August Hawkins and his sister Prudence around 1900


Brookhaven-South Haven BLOG:  news, events, and commentary






Building Inventory Form

Table of ContentsReturn to Sites Table of Contents

Unless indicated below, this is a transcript of the original Society for the Preservation of Long Island Antiquities/Town of Brookhaven survey form.   Since most of the surveys were conducted in the late 1970's and early 1980's, much of the information reflects that time period. 

Corrections to obvious typographical and spelling errors have been made.  Corrections to factual errors in the original surveys, and updates or comments on the information are either enclosed in [square brackets], or are clearly indicated as updated material from the context of the comments. 

Sites which have a suffix of "S" are supplemental sites not included in the original surveys.

Building-Structure Inventory Form

Munhofen House

 If checked, this is a Supplemental Form, not included in the original surveys.

Click for:
 Photos and images

People Links

No Link Available Printer Friendly
Images People Other Documents Printer Friendly
Inventory Code: Br17.1.1-S
Prepared Date: 11/23/2015
Last modified: 12/9/2015
Original Submitter
Submitter Name: John Deitz
Submitter Address: 7 Locust Rd.

1-Building/Site Name:  
2a-County:   Suffolk 2b-Town:  Brookhaven 2c-Village:  Hamlet of Brookhaven
3-Street Location:   349 Beaver Dam Road

 If checked, this site is within the Fire Place (Brookhaven Hamlet) Historic District

   4a-Public     4b-Private
5a-Owner  (at original survey date):    5b-Address:   



 7a-Visible From Road

 7b-Interior Accessible:
7b-Interior Comment:     
Building Materials 
   8a-Clapboard    8b-Stone    8c-Brick
   8d-Board & Batten    8e-Cobblestone    8f-Shingles
Structural System
   9a-Wood Frame Interlocking Joints    9b-Wood Frame Light Members:    9c-Masonry:
9d-Metal Comment:     
9e-Other Comment:     
    10a-Excellent   10b-Good   10c-Fair     10d-Deteriorated
   11a-Original Site  11b-Moved   If so, when?  
11c-Alterations:  In 2015, the house waqs painted black.  
Photo & Map
12-Photo Photos and images
  14a-None Known:    14b-Zoning   14c-Roads
  14d-Developers :   14e-Deterioration
Related Outbuildings
and Property

  15a-Barn   15b-Carriage House  15c-Garage
  15d-Privy   15e-Shed   15f-Greenhouse
  15g-Shop   15h-Gardens   15i-Landscape Features
15i-Landscape Features:   
Surroundings of the Building
  16a-Open Land   16b-Woodland   16c-Scattered Bldgs.
  16d-Densely Built-up   16e-Commercial  16f-Industrial
  16g-Residential 16h-Other:   
Interrelationship of Building and Surroundings
Other Notable Features of Building and Site
18-Notable Features:       
19-Initial Const Date:   1955
19-Builder:  N. Blair Munhofen  
Historic and Architectural Importance
Prepared By:
Supplemental Material: 
  Patchogue Advance, 2 Jun 1955, p. 3-3:  Mr. And Mrs. N Blair Munhofen and children Judy and Nickey, moved over Memorial weekend from Carman boulevard to their permanent home on Beaver Dam road. On the site once occupied by the Edgewater Inn which was run by Mrs. Rachel De Arcus for guests such as Ilka Chase and her mother. The foundations were dug by Mr. Munhofen some four years ago. It was first necessary to clear away the bricks left from the original building, which had been destroyed by fire about 30 years ago. Work was interrupted when the sub-flooring was complete by 22 months of return service for Mr. Munhofen in the Army Air Corps. Assisted by Mrs. Munhofen and occasionally by friends, he again took up work on the house two years ago Memorial weekend. Still partially incomplete, it is a piece of excellent workmanship, done by a man who is a perfectionist.

Email: Betsy Baker, 24 November 2015... [Blair] designed and built that house almost single-handedly.  He got the cellar and foundation in before having to go off to war -- it was covered with tar paper for some years. He ordered the lumber and let it lie on the property to cure for at least a year so he wouldn't be building with green lumber that would shrink. He drew up the plans himself -- they were so detailed that the family joked he'd drawn every nail! He had two light switch panels that could turn on and off all the downstairs lights -- one in the hall near the front door and master bedroom an done at the far end of the living room, nearer the back door, so nobody would have to traipse all over the house to turn off the lights before leaving or going to bed. It was a well-thought out, livable house with what were then the latest amenities -- sunken living room, picture window, wall-to-wall carpeting. He worked tirelessly on it, nights and weekends, until it was finished. We were all enormously impressed by his initiative, industry and accomplishment.