August Hawkins and his sister Prudence around 1900

Menu


Brookhaven-South Haven BLOG:  news, events, and commentary

 

 

 

 

 

Archeological Site Inventory Form

Table of ContentsReturn to Sites Table of Contents

Unless indicated below, this is a transcript of the original Society for the Preservation of Long Island Antiquities/Town of Brookhaven survey form.  Corrections to obvious typographical and spelling errors have been made.  Corrections to factual errors, updates or comments on the information are either enclosed in [square brackets], or will be clearly indicated as updated material.  Since most of the surveys were conducted in the late 1970's and early 1980's, much of the information reflects that time period.  Included in this category are sites for which some documentation may exist but are no longer extant often with little or no modern evidence at the site.

Sites which have a suffix of "S" are supplemental sites not included in the original surveys. 

Archeological Site Inventory Form

Ireland House

 If checked, this is a Supplemental Form, not in the original surveys.

Click for
Photos and images People Links Related Sites
Photo People Other Links Printer Friendly
Inventory Code:  Br26.1-S  
  Prepared Date:  6/21/2003
  Revised Date:  8/29/2009
Submitter
 
Submitter Name: 
Submitter Address:


Organization:
Identification
1-Site Name:    Ireland House
2a-County:  Suffolk 2b-Town:  Brookhaven 2c-Village: Hamlet of Brookhaven  
3-Location:  South of Beaver Dam Rd.
Ownership
   4a-Public Site    4b-Private Site
4-Present Owner:  Various   5a-Address: 
Historic and Architectural Importance
John Ireland was one of the largest and wealthiest landowners in Fire Place Hamlet in the 18th century.

About Feb 1902, John Busteed Ireland sold the farm to John J. Gorman. At that time, the farm contained 222 acres. At about the same time, Selah Hawkins and wife sold a lot on Motts Lane to John Gorman, size not indicated. .[Suffolk County News (Sayville), 28 Feb 1902, p. 4.]

 
6- Description, Condition, Evidence of Site
  Original site of the John Ireland home and farm. Property was bought from Timothy Rose in 1836, and the house was built a little later. It was torn down and the interior trim and bricks were used in the construction of Br26A.

 6a-Standing Ruins

 6b-Cellar Hole with Walls  

 6c-Surface Traces Visible  6d-Walls Without Cellar Hole
 6e-Under Cultivation  6f-Erosion
 6g-Underwater  6h-No Visible Evidence
 6i-Other  
7- Collection of Material from Site
 7a- Surface Hunting By Whom:    Date:  
 7b-Testing By Whom:  Date:  
 7c-Excavation By Whom:  Date: 
 7d-None
7e-Present Repository of Materials  
8- Prehistoric Cultural Affiliation or Date
   
9-Historical Documentation of Site
 
10- Possibility of Site Destruction or Disturbance
Demolished  «»
11-Remarks
12- Map Location
    [If an original form, the source map images were not reproducible.]
12a- 7 1/2 Minute Quad. Name: 
12b- 15 Minute Quad. Name:   
12c- U.S.G.S Coordinates:   
12d- D.O.T. Coordinates:  (if known):   
Other Maps:   
13- Photographs
  Photos and images  
Supplemental Material
«»
Prepared By
  John Deitz