August Hawkins and his sister Prudence around 1900

Menu


Brookhaven-South Haven BLOG:  news, events, and commentary

 

 

 

 

 

Building Inventory Form

Table of ContentsReturn to Sites Table of Contents

Unless indicated below, this is a transcript of the original Society for the Preservation of Long Island Antiquities/Town of Brookhaven survey form.   Since most of the surveys were conducted in the late 1970's and early 1980's, much of the information reflects that time period. 

Corrections to obvious typographical and spelling errors have been made.  Corrections to factual errors in the original surveys, and updates or comments on the information are either enclosed in [square brackets], or are clearly indicated as updated material from the context of the comments. 

Sites which have a suffix of "S" are supplemental sites not included in the original surveys.


Building-Structure Inventory Form

Morse-Huston House "Sunnylands"

 If checked, this is a Supplemental Form, not included in the original surveys.

Click for:
 Photos and images

People Links

No Link Available Printer Friendly
Images People Other Documents Printer Friendly
Inventory Code: Br24A.1-S
Prepared Date: 10/5/2008
Last modified: 7/29/2010
Original Submitter
Submitter Name: John Deitz
Submitter Address: 7 Locust Rd.

631-286-3178
Organization:
Identification
1-Building/Site Name:  
2a-County:   2b-Town:  Brookhaven 2c-Village:  Hamlet of Brookhaven
3-Street Location:   295 Beaver Dam Rd.

 If checked, this site is within the Fire Place (Brookhaven Hamlet) Historic District

Ownership
   4a-Public     4b-Private
5a-Owner  (at original survey date):    5b-Address:    295 Beaver Dam Rd.
Use

6a-Original:    Residential

6b-Present:    Residential

Accessibility
 7a-Visible From Road

 7b-Interior Accessible:
7b-Interior Comment:     
Building Materials 
   8a-Clapboard    8b-Stone    8c-Brick
   8d-Board & Batten    8e-Cobblestone    8f-Shingles
   8g-Stucco
8-Other:     
Structural System
   9a-Wood Frame Interlocking Joints    9b-Wood Frame Light Members:    9c-Masonry:
    9d-Metal
9d-Metal Comment:     
   9e-Other
9e-Other Comment:     
Condition
    10a-Excellent   10b-Good   10c-Fair     10d-Deteriorated
Integrity
   11a-Original Site  11b-Moved   If so, when?  
11c-Alterations:   
Photo & Map
12-Photo Photos and images
13-Map
Threats
  14a-None Known:    14b-Zoning   14c-Roads
  14d-Developers :   14e-Deterioration
14f-Other:     
14-Comment:     
Related Outbuildings
and Property

  15a-Barn   15b-Carriage House  15c-Garage
  15d-Privy   15e-Shed   15f-Greenhouse
  15g-Shop   15h-Gardens   15i-Landscape Features
15i-Landscape Features:   
15j-Other:   
15-Comment:     
Surroundings of the Building
  16a-Open Land   16b-Woodland   16c-Scattered Bldgs.
  16d-Densely Built-up   16e-Commercial  16f-Industrial
  16g-Residential 16h-Other:   
Interrelationship of Building and Surroundings
17-Interrelationships:    
Other Notable Features of Building and Site
18-Notable Features:       
Significance
19-Initial Const Date:   About 1929
19-Architect:    
19-Builder:  Norman Fairlie Nelson, Jr., who also built the similar house directly across the street, for his uncle Ogden Nelson.  
Historic and Architectural Importance
20-Importance:  

This house is typical of summer houses built on the road before the WWII. All are based on traditional Long Island designs, the main section of this house being an interpretation of typical Georgian designs.

In 1933, this house was reported to be occupied by Norman Huston and called "Sunnylands." Later it was owned by George Morse, local antique dealer and one of the founders of the Bellport-Brookhaven Historical Society.

 
 
Sources
21-Sources:      Long Island Advance, Patchogue, NY 2 October 2008. "From the Archives of the Long Island Advance, 75 Years ago." Occupant and dwelling name.  
Theme
22-Theme:   Residential   
Prepared By:
  J. Deitz
Supplemental Material: 
  Patchogue Advance, 12 April 1929. p. 16. The following brief note from the Advance probably refers to this residence: "Ogden Nelson of Flushing has purchased a plot of land from Mrs. Thomas Morrow on Beaver Dam Road, opposite Mina Kost estate, on which he intends to erect a fine residence. Mr. Nelson is a brother of Norman and Desmond Nelson of this village [Brookhaven]."