August Hawkins and his sister Prudence around 1900

Menu


Brookhaven-South Haven BLOG:  news, events, and commentary

 

 

 

 

 

Building Inventory Form

Table of ContentsReturn to Sites Table of Contents

Unless indicated below, this is a transcript of the original Society for the Preservation of Long Island Antiquities/Town of Brookhaven survey form.   Since most of the surveys were conducted in the late 1970's and early 1980's, much of the information reflects that time period. 

Corrections to obvious typographical and spelling errors have been made.  Corrections to factual errors in the original surveys, and updates or comments on the information are either enclosed in [square brackets], or are clearly indicated as updated material from the context of the comments. 

Sites which have a suffix of "S" are supplemental sites not included in the original surveys.


Building-Structure Inventory Form

[Deacon Daniel] Hawkins-Johanknect house

 If checked, this is a Supplemental Form, not included in the original surveys.

Click for:
 Photos and images

People Links

Related Sites Printer Friendly
Images People Other Documents Printer Friendly
Inventory Code: Br24B
Prepared Date: 3/10/1975
Last modified: 10/20/2006
Original Submitter
Submitter Name: Mrs. Paul W. Bigelow
Submitter Address: 7 Thornhedge Road

Organization: Bellport-Brookhaven Historical Society
Identification
1-Building/Site Name:  
2a-County:   Suffolk 2b-Town:  Brookhaven 2c-Village:  Hamlet of Brookhaven
3-Street Location:   298 Beaver Dam Road

 If checked, this site is within the Fire Place (Brookhaven Hamlet) Historic District

Ownership
   4a-Public     4b-Private
5a-Owner  (at original survey date):    Mrs. Edwin Johanknecht [1975] 5b-Address:    same
Use

6a-Original:    private home

6b-Present:    same

Accessibility
 7a-Visible From Road

 7b-Interior Accessible:
7b-Interior Comment:   no  
Building Materials 
   8a-Clapboard    8b-Stone    8c-Brick
   8d-Board & Batten    8e-Cobblestone    8f-Shingles
   8g-Stucco
8-Other:     
Structural System
   9a-Wood Frame Interlocking Joints    9b-Wood Frame Light Members:    9c-Masonry:
    9d-Metal
9d-Metal Comment:     
   9e-Other
9e-Other Comment:     
Condition
    10a-Excellent   10b-Good   10c-Fair     10d-Deteriorated
Integrity
   11a-Original Site  11b-Moved   If so, when?   by Frederick Kost, October 1906
11c-Alterations:  [Some report that extensive remodeling occurred after the move.]  
Photo & Map
12-Photo Photos and images
13-Map
Threats
  14a-None Known:    14b-Zoning   14c-Roads
  14d-Developers :   14e-Deterioration
14f-Other:     
14-Comment:     
Related Outbuildings
and Property

  15a-Barn   15b-Carriage House  15c-Garage
  15d-Privy   15e-Shed   15f-Greenhouse
  15g-Shop   15h-Gardens   15i-Landscape Features
15i-Landscape Features:   
15j-Other:   
15-Comment:     
Surroundings of the Building
  16a-Open Land   16b-Woodland   16c-Scattered Bldgs.
  16d-Densely Built-up   16e-Commercial  16f-Industrial
  16g-Residential 16h-Other:   
Interrelationship of Building and Surroundings
17-Interrelationships:    
Other Notable Features of Building and Site
18-Notable Features:       
Significance
19-Initial Const Date:  
19-Architect:    
19-Builder:  by Azel Hawkins, then lived in by Deacon Daniel Hawkins  
Historic and Architectural Importance
20-Importance:   [Frederick W. Kost purchased the property on which the house is presently sited in May 1906 from George Barteau. At approximately the same time, he acquired the house structure itself, which was originally sited on the north side of Beaverdam Rd., one lot further west (now the site of the Thomas Morrow house, Br25), but it had been moved to a site on the south side of the street sometime earlier. In October 1906, Kost moved it again to his recently purchased property, and remodeled it. Kost occupied the house until he died in 1923, residing there full time from 1920 until his death in 1923. Kost was a National Academy artist, who it is said to have made many beautiful alterations to the interior.]   
Sources
21-Sources:      Shown as across the street from present location on Beers Comstock 1873 map of Brookhaven "D. H. Hawkins."
Patchogue Advance, 25 May 1906, establishes the purchase date.
Patchogue Advance, 26 October 1906, establishes date Kost moved the house to its present site.
 
Theme
22-Theme:     
Prepared By:
 
Supplemental Material: 
  [The chronology as recorded on the back of a photograph at the Post-Morrow Foundation: Originally on N. side Beaver Dam Rd. Owned by Geo. Hawkins [son of Deacon Daniel Hawkins who built house] Bought by Thos I Morrow Sr. & house Bought by Thompson and moved to S. Side of road. Bought by Fred W. Kost & moved south and east to present site Bought by Ed Johanknecht]