August Hawkins and his sister Prudence around 1900

Menu


Brookhaven-South Haven BLOG:  news, events, and commentary

 

 

 

 

 

Building Inventory Form

Table of ContentsReturn to Sites Table of Contents

Unless indicated below, this is a transcript of the original Society for the Preservation of Long Island Antiquities/Town of Brookhaven survey form.   Since most of the surveys were conducted in the late 1970's and early 1980's, much of the information reflects that time period. 

Corrections to obvious typographical and spelling errors have been made.  Corrections to factual errors in the original surveys, and updates or comments on the information are either enclosed in [square brackets], or are clearly indicated as updated material from the context of the comments. 

Sites which have a suffix of "S" are supplemental sites not included in the original surveys.


Building-Structure Inventory Form

Post house - "The Homestead"

 If checked, this is a Supplemental Form, not included in the original surveys.

Click for:
 Photos and images

People Links

Related Sites Printer Friendly
Images People Other Documents Printer Friendly
Inventory Code: Br09B
Prepared Date: 3/10/1975
Last modified: 11/9/2015
Original Submitter
Submitter Name: Mrs. Paul W. Bigelow
Submitter Address: 7 Thornhedge Road

Organization: Bellport-Brookhaven Historical Society
Identification
1-Building/Site Name:  
2a-County:   Suffolk 2b-Town:  Brookhaven 2c-Village:  Hamlet of Brookhaven
3-Street Location:   abt 323-325 South Country Road

 If checked, this site is within the Fire Place (Brookhaven Hamlet) Historic District

Ownership
   4a-Public     4b-Private
5a-Owner  (at original survey date):    Harry Palevsky 5b-Address:    South Country Rd., Brookhaven
Use

6a-Original:    private home

6b-Present:    same

Accessibility
 7a-Visible From Road

 7b-Interior Accessible:
7b-Interior Comment:   No  
Building Materials 
   8a-Clapboard    8b-Stone    8c-Brick
   8d-Board & Batten    8e-Cobblestone    8f-Shingles
   8g-Stucco
8-Other:     
Structural System
   9a-Wood Frame Interlocking Joints    9b-Wood Frame Light Members:    9c-Masonry:
    9d-Metal
9d-Metal Comment:     
   9e-Other
9e-Other Comment:     
Condition
    10a-Excellent   10b-Good   10c-Fair     10d-Deteriorated
Integrity
   11a-Original Site  11b-Moved   If so, when?   1909 [or 1907 (Dorothy Jones)]
11c-Alterations:  Originally close to road, later moved [original datasheet illegible ...].
[In October 1906, James H. Post moved the original homestead, located near to South Country Road, several hundred feet up a low hill away from the highway and rotated 180 degrees, such that the original front of the house became the back. Several additions were added, the most substantial being a 2-story addition on the west side which housed a new kitchen and private quarters for the servants. (Dorothy Hubert Jones).]
 
Photo & Map
12-Photo Photos and images
13-Map
Threats
  14a-None Known:    14b-Zoning   14c-Roads
  14d-Developers :   14e-Deterioration
14f-Other:     
14-Comment:     
Related Outbuildings
and Property

  15a-Barn   15b-Carriage House  15c-Garage
  15d-Privy   15e-Shed   15f-Greenhouse
  15g-Shop   15h-Gardens   15i-Landscape Features
15i-Landscape Features:   
15j-Other:  well house  
15-Comment:   Carriage House still stands as Sunday School for church, on erstwhile Post Property.  
Surroundings of the Building
  16a-Open Land   16b-Woodland   16c-Scattered Bldgs.
  16d-Densely Built-up   16e-Commercial  16f-Industrial
  16g-Residential 16h-Other:   
Interrelationship of Building and Surroundings
17-Interrelationships:   Surrounded by old buildings.  
Other Notable Features of Building and Site
18-Notable Features: Two center front windows original. Front door was in "center" of this part. Original hand hewn beams under this section. House then looked like present "Mills Clark" house [Br09F].      
Significance
19-Initial Const Date:   1821 or soon after (deed 1821)
19-Architect:    
19-Builder:  Calib Post  
Historic and Architectural Importance
20-Importance:     
Sources
21-Sources:      On Brookhaven 1873 map as "C. Post." (Beers Comstock map)
Patchogue Advance, 26 Oct 1906, p.3
LI Advance 2 Oct 2008, "From the Archives of the Long Island Advance. 75 Years Ago." Residence name and occupant reported.
 
Theme
22-Theme:     
Prepared By:
 
Supplemental Material: 
  [This house and surrounding estate was extensively used by the James Post family as their country home, they having another residence in Brooklyn, NY. James Post extensively improved the original Caleb Post buildings, and expanded the surrounding land holdings. The house had no central heating, and was therefore closed-up every winter. Dorothy Hubert Jones, in her commentary, indicated that the move out to Brookhaven every Spring was a major "excitement" as all the necessary accouterments, dinnerware, etc., were packed up and transported, pretty much simultaneously be both the the Post and Hubert (on the adjacent property) families. After the main house was closed up, the Posts sometimes used a smaller cottage on the estate, which they called "Postscript," for country escapes. While also without central heating, it was more easily heated by wood-burning stoves and a fireplace. (See Br09B.3)

From the 2015 Old Purchase Properties real estate listing: "Gracious colonial manor house built c. 1800. Majestic rolling lawn. 1.85 professionally landscaped acres. Large residence with 17 rooms. 7 bedrooms, 5 baths, large country kitchen with butler's pantry. Formal dining room and living room with fireplaces, parlor. Full basement and studio. Well maintained home with original floors and moldings. Secluded 20 x 44 heated pool, surrounded by new decking. Spacious screened porch. Brick patio with arbor nestled in peaceful perennial gardens." It was listed at $1,399,000.]