August Hawkins and his sister Prudence around 1900

Menu


Brookhaven-South Haven BLOG:  news, events, and commentary

 

 

 

 

 

Building Inventory Form

Table of ContentsReturn to Sites Table of Contents

Unless indicated below, this is a transcript of the original Society for the Preservation of Long Island Antiquities/Town of Brookhaven survey form.   Since most of the surveys were conducted in the late 1970's and early 1980's, much of the information reflects that time period. 

Corrections to obvious typographical and spelling errors have been made.  Corrections to factual errors in the original surveys, and updates or comments on the information are either enclosed in [square brackets], or are clearly indicated as updated material from the context of the comments. 

Sites which have a suffix of "S" are supplemental sites not included in the original surveys.


Building-Structure Inventory Form

Champlain/Tooker Cottage

 If checked, this is a Supplemental Form, not included in the original surveys.

Click for:
 Photos and images

People Links

No Link Available Printer Friendly
Images People Other Documents Printer Friendly
Inventory Code: Br29.1-S
Prepared Date: 12/2/2008
Last modified: 10/21/2010
Original Submitter
Submitter Name: John Deitz
Submitter Address: 7 Locust Rd.

631-286-3178
Organization:
Identification
1-Building/Site Name:  
2a-County:   Suffolk 2b-Town:  Brookhaven 2c-Village:  Hamlet of Brookhaven
3-Street Location:   Beaver Dam Rd @ Beaver Dam Creek

 If checked, this site is within the Fire Place (Brookhaven Hamlet) Historic District

Ownership
   4a-Public     4b-Private
5a-Owner  (at original survey date):    Post Morrow Foundation 5b-Address:    Beaver Dam Rd. @ Beaver Dam Creek
Use

6a-Original:    Carriage house, then a guest house

6b-Present:    Vacant

Accessibility
 7a-Visible From Road

 7b-Interior Accessible:
7b-Interior Comment:   By appointment  
Building Materials 
   8a-Clapboard    8b-Stone    8c-Brick
   8d-Board & Batten    8e-Cobblestone    8f-Shingles
   8g-Stucco
8-Other:     
Structural System
   9a-Wood Frame Interlocking Joints    9b-Wood Frame Light Members:    9c-Masonry:
    9d-Metal
9d-Metal Comment:     
   9e-Other
9e-Other Comment:     
Condition
    10a-Excellent   10b-Good   10c-Fair     10d-Deteriorated
Integrity
   11a-Original Site  11b-Moved   If so, when?   shortly after 1900
11c-Alterations:   
Photo & Map
12-Photo Photos and images
13-Map
Threats
  14a-None Known:    14b-Zoning   14c-Roads
  14d-Developers :   14e-Deterioration
14f-Other:     
14-Comment:     
Related Outbuildings
and Property

  15a-Barn   15b-Carriage House  15c-Garage
  15d-Privy   15e-Shed   15f-Greenhouse
  15g-Shop   15h-Gardens   15i-Landscape Features
15i-Landscape Features:   
15j-Other:   
15-Comment:     
Surroundings of the Building
  16a-Open Land   16b-Woodland   16c-Scattered Bldgs.
  16d-Densely Built-up   16e-Commercial  16f-Industrial
  16g-Residential 16h-Other:   Property sits on the east side of Beaver Dam creek.
Interrelationship of Building and Surroundings
17-Interrelationships:    
Other Notable Features of Building and Site
18-Notable Features: The cottage is best known for it's small pond which dominates the front (south) yard.      
Significance
19-Initial Const Date:   Before 1900
19-Architect:    
19-Builder:    
Historic and Architectural Importance
20-Importance:   This cottage was originally a carriage house located on the adjacent site to the east. (Historic site ID Br29). Shortly after the artist Malcolm Fraser (see) bought the then combined property about 1900, he moved the carriage house west, near to Beaver Dam Creek, and converted it to a guest house. It remained in the Fraser/Champlain family until 1981 during which time it was used as a residence for various members of the family. In 1981 it was sold by Geoffrey Fraser Champlain (Malcalm Fraser's grandson) to the artist George Tooker (see), It is said that George Tooker only infrequently use it as a residence. In 1995, Tooker sold it to the Post Morrow Foundation, who intended to use it as a nature/environmental center. This occupancy never materialized.   
Sources
21-Sources:      Faith Champlain McCutcheon
Post Morrow Foundation Files.
 
Theme
22-Theme:     
Prepared By:
  John Deitz
Supplemental Material: 
  Patchogue Advance, 8 Jul 1927, p. 11:
"A pretty sight is the small pond on artist Fraser's estate, covered with lilies in full bloom, and the perfume is very sweet. The little cottage beyond is a bower of rambler roses."