August Hawkins and his sister Prudence around 1900

Menu


Brookhaven-South Haven BLOG:  news, events, and commentary

 

 

 

 

 

Building Inventory Form

Table of ContentsReturn to Sites Table of Contents

Unless indicated below, this is a transcript of the original Society for the Preservation of Long Island Antiquities/Town of Brookhaven survey form.   Since most of the surveys were conducted in the late 1970's and early 1980's, much of the information reflects that time period. 

Corrections to obvious typographical and spelling errors have been made.  Corrections to factual errors in the original surveys, and updates or comments on the information are either enclosed in [square brackets], or are clearly indicated as updated material from the context of the comments. 

Sites which have a suffix of "S" are supplemental sites not included in the original surveys.


Building-Structure Inventory Form

Hubert house "Whynot"

 If checked, this is a Supplemental Form, not included in the original surveys.

Click for:
 Photos and images

People Links

No Link Available Printer Friendly
Images People Other Documents Printer Friendly
Inventory Code: Br10
Prepared Date: 7/26/1982
Last modified: 12/5/2011
Original Submitter
Submitter Name: Town of Brookhaven/SPLIA
Submitter Address: Town Hall
205 S. Ocean Ave.
631-634-7806
Organization: Brookhaven Community Development Agency
Identification
1-Building/Site Name:  
2a-County:   Suffolk 2b-Town:  Brookhaven 2c-Village:  Hamlet of Brookhaven
3-Street Location:   303 South Country Road

 If checked, this site is within the Fire Place (Brookhaven Hamlet) Historic District

Ownership
   4a-Public     4b-Private
5a-Owner  (at original survey date):    J. McNeil, Phil Rubin 5b-Address:    same
Use

6a-Original:    residence and barn

6b-Present:    two separate residences

Accessibility
 7a-Visible From Road

 7b-Interior Accessible:
7b-Interior Comment:   by appointment  
Building Materials 
   8a-Clapboard    8b-Stone    8c-Brick
   8d-Board & Batten    8e-Cobblestone    8f-Shingles
   8g-Stucco
8-Other:   asphalt siding  
Structural System
   9a-Wood Frame Interlocking Joints    9b-Wood Frame Light Members:    9c-Masonry:
    9d-Metal
9d-Metal Comment:     
   9e-Other
9e-Other Comment:   9a- east section  
Condition
    10a-Excellent   10b-Good   10c-Fair     10d-Deteriorated
Integrity
   11a-Original Site  11b-Moved   If so, when?  
11c-Alterations:  Barn converted to summer residence early 1900s. Main house central section added late 19th c. and west section 1940s.  
Photo & Map
12-Photo Photos and images
13-Map
Threats
  14a-None Known:    14b-Zoning   14c-Roads
  14d-Developers :   14e-Deterioration
14f-Other:   may be divided  
14-Comment:     
Related Outbuildings
and Property

  15a-Barn   15b-Carriage House  15c-Garage
  15d-Privy   15e-Shed   15f-Greenhouse
  15g-Shop   15h-Gardens   15i-Landscape Features
15i-Landscape Features:   heavily wooded, on high rise overlooking road
15j-Other:  tennis court  
15-Comment:     
Surroundings of the Building
  16a-Open Land   16b-Woodland   16c-Scattered Bldgs.
  16d-Densely Built-up   16e-Commercial  16f-Industrial
  16g-Residential 16h-Other:   working farm across the street
Interrelationship of Building and Surroundings
17-Interrelationships:   This house is located on South Country Road, formerly the Montauk Highway, in the Hamlet of Brookhaven.  
Other Notable Features of Building and Site
18-Notable Features:       
Significance
19-Initial Const Date:   east section 1830s; mid section c. 1880s
19-Architect:  Maust, architect for the west section addition  
19-Builder:    
Historic and Architectural Importance
20-Importance:  

2 1/2 story, three bay, gambrel roof, Colonial Revival house with sweeping Dutch-style roof on south façade covering wide porch with three large French windows. Second floor porch on south projecting from main roof in dormer form. 4/4 balcon fenetee windows. Lunette in attic. Brick foundation. 1 1/2 story gable roof wing on east is actually the older section, built c. 1836. Porch and dormer added later, and windows changed to 4/4. 2 1/2 story addition on NW is modern addition.

[By the early 20th century, the residence was occupied by the Dr. Nathaniel Matson, a prominent physician of Brooklyn, NY, probably as a Summer residence.]

[In 1933 it was recorded as being occupied by Philip A. Hubert and called "Whynot."]

On the NE stands a large barn, converted in early 1900s to a summer residence; it is now separately owned. [The barn-house was named "Barnstead" by the Hubert family and was used as kitchen, an "overflow" bedroom for the Hubert children as the family grew, and as a guest house. Near to "Barnstead" is a small outbuilding that the Huberts called the slave house. The Hubert family garage has, in more modern times, been modified as a guest house. Both barn and garage are currently (2004) under common ownership]

[The Hubert property originally extended from South Country Road through to Beaverdam Rd., and included about 25 acres. It included several other dwellings, including one for his son, Philip A. Hubert, Jr. and a small cottage near Beaver Dam Road for the pianist Carol Robinson, where she lived after she had to vacate the cottage down near Beaverdam Creek (Br09E); this house subsequently was destroyed by fire and a modern house is now on the site. Also on the estate were several barns and outbuildings, some of which have been converted to residences.]

[There is evidence, such as 19th century maps and newspaper notes, that suggest that the original "core" section of the modern house and out buildings were originally the home and farmstead for the Cornelius Corson family, farmers who settled in Brookhaven Hamlet about 1858, perhaps around the time of Cornelius' marriage. More research is required to determine the early 19th century history,]

 
 
Sources
21-Sources:      Atlas of the Ocean Shore of Suffolk, L.I. easterly section, Vol. I, Pl. 10, E. Belcher-Hyde, 1915.
LI Advance 2 Oct 2008, From the Archives of the Long Island Advance. 75 Years Ago. Residence name and occupant reported.
LI Advance 1 Oct 2009. From the Archives of the Long Island Advance. 75 Years Ago. "Mr. And Mrs Philip A. Hubert and family have closed 'Whynot' and returned to their Brooklyn residence. They will open their smaller cottage, 'Barnstead,' for weekends."
 
Theme
22-Theme:     
Prepared By:
  Ellen Williams, research assistant
Supplemental Material: