August Hawkins and his sister Prudence around 1900

Menu


Brookhaven-South Haven BLOG:  news, events, and commentary

 

 

 

 

 

Building Inventory Form

Table of ContentsReturn to Sites Table of Contents

Unless indicated below, this is a transcript of the original Society for the Preservation of Long Island Antiquities/Town of Brookhaven survey form.   Since most of the surveys were conducted in the late 1970's and early 1980's, much of the information reflects that time period. 

Corrections to obvious typographical and spelling errors have been made.  Corrections to factual errors in the original surveys, and updates or comments on the information are either enclosed in [square brackets], or are clearly indicated as updated material from the context of the comments. 

Sites which have a suffix of "S" are supplemental sites not included in the original surveys.


Building-Structure Inventory Form

J. Smith-Kouts house

 If checked, this is a Supplemental Form, not included in the original surveys.

Click for:
 Photos and images

People Links

No Link Available Printer Friendly
Images People Other Documents Printer Friendly
Inventory Code: Br11
Prepared Date: 7/26/1982
Last modified: 5/1/2011
Original Submitter
Submitter Name: Town of Brookhaven/SPLIA
Submitter Address: Town Hall
205 S. Ocean Ave.
631-634-7806
Organization: Brookhaven Community Development Agency
Identification
1-Building/Site Name:  
2a-County:   Suffolk 2b-Town:  Brookhaven 2c-Village:  Hamlet of Brookhaven
3-Street Location:   249 South Country Road

 If checked, this site is within the Fire Place (Brookhaven Hamlet) Historic District

Ownership
   4a-Public     4b-Private
5a-Owner  (at original survey date):    Herbert Kouts 5b-Address:    same
Use

6a-Original:    residence

6b-Present:    residence

Accessibility
 7a-Visible From Road

 7b-Interior Accessible:
7b-Interior Comment:   by appointment  
Building Materials 
   8a-Clapboard    8b-Stone    8c-Brick
   8d-Board & Batten    8e-Cobblestone    8f-Shingles
   8g-Stucco
8-Other:     
Structural System
   9a-Wood Frame Interlocking Joints    9b-Wood Frame Light Members:    9c-Masonry:
    9d-Metal
9d-Metal Comment:     
   9e-Other
9e-Other Comment:     
Condition
    10a-Excellent   10b-Good   10c-Fair     10d-Deteriorated
Integrity
   11a-Original Site  11b-Moved   If so, when?   [Uncertain when original structures were moved.]
11c-Alterations:  Porch added. [It is said that the present residence was formed by the moving and joining of two earlier structures located near to South Country road.]  
Photo & Map
12-Photo Photos and images
13-Map
Threats
  14a-None Known:    14b-Zoning   14c-Roads
  14d-Developers :   14e-Deterioration
14f-Other:     
14-Comment:     
Related Outbuildings
and Property

  15a-Barn   15b-Carriage House  15c-Garage
  15d-Privy   15e-Shed   15f-Greenhouse
  15g-Shop   15h-Gardens   15i-Landscape Features
15i-Landscape Features:   
15j-Other:   
15-Comment:     
Surroundings of the Building
  16a-Open Land   16b-Woodland   16c-Scattered Bldgs.
  16d-Densely Built-up   16e-Commercial  16f-Industrial
  16g-Residential 16h-Other:   
Interrelationship of Building and Surroundings
17-Interrelationships:   This house is located on South country Road, formerly Montauk Highway, in the vicinity of Brookhaven Hamlet.  
Other Notable Features of Building and Site
18-Notable Features: This house is marked but unidentified on the 1836 map; it belonged to J. Smith in 1858 [John E. Smith seems to be the most likely candidate], to B. Overton in 1873, and was part of the E. P. Gardiner estate in 1902.      
Significance
19-Initial Const Date:   Before 1858
19-Architect:    
19-Builder:    
Historic and Architectural Importance
20-Importance:   2 1/2 story, 3 bay, side entrance plan, gable roof house with lower 2 1/2 story wing on east. 9/6 windows on main section. Original entrance with sidelights. Brick foundation. Chimney altered. Dormer added in attic. 4 bay wing has a door on front facade, and 6/6 windows. Leaded tracery in front entrance sidelights is especially pretty.   
Sources
21-Sources:      U. S. Coast Survey Map, of the South Shore between Patchogue and Smith Point, 1836, Repository: U. S. Library of Congress. Map of Suffolk County, by J. Chace, New York: 1858.  
Theme
22-Theme:     
Prepared By:
  Ellen Williams, research assistant.
Supplemental Material: