August Hawkins and his sister Prudence around 1900

Menu


Brookhaven-South Haven BLOG:  news, events, and commentary

 

 

 

 

 

Building Inventory Form

Table of ContentsReturn to Sites Table of Contents

Unless indicated below, this is a transcript of the original Society for the Preservation of Long Island Antiquities/Town of Brookhaven survey form.   Since most of the surveys were conducted in the late 1970's and early 1980's, much of the information reflects that time period. 

Corrections to obvious typographical and spelling errors have been made.  Corrections to factual errors in the original surveys, and updates or comments on the information are either enclosed in [square brackets], or are clearly indicated as updated material from the context of the comments. 

Sites which have a suffix of "S" are supplemental sites not included in the original surveys.


Building-Structure Inventory Form

Selah [Herman] Hawkins house

 If checked, this is a Supplemental Form, not included in the original surveys.

Click for:
 Photos and images

People Links

No Link Available Printer Friendly
Images People Other Documents Printer Friendly
Inventory Code: Br20
Prepared Date: 8/16/1982
Last modified: 9/6/2013
Original Submitter
Submitter Name: Town of Brookhaven/SPLIA
Submitter Address: Town Hall
205 S. Ocean Ave.
631-634-7806
Organization: Brookhaven Community Development Agency
Identification
1-Building/Site Name:  
2a-County:   Suffolk 2b-Town:  Brookhaven 2c-Village:  Hamlet of Brookhaven
3-Street Location:   311 Beaver Dam Road

 If checked, this site is within the Fire Place (Brookhaven Hamlet) Historic District

Ownership
   4a-Public     4b-Private
5a-Owner  (at original survey date):    Thomas B. Williams 5b-Address:    311 Beaver Dam Road, north side
Use

6a-Original:    residence

6b-Present:    residence

Accessibility
 7a-Visible From Road

 7b-Interior Accessible:
7b-Interior Comment:   by appointment  
Building Materials 
   8a-Clapboard    8b-Stone    8c-Brick
   8d-Board & Batten    8e-Cobblestone    8f-Shingles
   8g-Stucco
8-Other:     
Structural System
   9a-Wood Frame Interlocking Joints    9b-Wood Frame Light Members:    9c-Masonry:
    9d-Metal
9d-Metal Comment:     
   9e-Other
9e-Other Comment:   9b-addition on rear  
Condition
    10a-Excellent   10b-Good   10c-Fair     10d-Deteriorated
Integrity
   11a-Original Site  11b-Moved   If so, when?  
11c-Alterations:  2 1/2 story addition on NE rear c. 1913. Enclosed porch on east c. 1913  
Photo & Map
12-Photo Photos and images
13-Map
Threats
  14a-None Known:    14b-Zoning   14c-Roads
  14d-Developers :   14e-Deterioration
14f-Other:     
14-Comment:     
Related Outbuildings
and Property

  15a-Barn   15b-Carriage House  15c-Garage
  15d-Privy   15e-Shed   15f-Greenhouse
  15g-Shop   15h-Gardens   15i-Landscape Features
15i-Landscape Features:   
15j-Other:  corn crib  
15-Comment:     
Surroundings of the Building
  16a-Open Land   16b-Woodland   16c-Scattered Bldgs.
  16d-Densely Built-up   16e-Commercial  16f-Industrial
  16g-Residential 16h-Other:   
Interrelationship of Building and Surroundings
17-Interrelationships:   This house is located on Beaver Dam Road, which was first opened in 1735.  
Other Notable Features of Building and Site
18-Notable Features: Selah Hawkins inherited this house, or part of it, from his father-in-law, Jesse Rose in 1821. It is marked on the 1836 map.      
Significance
19-Initial Const Date:   c 1820
19-Architect:    
19-Builder:    
Historic and Architectural Importance
20-Importance:   1 1/2 story, 5 bay, center entrance, high roof plate, gable roof house with two end chimneys. Four small windows under the eaves on south (font) façade. Original 6/6 windows with most old glass remaining. Greek revival cornice over front door. Brick foundation. Circular brick cellar under east half.

2 1/2 story, gable roof section of another house added in 1913 at rear; also an enclosed porch on east side, in colonial Revival style, marked 1913.

2 Story barn c. 1850 in rear. Corncrib c. 1790.*
*Date given by unnamed source from Bethpage Village Restoration.
 
 
Sources
21-Sources:      United States Coast Survey Map of the South Coast of Long Island, by C. Renard, 1836. Repository: Library of Congress, Washington, D.C. (Section between Patchogue and Smith Point).

Map of Suffolk County, by J. Chase, New York: 1858.

** ["Early Photographs of the Hamlet of Brookhaven collected by George Perley Morse 1945-1959." Repository: Post-Morrow Foundation, RG1, Series 10.]
 
Theme
22-Theme:   residential   
Prepared By:
  Ellen Williams, research assistant.
Supplemental Material: 
  ** [According to George Perley Morse -- "Jesse Rose (1738-1821) bought land of Thomas Helme in 1780. His son-in-law Selah Hawkins [1775-1861] purchased or took over the farm and homestead in 1818, Jesse being then 80 years old. Selah Hawkins died in 1861 and his two sons Lewis [1804-1887] and Harmon[Herman, 1813-1903] inherited the farm.

"This house was cut in half and one half was moved about 300 yards to the east, and was built on-to to its original size by Harmon [Herman] Hawkins. The Lewis Hawkins home stood opposite Miss Ella Hawkins home on Beaver Dam Road and close to the road [about 305 Beaver Dam Rd.]. It was destroyed by fire. The original barn stood until 1952.

See Certain Map dated 1873 by Beers, Comstock & Cline, N.Y.

Selah Hawkins (the elder) was Miss Ella Rose Hawkins' great-grandfather. Selah -> Lewis -> Selah ->Ella Rose]

In 1895, Herman and Harriet Hawkins deeded the property to their daughter Irene.]