August Hawkins and his sister Prudence around 1900

Menu


Brookhaven-South Haven BLOG:  news, events, and commentary

 

 

 

 

 

Building Inventory Form

Table of ContentsReturn to Sites Table of Contents

Unless indicated below, this is a transcript of the original Society for the Preservation of Long Island Antiquities/Town of Brookhaven survey form.   Since most of the surveys were conducted in the late 1970's and early 1980's, much of the information reflects that time period. 

Corrections to obvious typographical and spelling errors have been made.  Corrections to factual errors in the original surveys, and updates or comments on the information are either enclosed in [square brackets], or are clearly indicated as updated material from the context of the comments. 

Sites which have a suffix of "S" are supplemental sites not included in the original surveys.


Building-Structure Inventory Form

Old [1902] Presbyterian Church Manse

 If checked, this is a Supplemental Form, not included in the original surveys.

Click for:
 Photos and images

People Links

No Link Available Printer Friendly
Images People Other Documents Printer Friendly
Inventory Code: Br07.3-S
Prepared Date: 12/14/2005
Last modified: 2/9/2015
Original Submitter
Submitter Name: John Deitz
Submitter Address: 7 Locust Rd.

631-286-3178
Organization:
Identification
1-Building/Site Name:  
2a-County:   2b-Town:  Brookhaven 2c-Village:  Hamlet of Brookhaven
3-Street Location:   366 South Country Rd.

 If checked, this site is within the Fire Place (Brookhaven Hamlet) Historic District

Ownership
   4a-Public     4b-Private
5a-Owner  (at original survey date):    Dr. Claudia Taylor, DC 5b-Address:    366 South Country Rd., Brookhaven
Use

6a-Original:    Presbyterian Manse

6b-Present:    Residence and Office

Accessibility
 7a-Visible From Road

 7b-Interior Accessible:
7b-Interior Comment:   By Appointment  
Building Materials 
   8a-Clapboard    8b-Stone    8c-Brick
   8d-Board & Batten    8e-Cobblestone    8f-Shingles
   8g-Stucco
8-Other:     
Structural System
   9a-Wood Frame Interlocking Joints    9b-Wood Frame Light Members:    9c-Masonry:
    9d-Metal
9d-Metal Comment:     
   9e-Other
9e-Other Comment:     
Condition
    10a-Excellent   10b-Good   10c-Fair     10d-Deteriorated
Integrity
   11a-Original Site  11b-Moved   If so, when?  
11c-Alterations:   
Photo & Map
12-Photo Photos and images
13-Map
Threats
  14a-None Known:    14b-Zoning   14c-Roads
  14d-Developers :   14e-Deterioration
14f-Other:     
14-Comment:     
Related Outbuildings
and Property

  15a-Barn   15b-Carriage House  15c-Garage
  15d-Privy   15e-Shed   15f-Greenhouse
  15g-Shop   15h-Gardens   15i-Landscape Features
15i-Landscape Features:   
15j-Other:   
15-Comment:     
Surroundings of the Building
  16a-Open Land   16b-Woodland   16c-Scattered Bldgs.
  16d-Densely Built-up   16e-Commercial  16f-Industrial
  16g-Residential 16h-Other:   
Interrelationship of Building and Surroundings
17-Interrelationships:    
Other Notable Features of Building and Site
18-Notable Features:       
Significance
19-Initial Const Date:   1902
19-Architect:    
19-Builder:    
Historic and Architectural Importance
20-Importance:   From George Borthwick, The Church at the South, p. 246:
"Towards the close of [1902] the construction of a manse in Brookhaven village was started. During the century since 1800, when the first manse and land were sold, the ministers at South Haven had to live, at first in the one at Middle Island, and later, in the one at Bellport. Mr. James H. Post gave the lots on which it stands, and with a group of communicants from Mastic, of which Mr. William B. Dana, prominent editor of 'The Commercial and Financial Chronicle,' and Mr. Augustus Floyd were contributors, furnished the money for its erection. It was build during the fall of 1902.
"The first minister to occupy the new manse was the Rev. William Fryling …."

The Manse was reported by Rev. Borthwick and especially his wife, in a private conversation, as being cold and drafty in Winter. By the late 1950's, the building was deemed by both the congregation and its ministers as no longer suitable for a Manse. A smaller more comfortable Manse was erected adjacent to the north. The new Manse was a Shirley model home that was moved to the site.

After the new manse was constructed, the old manse was used in the later 1950s as a "parish hall," and principally housed the church school. The number of children had increased dramatically during the "baby-boom" years following WWII, and the main building on Beaver Dam road could no longer accomodate them.

The original property containing both the old and new manse was split, and the original Manse and out buildings sold for $10,500 to Hanse V. Boehler. This sale was authorized 19 October 1961 by congregational vote.

A "Manse" in Presbyterian parlance is the name given to a home supplied to a minister by the parish. In it's original meaning, it was intended to include sufficient land to support the pastorate. The original "manse" of the South Haven Presbyterian Church was a small farm along the east side of Beaverdam Creek, about where the Long Island Railroad passes.
 
 
Sources
21-Sources:      Borthwick, Rev. George. The Church at the South: A History of the South Haven Church Written about 1935 while he was pastor of the South Haven Church, published 1989 by the Cutchogue Presbyterian Church, which was his pastorate at the time.  
Theme
22-Theme:     
Prepared By:
  John Deitz
Supplemental Material: