August Hawkins and his sister Prudence around 1900

Menu


Brookhaven-South Haven BLOG:  news, events, and commentary

 

 

 

 

 

Building Inventory Form

Table of ContentsReturn to Sites Table of Contents

Unless indicated below, this is a transcript of the original Society for the Preservation of Long Island Antiquities/Town of Brookhaven survey form.   Since most of the surveys were conducted in the late 1970's and early 1980's, much of the information reflects that time period. 

Corrections to obvious typographical and spelling errors have been made.  Corrections to factual errors in the original surveys, and updates or comments on the information are either enclosed in [square brackets], or are clearly indicated as updated material from the context of the comments. 

Sites which have a suffix of "S" are supplemental sites not included in the original surveys.


Building-Structure Inventory Form

Robins' Inn

 If checked, this is a Supplemental Form, not included in the original surveys.

Click for:
 No Link Available

No Link Available

No Link Available Printer Friendly
Images People Other Documents Printer Friendly
Inventory Code: Br04.6-S
Prepared Date: 1/30/2010
Last modified: 1/30/2010
Original Submitter
Submitter Name: John Deitz
Submitter Address: 7 Locust Rd.

631-286-3178
Organization:
Identification
1-Building/Site Name:  
2a-County:   Suffolk 2b-Town:  Brookhaven 2c-Village:  Hamlet of Brookhaven
3-Street Location:   South Country Rd. @ Montauk Highway

 If checked, this site is within the Fire Place (Brookhaven Hamlet) Historic District

Ownership
   4a-Public     4b-Private
5a-Owner  (at original survey date):    Uncertain 5b-Address:   
Use

6a-Original:    Uncertain

6b-Present:    Structure may no longer exist.

Accessibility
 7a-Visible From Road

 7b-Interior Accessible:
7b-Interior Comment:     
Building Materials 
   8a-Clapboard    8b-Stone    8c-Brick
   8d-Board & Batten    8e-Cobblestone    8f-Shingles
   8g-Stucco
8-Other:     
Structural System
   9a-Wood Frame Interlocking Joints    9b-Wood Frame Light Members:    9c-Masonry:
    9d-Metal
9d-Metal Comment:     
   9e-Other
9e-Other Comment:     
Condition
    10a-Excellent   10b-Good   10c-Fair     10d-Deteriorated
Integrity
   11a-Original Site  11b-Moved   If so, when?  
11c-Alterations:   
Photo & Map
12-Photo No Link Available
13-Map
Threats
  14a-None Known:    14b-Zoning   14c-Roads
  14d-Developers :   14e-Deterioration
14f-Other:     
14-Comment:     
Related Outbuildings
and Property

  15a-Barn   15b-Carriage House  15c-Garage
  15d-Privy   15e-Shed   15f-Greenhouse
  15g-Shop   15h-Gardens   15i-Landscape Features
15i-Landscape Features:   
15j-Other:   
15-Comment:     
Surroundings of the Building
  16a-Open Land   16b-Woodland   16c-Scattered Bldgs.
  16d-Densely Built-up   16e-Commercial  16f-Industrial
  16g-Residential 16h-Other:   
Interrelationship of Building and Surroundings
17-Interrelationships:    
Other Notable Features of Building and Site
18-Notable Features:       
Significance
19-Initial Const Date:  
19-Architect:    
19-Builder:    
Historic and Architectural Importance
20-Importance:   Little is known of this "Inn." It is briefly mentioned in a few historical newspaper articles. It appears to have been located on the east side of South Country Road north of the Kosenkranius Gas Station (Br40A). Some say it was located in the structure now connected and to the north of the gas station. Others seem to remember it as a free standing building. From the newspaper articles, it appears to have been in existence from at least 1931-1939.   
Sources
21-Sources:     

Port Jefferson Echo, Jan. 13, 1931: Robins inn is mentioned in connection with the beating of a patron, William Jost, while he was returning home from a New Year's Eve celebration at the Robins Inn. Jost,, who was said to be of Patchogue, was attacked on a lonely section of Bartlett's Road between Middle Island and Yaphank. The three accused assailants were arrested in Mt. Sinai. There is much left unsaid in this article.

1934 - Clipping from the Patchogue Advance (otherwise undated): "Adam Leskowiecz and his seven-piece orchestra composed of Joseph Leskowicz (sic), Charles Reylek, Michael Lutski, John Gasca, Nicj Greco, Archie Petrone and Arthur Beacon, have played at two weddings recently—one in New York and one at Robins' Inn, Brookhaven."

The Mid-Island Mail, 23 Dec 1936, p. 5: Indicates that Mr. And Mrs. Pearson, of Robins Inn, donated a turkey for a fire department women's auxiliary card party.

Mid Island Mail, 5 Apr 1939, p. 2. "Pearson's Robins inn" is mentioned in connection with basement flooding due to the overflowing of Beaver Dam Creek. The problem area is within 250 feet of the creek, north of the railroad line. The "George Waldron's home," Mrs. Kip's home," and "Alex Kosenkranius' garage" are also mentioned.

 
Theme
22-Theme:   Restaurant   
Prepared By:
  John Deitz
Supplemental Material: