August Hawkins and his sister Prudence around 1900

Menu


Brookhaven-South Haven BLOG:  news, events, and commentary

 

 

 

 

 

Building Inventory Form

Table of ContentsReturn to Sites Table of Contents

Unless indicated below, this is a transcript of the original Society for the Preservation of Long Island Antiquities/Town of Brookhaven survey form.   Since most of the surveys were conducted in the late 1970's and early 1980's, much of the information reflects that time period. 

Corrections to obvious typographical and spelling errors have been made.  Corrections to factual errors in the original surveys, and updates or comments on the information are either enclosed in [square brackets], or are clearly indicated as updated material from the context of the comments. 

Sites which have a suffix of "S" are supplemental sites not included in the original surveys.


Building-Structure Inventory Form

Seaman-Ljungvist house

 If checked, this is a Supplemental Form, not included in the original surveys.

Click for:
 Photos and images

People Links

No Link Available Printer Friendly
Images People Other Documents Printer Friendly
Inventory Code: Br09D
Prepared Date: 3/10/1975
Last modified: 12/23/2011
Original Submitter
Submitter Name: Mrs. Paul W. Bigelow
Submitter Address: 7 Thornhedge Road

Organization: Bellport-Brookhaven Historical Society
Identification
1-Building/Site Name:  
2a-County:   Suffolk 2b-Town:  Brookhaven 2c-Village:  Hamlet of Brookhaven
3-Street Location:   South Country Road

 If checked, this site is within the Fire Place (Brookhaven Hamlet) Historic District

Ownership
   4a-Public     4b-Private
5a-Owner  (at original survey date):    Mrs. Edward Ljungquist 5b-Address:    same
Use

6a-Original:    Tavern

6b-Present:    private home

Accessibility
 7a-Visible From Road

 7b-Interior Accessible:
7b-Interior Comment:   No  
Building Materials 
   8a-Clapboard    8b-Stone    8c-Brick
   8d-Board & Batten    8e-Cobblestone    8f-Shingles
   8g-Stucco
8-Other:     
Structural System
   9a-Wood Frame Interlocking Joints    9b-Wood Frame Light Members:    9c-Masonry:
    9d-Metal
9d-Metal Comment:     
   9e-Other
9e-Other Comment:     
Condition
    10a-Excellent   10b-Good   10c-Fair     10d-Deteriorated
Integrity
   11a-Original Site  11b-Moved   If so, when?   by [illegible] in 1960
11c-Alterations:  Dormers added when it became the over night stop for N.Y. - Sag Harbor stage; house then stood side-[illegible] to road.  
Photo & Map
12-Photo Photos and images
13-Map
Threats
  14a-None Known:    14b-Zoning   14c-Roads
  14d-Developers :   14e-Deterioration
14f-Other:     
14-Comment:     
Related Outbuildings
and Property

  15a-Barn   15b-Carriage House  15c-Garage
  15d-Privy   15e-Shed   15f-Greenhouse
  15g-Shop   15h-Gardens   15i-Landscape Features
15i-Landscape Features:   boat house
15j-Other:   
15-Comment:     
Surroundings of the Building
  16a-Open Land   16b-Woodland   16c-Scattered Bldgs.
  16d-Densely Built-up   16e-Commercial  16f-Industrial
  16g-Residential 16h-Other:   on Fireplace Creek, flowing to Great South Bay
Interrelationship of Building and Surroundings
17-Interrelationships:    
Other Notable Features of Building and Site
18-Notable Features:       
Significance
19-Initial Const Date:   Said to be 1779, as a tavern, by John Seaman. [see supplemental Material]
19-Architect:    
19-Builder:    
Historic and Architectural Importance
20-Importance:     
Sources
21-Sources:      1873 Brookhaven Map (Beers Comstock)
"Bellport-Brookhaven" published 1968 by Bellport- Brookhaven Historical Society.
 
Theme
22-Theme:     
Prepared By:
 
Supplemental Material: 
  [The1840 census record was the earliest indication of a "Seaman" living in Fire Place, Town of Brookhaven--that of the Abraham Seaman family. U.S. census records from 1790 forward were examined, including the indexes for the Town of Brookhaven, and the detailed enumeration records of the area between Bellport and Mastic, and no "Seamans", or possible alternate spellings of the name, were found, either in the indexes, or the examined detailed pages. (While the enumeration pages did not themselves define the area, the examined pages were selected based on names of families known to have been residents of the area.) Although some local history commentators have indicated that the Seaman family first settled in Fire Place as early as 1779, I think it safely can be concluded that there were no Seamans residing in Fire Place as their primary place of abode until sometime between 1830 and 1840. If this building dates to 1779, it likely was not originally built by a Seaman.]