August Hawkins and his sister Prudence around 1900

Menu


Brookhaven-South Haven BLOG:  news, events, and commentary

 

 

 

 

 

Building Inventory Form

Table of ContentsReturn to Sites Table of Contents

Unless indicated below, this is a transcript of the original Society for the Preservation of Long Island Antiquities/Town of Brookhaven survey form.   Since most of the surveys were conducted in the late 1970's and early 1980's, much of the information reflects that time period. 

Corrections to obvious typographical and spelling errors have been made.  Corrections to factual errors in the original surveys, and updates or comments on the information are either enclosed in [square brackets], or are clearly indicated as updated material from the context of the comments. 

Sites which have a suffix of "S" are supplemental sites not included in the original surveys.


Building-Structure Inventory Form

C. Darling House

 If checked, this is a Supplemental Form, not included in the original surveys.

Click for:
 Photos and images

No Link Available

No Link Available Printer Friendly
Images People Other Documents Printer Friendly
Inventory Code: Br16.6-S
Prepared Date: 5/15/2004
Last modified: 2/23/2015
Original Submitter
Submitter Name: John Deitz
Submitter Address: 7 Locust Rd.

631-286-3178
Organization:
Identification
1-Building/Site Name:  
2a-County:   Suffolk 2b-Town:  Brookhaven 2c-Village:  Hamlet of Brookhaven
3-Street Location:   355 Beaver Dam Rd.

 If checked, this site is within the Fire Place (Brookhaven Hamlet) Historic District

Ownership
   4a-Public     4b-Private
5a-Owner  (at original survey date):    George von Bartheld 5b-Address:   
Use

6a-Original:    Residence

6b-Present:    Residence

Accessibility
 7a-Visible From Road

 7b-Interior Accessible:
7b-Interior Comment:     
Building Materials 
   8a-Clapboard    8b-Stone    8c-Brick
   8d-Board & Batten    8e-Cobblestone    8f-Shingles
   8g-Stucco
8-Other:     
Structural System
   9a-Wood Frame Interlocking Joints    9b-Wood Frame Light Members:    9c-Masonry:
    9d-Metal
9d-Metal Comment:     
   9e-Other
9e-Other Comment:     
Condition
    10a-Excellent   10b-Good   10c-Fair     10d-Deteriorated
Integrity
   11a-Original Site  11b-Moved   If so, when?  
11c-Alterations:   
Photo & Map
12-Photo Photos and images
13-Map
Threats
  14a-None Known:    14b-Zoning   14c-Roads
  14d-Developers :   14e-Deterioration
14f-Other:     
14-Comment:     
Related Outbuildings
and Property

  15a-Barn   15b-Carriage House  15c-Garage
  15d-Privy   15e-Shed   15f-Greenhouse
  15g-Shop   15h-Gardens   15i-Landscape Features
15i-Landscape Features:   
15j-Other:   
15-Comment:     
Surroundings of the Building
  16a-Open Land   16b-Woodland   16c-Scattered Bldgs.
  16d-Densely Built-up   16e-Commercial  16f-Industrial
  16g-Residential 16h-Other:   
Interrelationship of Building and Surroundings
17-Interrelationships:    
Other Notable Features of Building and Site
18-Notable Features:       
Significance
19-Initial Const Date:   Reportedly 1865, South Side Signal (Babylon). Appears on 1888 Wendelken & Co Map
19-Architect:    
19-Builder:    
Historic and Architectural Importance
20-Importance:     
Sources
21-Sources:     

1888 Wendelken & Co Map. Recorded as "C. Darling."

South Side Signal (Babylon) 17 October 1885, Page 3:  "Capt. Charles Darling, of Port Jefferson, is about to erect a house on South street."  Event reported by Inez I. Burnett, Local Ed.  South Street was another name for Beaver Dam road.  "Capt. Charles Darling" may have been the "Capt. Charles W. Darling." of Port Jefferson who was "for eighteen years past sailing master of the sloop yacht Orion, owned by Mr. William Cooper of New York, [who] died at his home in Port Jefferson" Sept. 1889 (South Side Signal (Babylon), Sep 21, 1889, page 2).

 
Theme
22-Theme:     
Prepared By:
  J. Deitz
Supplemental Material: