982
Last modified: 10/3/2008
Original Submitter
Submitter Name: Town of Brookhaven/SPLIA
Submitter Address: Town Hall
205 S. Ocean Ave.
631-634-7806
Organization: Brookhaven Community Development Agency
Identification
1-Building/Site Name:  
2a-County:   Suffolk 2b-Town:  Brookhaven 2c-Village:  Hamlet of Brookhaven
3-Street Location:   end of Meadow Lane

 If checked, this site is within the Fire Place (Brookhaven Hamlet) Historic District

Ownership
   4a-Public     4b-Private
5a-Owner  (at original survey date):    U.S. Fish & Wildlife 5b-Address:    c/o Spaulding, Smith Road, Shirley, N.Y.
Use

6a-Original:    residence

6b-Present:    empty

Accessibility
 7a-Visible From Road

 7b-Interior Accessible:
7b-Interior Comment:   by appointment  
Building Materials 
   8a-Clapboard    8b-Stone    8c-Brick
   8d-Board & Batten    8e-Cobblestone    8f-Shingles
   8g-Stucco
8-Other:     
Structural System
   9a-Wood Frame Interlocking Joints    9b-Wood Frame Light Members:    9c-Masonry:
    9d-Metal
9d-Metal Comment:     
   9e-Other
9e-Other Comment:     
Condition
    10a-Excellent   10b-Good   10c-Fair     10d-Deteriorated
Integrity
   11a-Original Site  11b-Moved   If so, when?  
11c-Alterations:   
Photo & Map
12-Photo Photos and images
13-Map
Threats
  14a-None Known:    14b-Zoning   14c-Roads
  14d-Developers :   14e-Deterioration
14f-Other:     
14-Comment:     
Related Outbuildings
and Property

  15a-Barn   15b-Carriage House  15c-Garage
  15d-Privy   15e-Shed   15f-Greenhouse
  15g-Shop   15h-Gardens   15i-Landscape Features
15i-Landscape Features:   overlooks wetlands to the Carman's River
15j-Other:  maid's cottage, stable, 2nd barn  
15-Comment:     
Surroundings of the Building
  16a-Open Land   16b-Woodland   16c-Scattered Bldgs.
  16d-Densely Built-up   16e-Commercial  16f-Industrial
  16g-Residential 16h-Other:   
Interrelationship of Building and Surroundings
17-Interrelationships:   This house is located on the southeast end of Fireplace Neck and overlooks wetlands and uplands characteristic of the south shore of Long Island  
Other Notable Features of Building and Site
18-Notable Features: The Fish and Wildlife Service hope to convert this building to use as a Nature Center, educational facility, and headquarters for their staff. Also see MA26 and SH1A.      
Significance
19-Initial Const Date:   v. 1932
19-Architect:    
19-Builder:    
Historic and Architectural Importance
20-Importance:   2 1/2 story, 5 bay, center entrance, gambrel roof, shingled house with center chimney. Front entrance with sidelights and curved vaulted porch roof typical of the area. 1 1/2 story gable roof wing on southwest with multi-paned windows. Terraced walkway behind leads to maid's cottage in similar style. Formal garden in back. Large garage designed like a carriage house. Very large gambrel roof barn, stables and pig house in gray shingles. Estate architecture typical of the North Shore rather than this area, nonetheless uses all the elements of local vernacular early 18th century buildings.

[This property, along with adjacent properties along Beaver Dam Road, is said to have been owned by William Phillips during much of the later 19th century. He was found in the 1880 census of Brookhaven Hamlet, but was listed near residents further west, nearer to Beaver Dam Creek. He appears to have maintained a dock on the Carman's River. Phillips Dock Road is shown on a 1902 map of Brookhaven Hamlet (uncertain origin); and the Wellington/Puleston family is said to still own the road's right-of-way to Beaver Dam Road (this road apparently was not at the precise same location as modern Meadow Lane, but nearby to the east.)

In 1903, Hugh Harrison (or his wife) are said to have purchased the property from the estate of William Phillips. The Harrisons appear to have sold off parcels in the 1920's and 1930's during a period of financial difficulties, including a large parcel to Oliver Wellington, which became the core of his Brookhaven Hamlet estate. JD]
[In 1933, it was reported as occupied by C. Oliver Wellington, and called "The Meadows."]
 
 
Sources
21-Sources:      Interview: Mrs. Betty Puleston, nee Wellington, local resident.
LI Advance 2 Oct 2008, "From the Archives of the Long Island Advance. 75 Years Ago." Residence name and occupant reported.
 
Theme
22-Theme:   residential   
Prepared By:
  Ellen Williams, research assistant.
Supplemental Material: