August Hawkins and his sister Prudence around 1900

Menu


Brookhaven-South Haven BLOG:  news, events, and commentary

 

 

 

 

 

Building Inventory Form

Table of ContentsReturn to Sites Table of Contents

Unless indicated below, this is a transcript of the original Society for the Preservation of Long Island Antiquities/Town of Brookhaven survey form.   Since most of the surveys were conducted in the late 1970's and early 1980's, much of the information reflects that time period. 

Corrections to obvious typographical and spelling errors have been made.  Corrections to factual errors in the original surveys, and updates or comments on the information are either enclosed in [square brackets], or are clearly indicated as updated material from the context of the comments. 

Sites which have a suffix of "S" are supplemental sites not included in the original surveys.


Building-Structure Inventory Form

Smith house [Fire Place Inn]

 If checked, this is a Supplemental Form, not included in the original surveys.

Click for:
 Photos and images

People Links

No Link Available Printer Friendly
Images People Other Documents Printer Friendly
Inventory Code: Br08
Prepared Date: 7/26/1982
Last modified: 11/11/2015
Original Submitter
Submitter Name: Town of Brookhaven/SPLIA
Submitter Address: Town Hall
205 S. Ocean Ave.
631-634-7806
Organization: Brookhaven Community Development Agency
Identification
1-Building/Site Name:  
2a-County:   Suffolk 2b-Town:  Brookhaven 2c-Village:  Hamlet of Brookhaven
3-Street Location:   359 South Country Road

 If checked, this site is within the Fire Place (Brookhaven Hamlet) Historic District

Ownership
   4a-Public     4b-Private
5a-Owner  (at original survey date):    5b-Address:   
Use

6a-Original:    residence [see supplemental]

6b-Present:    residence

Accessibility
 7a-Visible From Road

 7b-Interior Accessible:
7b-Interior Comment:   by appointment  
Building Materials 
   8a-Clapboard    8b-Stone    8c-Brick
   8d-Board & Batten    8e-Cobblestone    8f-Shingles
   8g-Stucco
8-Other:     
Structural System
   9a-Wood Frame Interlocking Joints    9b-Wood Frame Light Members:    9c-Masonry:
    9d-Metal
9d-Metal Comment:     
   9e-Other
9e-Other Comment:     
Condition
    10a-Excellent   10b-Good   10c-Fair     10d-Deteriorated
Integrity
   11a-Original Site  11b-Moved   If so, when?  
11c-Alterations:  Gable addition on west end with modern window. Porch added on front of main house. First floor windows altered. Chimneys gone. [The east side of the house off the living room was, at one time, a sun room with all windows. (Leming)]  
Photo & Map
12-Photo Photos and images
13-Map
Threats
  14a-None Known:    14b-Zoning   14c-Roads
  14d-Developers :   14e-Deterioration
14f-Other:     
14-Comment:     
Related Outbuildings
and Property

  15a-Barn   15b-Carriage House  15c-Garage
  15d-Privy   15e-Shed   15f-Greenhouse
  15g-Shop   15h-Gardens   15i-Landscape Features
15i-Landscape Features:   
15j-Other:   
15-Comment:     
Surroundings of the Building
  16a-Open Land   16b-Woodland   16c-Scattered Bldgs.
  16d-Densely Built-up   16e-Commercial  16f-Industrial
  16g-Residential 16h-Other:   
Interrelationship of Building and Surroundings
17-Interrelationships:   This house is located on South Country Road, formerly the Montauk Highway, in the Hamlet of Brookhaven. [All the surrounding property belonged to the Smith family at one time. (Leming)]  
Other Notable Features of Building and Site
18-Notable Features: This house probably belonged to J. B. Smith in 1850 (According to the 1850 U. S. Census of Suffolk County.      
Significance
19-Initial Const Date:   before 1858
19-Architect:    
19-Builder:    
Historic and Architectural Importance
20-Importance:   1 1/2 story, 4 bay, gable roof house with high roof plate. 1 1/2 gable roof wing on west with gable end to street. 3 small low-level windows under the eaves. Doorway with pilasters. Brick foundation. Typical of many of the early nineteenth century houses in the area, of which few remain.   
Sources
21-Sources:      Map of Suffolk County, by J. L. Chace, New York: 1858. Repository: Bellport Historical Society. Atlas of L.I., N.Y., by F. W. Beers, New York: Beers, Comstock & Cline, 1873 [Email: Joyce de Arcas Leming, 31 Jan 2004]  
Theme
22-Theme:   residential   
Prepared By:
  Ellen Williams, research assistant.
Supplemental Material: 
  It was operated as a guest house by Amy B. Smith de Arcas, probably in the early 20th century, who called it "Fire Place Inn."

There is evidence, not yet confirmed, that Esther Hayes Wickham also may have operated it as a guest house doing business as the "Beaver Dam Lodge" from perhaps about 1925 until about 1929. She later had a business as an agent for a dress manufacturing company at the same location.

Old Purchase Properties listing, 2015: "This classic colonial is situated on 1.4 acres of beautifully landscaped property. Open kitchen with vaulted ceiling. Formal dining room, living room with fireplace and beamed ceiling. Enclosed porch with radiant heat. Powder room and rear deck. Upstairs are 3 bedrooms, one bath with washer and dryer, and one bath with jacuzzi tub and radiant heat. Partial basement.,/p>

Legal guest cottage with front deck, private entrance and parking... perfect for guests or income. Large barn suitable for studio. Garden shed for tools and/or bikes." Listing price: $549,000.