August Hawkins and his sister Prudence around 1900


Brookhaven-South Haven BLOG:  news, events, and commentary






Building Inventory Form

Table of ContentsReturn to Sites Table of Contents

Unless indicated below, this is a transcript of the original Society for the Preservation of Long Island Antiquities/Town of Brookhaven survey form.   Since most of the surveys were conducted in the late 1970's and early 1980's, much of the information reflects that time period. 

Corrections to obvious typographical and spelling errors have been made.  Corrections to factual errors in the original surveys, and updates or comments on the information are either enclosed in [square brackets], or are clearly indicated as updated material from the context of the comments. 

Sites which have a suffix of "S" are supplemental sites not included in the original surveys.

Building-Structure Inventory Form

Brook House (former restaurant)

 If checked, this is a Supplemental Form, not included in the original surveys.

Click for:
 Photos and images

People Links

Related Sites Printer Friendly
Images People Other Documents Printer Friendly
Inventory Code: Br06
Prepared Date: 7/26/1982
Last modified: 6/16/2009
Original Submitter
Submitter Name: Town of Brookhaven/SPLIA
Submitter Address: Town Hall
205 S. Ocean Ave.
Organization: Brookhaven Community Development Agency
1-Building/Site Name:  
2a-County:   Suffolk 2b-Town:  Brookhaven 2c-Village:  Hamlet of Brookhaven
3-Street Location:   405 South Country Road

 If checked, this site is within the Fire Place (Brookhaven Hamlet) Historic District

   4a-Public     4b-Private
5a-Owner  (at original survey date):    G. Gilligan 5b-Address:    see Br05A

6a-Original:    restaurant

6b-Present:    empty offices

 7a-Visible From Road

 7b-Interior Accessible:
7b-Interior Comment:   by appointment  
Building Materials 
   8a-Clapboard    8b-Stone    8c-Brick
   8d-Board & Batten    8e-Cobblestone    8f-Shingles
Structural System
   9a-Wood Frame Interlocking Joints    9b-Wood Frame Light Members:    9c-Masonry:
9d-Metal Comment:     
9e-Other Comment:     
    10a-Excellent   10b-Good   10c-Fair     10d-Deteriorated
   11a-Original Site  11b-Moved   If so, when?  
11c-Alterations:  [Converted from restaurant to offices. The original structure consisted of three wings. The south wing contained the rest rooms, the center wing was the dining room, and the north wing was the kitchen and service areas. Additional sections have been added to the north wing.]  
Photo & Map
12-Photo Photos and images
  14a-None Known:    14b-Zoning   14c-Roads
  14d-Developers :   14e-Deterioration
Related Outbuildings
and Property

  15a-Barn   15b-Carriage House  15c-Garage
  15d-Privy   15e-Shed   15f-Greenhouse
  15g-Shop   15h-Gardens   15i-Landscape Features
15i-Landscape Features:   
15j-Other:  beside Beaver Dam Creek  
Surroundings of the Building
  16a-Open Land   16b-Woodland   16c-Scattered Bldgs.
  16d-Densely Built-up   16e-Commercial  16f-Industrial
  16g-Residential 16h-Other:   Small park across the street
Interrelationship of Building and Surroundings
17-Interrelationships:   This structure is located in the hamlet of Brookhaven on historic South Country road.  
Other Notable Features of Building and Site
18-Notable Features: 

This restaurant was built by C. Oliver Wellington, (see Br30) as an outlet for the produce of his dairy farm. He sent a local man [Jim Kinsella] to Cornell [the State University Agricultural and Technical Institute in Farmingdale, NY.] to learn dairy farming.  The restaurant became very popular and eventually served trout caught in Beaver Dam Creek just below the dining room.

19-Initial Const Date:   c. 1935
19-Architect:  [Aymar Embury, also the architect for the Wellington home "The Meadows" ]  
Historic and Architectural Importance
20-Importance:   q story, gable roof, stone structure with three bays in main section. Two, recessed, secondary sections on east contain former kitchen area. Original front entrance with double leaf door, flanked by many-paned large windows.   
21-Sources:      Interview: B. Puleston, daughter of C.). Wellington. Map showing Beaver Dam Creek, from legal papers of Judge J. Lawrence Smith, collection Smithtown Library, Brook House is built at the site of the Valentine store [Brook Store, Br07] which has been moved.  
22-Theme:   restaurant   
Prepared By:
  Ellen Williams, research assistant.
Supplemental Material: