August Hawkins and his sister Prudence around 1900

Menu


Brookhaven-South Haven BLOG:  news, events, and commentary

 

 

 

 

 

Building Inventory Form

Table of ContentsReturn to Sites Table of Contents

Unless indicated below, this is a transcript of the original Society for the Preservation of Long Island Antiquities/Town of Brookhaven survey form.   Since most of the surveys were conducted in the late 1970's and early 1980's, much of the information reflects that time period. 

Corrections to obvious typographical and spelling errors have been made.  Corrections to factual errors in the original surveys, and updates or comments on the information are either enclosed in [square brackets], or are clearly indicated as updated material from the context of the comments. 

Sites which have a suffix of "S" are supplemental sites not included in the original surveys.


Building-Structure Inventory Form

[Bancroft House] "Blue Shutters" (aka Gilligan House )

 If checked, this is a Supplemental Form, not included in the original surveys.

Click for:
 Photos and images

People Links

No Link Available Printer Friendly
Images People Other Documents Printer Friendly
Inventory Code: Br05A
Prepared Date: 8/16/1982
Last modified: 1/19/2012
Original Submitter
Submitter Name: Town of Brookhaven/SPLIA
Submitter Address: Town Hall
205 S. Ocean Ave.
631-634-7806
Organization: Brookhaven Community Development Agency
Identification
1-Building/Site Name:  
2a-County:   Suffolk 2b-Town:  Brookhaven 2c-Village:  Hamlet of Brookhaven
3-Street Location:   12 Trout Pond Court

 If checked, this site is within the Fire Place (Brookhaven Hamlet) Historic District

Ownership
   4a-Public     4b-Private
5a-Owner  (at original survey date):    George Gilligan 5b-Address:    South Country Rd., Brookhaven, N.Y.
Use

6a-Original:    summer residence

6b-Present:    residence

Accessibility
 7a-Visible From Road

 7b-Interior Accessible:
7b-Interior Comment:   by appointment  
Building Materials 
   8a-Clapboard    8b-Stone    8c-Brick
   8d-Board & Batten    8e-Cobblestone    8f-Shingles
   8g-Stucco
8-Other:     
Structural System
   9a-Wood Frame Interlocking Joints    9b-Wood Frame Light Members:    9c-Masonry:
    9d-Metal
9d-Metal Comment:     
   9e-Other
9e-Other Comment:     
Condition
    10a-Excellent   10b-Good   10c-Fair     10d-Deteriorated
Integrity
   11a-Original Site  11b-Moved   If so, when?  
11c-Alterations:   
Photo & Map
12-Photo Photos and images
13-Map
Threats
  14a-None Known:    14b-Zoning   14c-Roads
  14d-Developers :   14e-Deterioration
14f-Other:     
14-Comment:     
Related Outbuildings
and Property

  15a-Barn   15b-Carriage House  15c-Garage
  15d-Privy   15e-Shed   15f-Greenhouse
  15g-Shop   15h-Gardens   15i-Landscape Features
15i-Landscape Features:   
15j-Other:   
15-Comment:     
Surroundings of the Building
  16a-Open Land   16b-Woodland   16c-Scattered Bldgs.
  16d-Densely Built-up   16e-Commercial  16f-Industrial
  16g-Residential 16h-Other:   Beaver Dam Creek passes in front of the house
Interrelationship of Building and Surroundings
17-Interrelationships:   This house is located on South Country Road, in the hamlet of Brookhaven, on Beaver Dam Creek  
Other Notable Features of Building and Site
18-Notable Features: This house was built by Edna Woolman Chase, editor of Vogue Magazine, in the 1920s after she had spent summers in a boarding house on Beaver Dam Road (now gone). It is on the site of Hulse's Land, and near where the public watering place was on Beaver Dam Creek. (see attached [map].)      
Significance
19-Initial Const Date:   before 1925
19-Architect:    
19-Builder:    
Historic and Architectural Importance
20-Importance:  

Long, low, 1 1/2 story, board and batten house with one original Jacobean-style chimney. It retains the blue shutters for which it was originally named. The house faces south toward Beaver Dam Creek. [In 2003 picture, the shutters are missing.]

[Original constructed by Ilka Chase, the editor of Vogue, and her mother. She named it "Blue Bridges." ]

After about 1928, the residence was owned by Dr. and Mrs. Frederick W. Bancroft. [Apparently, it was the Bancrofts who slightly modified the name, calling it "Blue Shutters." In 1956 the Bancrofts made it their year-around home; But in 1958, the Bancrofts were forced to return to New York City because of Dr. Bancroft's failing health. In March, 1961 the home was sold to Thomas White. The house has had several owners since, including George Gilligan.]

 
 
Sources
21-Sources:     

Bigelow, Stephanie, "Bellport and Brookhaven", 1968, p. 47
References to "Blue Shutters" and the Bancroft family frequently appeared in the Patchogue Advance.

 
Theme
22-Theme:     
Prepared By:
  Ellen Williams, research assistant.
Supplemental Material: 
 

Patchogue Advance, 6 April 1961, p. 7:
Mr. and Mrs. Thomas A. White, formerly of Westbury, became owners of "Blue Shutters" on South Country Road last week. It had been the summer home for many years of Dr. and Mrs. Frederic W. Bancroft of New York City and Nova Scotia and winter home as well on Dr. Bancroft's retirement. It had formerly been the home of Ilka Chase and her mother and was originally named "Blue Bridges," The Whites have two children, Robert, 11, and Kathleen, 7. Mr. White recently purchased the Dog and Duck Restaurant in Sayville, which he will alter to include luncheon and dinners, on the supper club order. He formerly operated a packing plant. The White family had been living in Blue Shutters for four months before buying.