August Hawkins and his sister Prudence around 1900

Menu


Brookhaven-South Haven BLOG:  news, events, and commentary

 

 

 

 

 

Building Inventory Form

Table of ContentsReturn to Sites Table of Contents

Unless indicated below, this is a transcript of the original Society for the Preservation of Long Island Antiquities/Town of Brookhaven survey form.   Since most of the surveys were conducted in the late 1970's and early 1980's, much of the information reflects that time period. 

Corrections to obvious typographical and spelling errors have been made.  Corrections to factual errors in the original surveys, and updates or comments on the information are either enclosed in [square brackets], or are clearly indicated as updated material from the context of the comments. 

Sites which have a suffix of "S" are supplemental sites not included in the original surveys.


Building-Structure Inventory Form

Post Chauffeur's Cottage - Anderson/Kerins House

 If checked, this is a Supplemental Form, not included in the original surveys.

Click for:
 Photos and images

People Links

No Link Available Printer Friendly
Images People Other Documents Printer Friendly
Inventory Code: Br09B.2-S
Prepared Date: 9/17/2007
Last modified: 2/28/2009
Original Submitter
Submitter Name: John Deitz
Submitter Address: 7 Locust Rd.

631-286-3178
Organization:
Identification
1-Building/Site Name:  
2a-County:   Suffolk 2b-Town:  Brookhaven 2c-Village:  Hamlet of Brookhaven
3-Street Location:   186 Beaver Dam Rd

 If checked, this site is within the Fire Place (Brookhaven Hamlet) Historic District

Ownership
   4a-Public     4b-Private
5a-Owner  (at original survey date):    Kerins family (2009) 5b-Address:    186 Beaver Dam Road.
Use

6a-Original:    Residence

6b-Present:    Residence

Accessibility
 7a-Visible From Road

 7b-Interior Accessible:
7b-Interior Comment:     
Building Materials 
   8a-Clapboard    8b-Stone    8c-Brick
   8d-Board & Batten    8e-Cobblestone    8f-Shingles
   8g-Stucco
8-Other:     
Structural System
   9a-Wood Frame Interlocking Joints    9b-Wood Frame Light Members:    9c-Masonry:
    9d-Metal
9d-Metal Comment:     
   9e-Other
9e-Other Comment:     
Condition
    10a-Excellent   10b-Good   10c-Fair     10d-Deteriorated
Integrity
   11a-Original Site  11b-Moved   If so, when?   About 1958
11c-Alterations:  Extensive after 2007. See item 20  
Photo & Map
12-Photo Photos and images
13-Map
Threats
  14a-None Known:    14b-Zoning   14c-Roads
  14d-Developers :   14e-Deterioration
14f-Other:     
14-Comment:     
Related Outbuildings
and Property

  15a-Barn   15b-Carriage House  15c-Garage
  15d-Privy   15e-Shed   15f-Greenhouse
  15g-Shop   15h-Gardens   15i-Landscape Features
15i-Landscape Features:   
15j-Other:  Garage is attached to house.  
15-Comment:     
Surroundings of the Building
  16a-Open Land   16b-Woodland   16c-Scattered Bldgs.
  16d-Densely Built-up   16e-Commercial  16f-Industrial
  16g-Residential 16h-Other:   During the Anderson tenancy, much of the surronding lands returned to woodland. The Kerins have cleared much of the site, returning it to its early 20th century fields. The site is now being used for horse training rinks.
Interrelationship of Building and Surroundings
17-Interrelationships:    
Other Notable Features of Building and Site
18-Notable Features: Series of peaked gables, duplicating the simple architectural style of the original chauffeur's cottage.      
Significance
19-Initial Const Date:   Likely around 1900-1915.

[A suggest has been made that it may have been moved before that from a site near the intersection of Beaver Dam and South Country Rds., at a time when James H. Post was expanding the old Caleb Post family homestead (Br09B and Br09B.1-S). A house at this location is shown on old maps. However, now that images of the chauffeur's cottage at its original location have been found, including the incorporation of garage areas into the structure, this scenario seems less likely. It appears to have been built specifically as a chauffeur's cottage. ]

19-Architect:  Jason Ormond, Westhampton Beach, NY was the architect for the Kerins' remodeling  
19-Builder:    
Historic and Architectural Importance
20-Importance:   This house was originally a residence provided by James H. Post to the family chauffeur, John Larsen, while the family was living in Brookhaven. It was situated on Beaver Dam Rd. at the northwest end of the Post property, near to the Hubert estate property line.

The Post chauffeur,John Larsen, was well liked by the family, serving as their chauffeur in Brooklyn as well as Brookhaven. In addition to managing the Post's motor vehicles and carriages, he also managed the Post's boats, horses, and other aspects of the Brookhaven property. --Dorothy Hubert Jones (Granddaughter of James H. Post).

In 1958-1959, Dr. R. C. Anderson, a scientist at the Brookhaven National Laboratory, purchased the house from Elisabeth Post Morrow, and moved it essentially one lot further west off the Post property to a lot that was originally a part of the Hubert estate [this needs to be confirmed. The Anderson lot may have been part of the Post estate.]. Dr. Anderson did some remodeling during his residency. The garage addition that had been added to the original cottage was separated from it and became a semi-attached library

In 2006, the property was sold to Carole and Matthew Kerins. Starting in 2007, the house was extensively remodeled by the Kerins – the original cottage was incorporated into a much larger structure, and is now at the west end,. However, the siting of the Anderson home and library structures remained the same. The remainder of the property was developed as a horse farm and a barn erected southwest of the house.

 
 
Sources
21-Sources:      2007 interview with Dorothy Hubert Jones (granddaughter to James H. Post).
February 2009 interviews with Carole and Matthew Kerins.
Photographs and notations by Dr. R. C. Anderson and provided to the Kerins family.
 
Theme
22-Theme:     
Prepared By:
  John Deitz
Supplemental Material: