August Hawkins and his sister Prudence around 1900


Brookhaven-South Haven BLOG:  news, events, and commentary






Building Inventory Form

Table of ContentsReturn to Sites Table of Contents

Unless indicated below, this is a transcript of the original Society for the Preservation of Long Island Antiquities/Town of Brookhaven survey form.   Since most of the surveys were conducted in the late 1970's and early 1980's, much of the information reflects that time period. 

Corrections to obvious typographical and spelling errors have been made.  Corrections to factual errors in the original surveys, and updates or comments on the information are either enclosed in [square brackets], or are clearly indicated as updated material from the context of the comments. 

Sites which have a suffix of "S" are supplemental sites not included in the original surveys.

Building-Structure Inventory Form

Beaver Dam Boat Basin

 If checked, this is a Supplemental Form, not included in the original surveys.

Click for:
 Photos and images

No Link Available

Related Sites Printer Friendly
Images People Other Documents Printer Friendly
Inventory Code: Br09C.2-S
Prepared Date: 7/25/2007
Last modified: 12/23/2011
Original Submitter
Submitter Name: John Deitz
Submitter Address: 7 Locust Rd.

1-Building/Site Name:  
2a-County:   Suffolk 2b-Town:  Brookhaven 2c-Village:  Hamlet of Brookhaven
3-Street Location:   320 South Country Road

 If checked, this site is within the Fire Place (Brookhaven Hamlet) Historic District

   4a-Public     4b-Private
5a-Owner  (at original survey date):    Fred Hildebrandt 5b-Address:   

6a-Original:    Boat basin

6b-Present:    Marina

 7a-Visible From Road

 7b-Interior Accessible:
7b-Interior Comment:     
Building Materials 
   8a-Clapboard    8b-Stone    8c-Brick
   8d-Board & Batten    8e-Cobblestone    8f-Shingles
Structural System
   9a-Wood Frame Interlocking Joints    9b-Wood Frame Light Members:    9c-Masonry:
9d-Metal Comment:     
9e-Other Comment:     
    10a-Excellent   10b-Good   10c-Fair     10d-Deteriorated
   11a-Original Site  11b-Moved   If so, when?  
11c-Alterations:  Over the last 15-20 years, changes have been made to the facility. These included removal of centuries old tress, enlarging the little creek head (and filling in of its banks) that was once the dividing line for Tar Mans Neck and Dayton's Neck, and modifying the Beaver Dam Creek shoreline and replacing it with bulkheading.  
Photo & Map
12-Photo Photos and images
  14a-None Known:    14b-Zoning   14c-Roads
  14d-Developers :   14e-Deterioration
14f-Other:   The boat basin is on the banks of the environmentally sensitive Beaver Dam Creek. Business interests may be in seen as being in conflict with sound environmental management issues.  
Related Outbuildings
and Property

  15a-Barn   15b-Carriage House  15c-Garage
  15d-Privy   15e-Shed   15f-Greenhouse
  15g-Shop   15h-Gardens   15i-Landscape Features
15i-Landscape Features:   
Surroundings of the Building
  16a-Open Land   16b-Woodland   16c-Scattered Bldgs.
  16d-Densely Built-up   16e-Commercial  16f-Industrial
  16g-Residential 16h-Other:   
Interrelationship of Building and Surroundings
Other Notable Features of Building and Site
18-Notable Features:       
19-Initial Const Date:  
Historic and Architectural Importance
20-Importance:   This small marina on Beaver Dam Creek was founded about 1931 by Clinton M. Smith of Brookhaven. It was sold about 1956 to Tim Hermus. It is now owned by Fred Hildebrandt.   
21-Sources:      Long Island Advance 12 Oct 2006: From the Archives of the Long Island Advance. "The Beaver Dam Boat Basin, founded 25 years ago by Clinton M. Smith, has been sold to Tim Hermus. Mr. Hermus is the third owner of the business, since Mr. Smith sold the business once before and then bought it back in 1937."  
Prepared By:
Supplemental Material: 
    Patchogue Advance, 14 April 1939, p. 13:

"Clinton Smith has returned and is now managing the Beaver Dam Boat basin on the Beaver Dam creek."