August Hawkins and his sister Prudence around 1900

Menu


Brookhaven-South Haven BLOG:  news, events, and commentary

 

 

 

 

 

Archeological Site Inventory Form

Table of ContentsReturn to Sites Table of Contents

Unless indicated below, this is a transcript of the original Society for the Preservation of Long Island Antiquities/Town of Brookhaven survey form.  Corrections to obvious typographical and spelling errors have been made.  Corrections to factual errors, updates or comments on the information are either enclosed in [square brackets], or will be clearly indicated as updated material.  Since most of the surveys were conducted in the late 1970's and early 1980's, much of the information reflects that time period.  Included in this category are sites for which some documentation may exist but are no longer extant often with little or no modern evidence at the site.

Sites which have a suffix of "S" are supplemental sites not included in the original surveys. 

Archeological Site Inventory Form

George Bishop House I

 If checked, this is a Supplemental Form, not in the original surveys.

Click for
No Link Available People Links No Link Available
Photo People Other Links Printer Friendly
Inventory Code:  BR18B.3-S  
  Prepared Date:  7/24/2011
  Revised Date:  7/25/2011
Submitter
 
Submitter Name:  John Deitz
Submitter Address: 7 Locust Rd.

Brookhaven, NY 11719
631-286-3178
Organization:
Identification
1-Site Name:    George Bishop House I
2a-County:  Suffolk 2b-Town:  Brookhaven 2c-Village: Hamlet of Brookhaven  
3-Location:  324 Beaver Dam Rd. (modern address) at Burnett Lane
Ownership
   4a-Public Site    4b-Private Site
4-Present Owner:  New structure replaced destroyed house   5a-Address: 
Historic and Architectural Importance
 
6- Description, Condition, Evidence of Site
  In 1927, there is a report in the Patchogue Advance of a fire that destroyed a home on Beaver Dam road. The evidence in the newspaper article was that it was like near the the Burnett farm property, perhaps at Beaver Dam road and Burnett lane. A 1915 Belcher-Hyde map indicates a Bishop home at the northwest corner of Beaver Dam road and what is now known as Burnett lane. See documentation.

 6a-Standing Ruins

 6b-Cellar Hole with Walls  

 6c-Surface Traces Visible  6d-Walls Without Cellar Hole
 6e-Under Cultivation  6f-Erosion
 6g-Underwater  6h-No Visible Evidence
 6i-Other  
7- Collection of Material from Site
 7a- Surface Hunting By Whom:    Date:  
 7b-Testing By Whom:  Date:  
 7c-Excavation By Whom:  Date: 
 7d-None
7e-Present Repository of Materials  
8- Prehistoric Cultural Affiliation or Date
   
9-Historical Documentation of Site

Patchogue Advance, 15 July 1927, p. 1

Fine Home at Brookhaven Burns
Only Chimneys Left at Bishop Place
Sparks from Defective Fireplace Flue Blamed for Loss of Beaver Dam Road Place Yesterday

Fire caused by a defective flue, totally destroyed the summer home of Mr. and Mrs. George Bishop of Brooklyn, on Beaver Dam Road, Brookhaven yesterday afternoon when sparks from a few papers being burned in the fireplace set ablaze the attic.  It ran swiftly, at first unnoticed, and gained a big headway before the firemen arrived.  The loss was about $8,00.  The Bishops' city address is 147 Madison Street.

Mrs Walter Tamlyn, daughter of the owners, who was occupying the place for the summer, had been packing all morning preparatory to leave for New York yesterday afternoon, when about 2:39 Mrs, Allen Baker and Mrs. Cora Murdock, who were passing by, saw smoke coming from the attic windows.  They told Mrs. Tamlyn, who rushed upstairs to the attic with Everett Swezey, a neighbor, and attempted to pour water on the flames.  Mrs. Tamlyn was overcome by smoke and Swezey carried her to the street.

Fire companies from Brookhaven, Mastic, Center Moriches, and Bellport responded and did heroic work carrying out furniture and getting the Tamlyn children, Walter and Nettie, from their bedrooms on the second floor of the house.

The blaze, swept along by a stiff breeze, set fire to a barn far across the road, on the Isaac Burnett place, but it was quickly extinguished.

The owners state that the furniture in the Bishop place was fully insured and the house partially.

During the course of the fire Edward Waldron of Brookhaven was stunned when part of the attic ceiling fell on him, and Roy Lipschick's [?] face was badly scorched.  The fire companies could do little against the roaring flames as they had only chemical equipment, though that proved effective in protecting neighboring property.  Only two tall brick chimneys stand as relics of the house.

[While the location of the house can not be exactly determined from this article alone, it was located on the southwest corner of Beaver Dam road and Burnett lane. Another house (Historic Site ID Br18B.1-S) now occupies the site.  The 1915 E. Belcher Hyde map places a Bishop house at this location.  A house at 6 Burnett Lane, just to the south of this site, (Historic Site ID Br18B.2-S) was still owned be a George Bishop, probably son George Maynard Bishop, in 1970 when ownership was transferred to the Fath family.  The Burnett barn mentioned in the article was on the southeast corner of Beaver Dam road and Burnett lane, but is no longer extant (see Historic Site ID Br18B.4-S). ]

 
10- Possibility of Site Destruction or Disturbance
Destroyed by fire, 14 July 1927.  «»
11-Remarks
12- Map Location
    [If an original form, the source map images were not reproducible.]
12a- 7 1/2 Minute Quad. Name: 
12b- 15 Minute Quad. Name:   
12c- U.S.G.S Coordinates:   
12d- D.O.T. Coordinates:  (if known):   
Other Maps:   
13- Photographs
  No Link Available  
Supplemental Material
«»
Prepared By
  J. Deitz