This home stood on the north east corner of Beaver Dam Road and Fireplace Neck Road, destroyed about 1920. The smaller part was the home of William Rose, born 1807 and married Everline Platt. He sold the old Rose homestead and much property to J. L. Ireland in 1841.
Mary, his first daughter married Charles Sweezey, a bayman and he built the larger part of the house. He became post master of Fireplace in 1853 and was known as a "copper head" during the Civil War.
Before the St. James Church was built the Episcopalians held their meetings in this house.
A fireplace from the house is believed to be built into the Thomas Morrow home.